Project creep

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
We've all experienced it, start one project which spawns at least another one. I just installed a Garmin 340 audio panel which replaced the ancient Narco CP 136. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who always wants the latest and greatest who removed the 340 and installed the 350 and was willing to sell me the "old" 340 at half the price they are selling for now. It worked great but I could hear static on the radios when the navigation lights were turned on. A quick check revealed the LED tail light was causing it. Changed it out to another LED, no more static. But now each time the beacon flashes I can hear it in the radio. So I've ordered a new Whelen LED beacon which should fix the problem, but a friend of mine had the same beacon in his plane - it's bright as the sun. At night the shadows of the antennas can be seen on the back side of the propeller.

I've taken the opportunity while the plane is down to replace the flexible fuel hose from the tank to the air frame. In doing so I've chosen to replace the fuel senders with Cies digital senders and an Aerospace Logic digital fuel gauge (thanks Shane) in addition to running a couple of wires to the wing tip for a future installation of strobes. Last but not least, I'm replacing the side panels of the interior with new leather and installing new (owner fabricated) arm rests that I can actually use that aren't down by my hip.

It never ends with these airplanes :sigh:

Last edited:
I'm just hoping that it is all finished before the Winslow fly in in March. (We're still doing that.....right?) Also Walt, I can't make the meeting next Thursday as I'll be working a swing shift again.

We've all experienced it, start one project which spawns at least another one. I just installed a Garmin 340 audio panel which replaced the ancient Narco CP 136. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who always wants the latest and greatest who removed the 340 and installed the 350 and was willing to sell me the "old" 340 at half the price they are selling for now. It worked great but I could hear static on the radios when the navigation lights were turned on. A quick check revealed the LED tail light was causing it. Changed it out to another LED, no more static. But now each time the beacon flashes I can hear it in the radio. So I've ordered a new Whelen LED beacon which should fix the problem, but a friend of mine had the same beacon in his plane - it's bright as the sun. At night the shadows of the antennas can be seen on the back side of the propeller.

I've taken the opportunity while the plane is down to replace the flexible fuel hose from the tank to the air frame. In doing so I've chosen to replace the fuel senders with Cies digital senders and an Aerospace Logic digital fuel gauge (thanks Shawn) in addition to running a couple of wires to the wing tip for a future installation of strobes. Last but not least, I'm replacing the side panels of the interior with new leather and installing new (owner fabricated) arm rests that I can actually use that aren't down by my hip.

It never ends with these airplanes :sigh:

How long did it take in shop hrs to change the fuel lines and add the new senders and the fuel flow unit? Thinking of doing that during next annual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done it yet but I'm guessing around 5-6 for each side then you have to calibrate the senders 2 gallons at a time.

Yeah, ask me about my seven week condition inspection some time. Or maybe it was nine. I lost count.

And Jim if you were closer, I would be installing a Stratus ADS-B transponder.

My plane is finally in one piece again, been enjoying flying it. However my airplane tug, a Pride Revo mobility scooter, is getting weaker and weaker. I'm sure it needs new batteries, a couple 12 volt 30ish amp hour ones, no big deal.

Then I took the wheels off measured the axle shafts, 0.75". Hmmmm.

Maybe I could lengthen the frame using 1" square tube and stick a 1" live axle behind it and throw a couple 12ish tooth sprockets on the scooter transaxle and 36ish tooth sprockets on the new axle. While I'm at it up the original 8.5"ish tires to some 13" knobbies that would deal with winter better. Hey while I'm at it I could throw on a couple of 55 amp hour batteries or bigger.

Wondering how big of an airplane it will push.

Last edited:
Good job now you need dual G5s and a GTN650...should be set after that.

I'll settle for one G5 and a pitot/static check. I'm tired of working on it and just want to fly it for a while.

My plane is finally in one piece again, been enjoying flying it. However my airplane tug, a Pride Revo mobility scooter, is getting weaker and weaker. I'm sure it needs new batteries, a couple 12 volt 30ish amp hour ones, no big deal.

Then I took the wheels off measured the axle shafts, 0.75". Hmmmm.

Maybe I could lengthen the frame using 1" square tube and stick a 1" live axle behind it and throw a couple 12ish tooth sprockets on the scooter transaxle and 36ish tooth sprockets on the new axle. While I'm at it up the original 8.5"ish tires to some 13" knobbies that would deal with winter better. Hey while I'm at it I could throw on a couple of 55 amp hour batteries or bigger.

Wondering how big of an airplane it will push.

New motor too. The Binford 12000 ought to do it. ;)

New motor too. The Binford 12000 ought to do it. ;)

If I were to go down that road I think I'd buy a couple of new zero turn lawn mower hydrostatic drives and build a new tug from the ground up. Ultimate goal would be similar to these but more power and gasoline not electric.

upload_2018-2-28_7-23-9.png

Just replaced the tug (power chair) batteries, its good as new now. I still want to do some mods but at least it moves the airplane fine again. I think the other batteries were around 5 years old

Back