What's the best airport for Downtown Chicago?

jasont

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JasonT
Heading up to Chicago next month, what's the best GA airport close to downtown? Not looking at Midway and O'hare for the gas prices, but trying to figure out the most convenient otherwise.

Thanks,

Jason

I flew into Gary, IN. Coleman Aviation was pretty awesome. The fuel prices and tiedowns were cheap. Uber to center city was around $95 each way but no big deal. You can take the train to downtown if you have the time. I had the rest of the family with me so Uber was quicker and easier. I still came out ahead than parking at Midway - although I missed saying I landed at Midway.

Benjamin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used Aurora. Cab ride to the commuter rail and then it's about 40min to get to town.
Next time I'll use Midway.

I have always used Midway and Atlantic Aviation.. still about a 20 minute ride downtown... not bad though. easy in and easy out..

Ok, I'm calm again. What would constitute "best"

Convenient? Midway, orange CTA straight to downtown.
Cheap? Don't know. Chicago Exec is about $25 to downtown - $20 to Rosemont CTA station on Lyft and then $3 train fare. But it will depend on what they charge for fuel and parking.

I have used both Gary and Executive. Both are nice, really depends on what part of town you are going to and which direction you are coming from. For FBO's, Coleman at Gary is great and Hawthorne at Executive.

Meigs. :mad::mad::mad::(

I swear if I ever get the money, I'm going to buy that island back and open it again. The bathrooms will be named after the Dalys.

Beat me to it.

Naming the bathrooms after them is too kind, though.

Land at Schaumburg 06C, eat at Pilot Pete's and then fly back home.

But if you must go downtown, there is a Metra station close to 06C.

Make sure you armor up and keep your head on a swivel, you might as well be going to Iraq.

Land at Clow and stop in for a visit with Doc Bruce.

Use to layover in South Bend, and there's a train that runs from the terminal to Chicago. That's all I know. Sure you can find info on how long it takes, cost, etc.

Ww flew to Gary, IN a year plus ago. Easy peasy. Took the train into town, also easy. The crew at B Coleman took us to the train and picked us back up at the station on our way back.

That was our plan, which is good as Obama was in Chicago that weekend and the TFR wouldn't let us in to Midway.

Got a good story on the lady that flew the biplane into the TFR. She got routed to Gary by the helicopters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Midway is super easy, and super convenient. The extra you pay for gas will be about a wash with the prices to actually get downtown from Gary, etc. I've used Gary once (Obama TFR kept me from Midway), and they've got a good operation but it's really inconvenient to get downtown. From Midway, you can be downtown in less than 30min for $2/person on the Orange Line or a $20-30 cab/uber. The controllers there are great to work with and are surprisingly accommodating to GA.

Back