Modified maneuvers if no inverted systems?

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
The latest issue of the IAC magazine sorta indicates that you are supposed to stay positive if you don't have inverted systems. I can't imagine how that works in a contest. In a Cuban eight or slow roll, the engine quits for a very brief time, and at least in my case, starts immediately when I get positive. Waco Taperwing. Now I'm confused. I keep planning to compete one of these days (gotta get the spin exit down). I would have to relearn the primary sequence.

Ernie

I suspect they lean that way for the health of your engine (oil pressure) and the health of the pilot (fuel flow).

Ernie, I'd skipped the article but just read through the section you're referring to. I disagree with the blanket premise that non-inverted system aircraft must modify a figure such as a Half Cuban in order to fly it safely. It's just not the case. Quite a few pilots do very well in Sportsman without inverted systems. The inverted system issues alone have nothing do to with safety. The author's goal in making this statement was to suggest that newbies who have not necessarily mastered the technique associated with rolling on a constant line modify the figure to avoid overspeed/G issues as many (especially RV) acro newbies may be prone to. Generally, pilots of non-inverted system aircraft have only developed the primitive "Hoover roll" technique, which if applied to a Half Cuban where the half roll is begun after reaching a 45 degree inverted attitude could cause an excessively steep attitude and airspeed condition after the half roll. In this case the suggestion was to begin the half roll before reaching the 45 inverted attitude so that you're not excessively steep after performing the positive G half barrel roll associated with the primitive roll technique most "messing around" acro pilots use. All this is fine, but pilots must understand the deductions that will be made by the judges when modifying a figure in this way.

However, if you understand and can perform the proper roll technique, there is absolutely nothing wrong with flying the figure to competition standards without inverted fuel/oil. As you've already learned, if you have a carb, your engine will quit as soon as you hit the -G inverted 45 line, but will windmill and re-start the instant you're back upright. Your oil pressure will also drop for a few seconds during this time. But there is no need to draw long lines, so the exposure is very minimal, and will not hurt the engine. Even with an inverted oil system, your pressure drops for a couple seconds as the ball valve moves into the inverted position before inverted oil pressure comes back. Sportsman level sequences have no sustained negative G figures like you'll see beginning with the Intermediate category. If you have fuel injection, the engine will never miss a beat. It'll give you at least 5 seconds of fuel before the fuel in the line is out. Anything longer than that requires a flop tube in the tank.

The only caution in flying the brief negative G lines associated with Sportsman figures is monitoring oil loss if you don't have a separator/slobber pot. Aside from possibly having to clean oil off the belly of the airplane, you don't want to end up critically low on oil. Some RV pilots have reported a 2 quart loss on a long practice flight with lots of these short negative G lines. Your flying style, length of flight, and aircraft setup affect how much is lost.

Eric

Another thing to consider is fuel flow with carbureted engines. Mine quits pretty fast under negative G, and unless the airspeed is >125 knots, the prop's gonna stop.

and unless the airspeed is >125 knots, the prop's gonna stop.

Yeah with a wood/composite prop, you can go deadstick if your airspeed is low enough for long enough. Depends on the maneuver. With a Half Cuban, you choose how long you want the negative G exposure to be, and you're also accelerating through the roll, which would likely avoid a dead stick issue. This is why it's always a good idea to practice acro over an area you can safely land if something like this happens and you have a starting problem. I've had a number of acro related dead stick occurrences. Metal props will practically windmill forever with the engine off. I was flying a buddy's Pitts once and the throttle cable broke wide open. Pulled the mixture midfield downwind and the prop didn't come to a complete stop until I made the turnoff. Metal props are definitely an advantage when doing Sportsman acro without inverted systems. You'll likely go dead stick with a wood prop doing something like a reverse wedge flown properly. Don't see those in Primary though.

I promise you my 99" HS 2B20 will windmill for the duration of my negative downline on a half Cuban.
;-)

You've gotta do it Ernie. Everyone would be thrilled to see your Tapering Waco at a contest.

Back