Replacing nonskid on wing

hankrausch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GoodbyePOA
I decided to replace the nonskid on the wing (pic). Has anyone used this nonskid (other pic) or have any other recommendation? And is it a safe asumption that I need to strip the old nonskid and paint down to bare metal? Any how-to wikis much appreciated!

20180213_134818.jpg Capture+_2018-02-13-17-44-10.png

I painted the top of my floats and put fine sand in the wet paint. Worked great. (need to try it on a piece of aluminum first, the size of the sand matters).

On floats I cleaned up the old and went over it with new. On a wing? I'd probably strip it and start fresh. Going over old doesn't look very tidy.

I painted the top of my floats and put fine sand in the wet paint. Worked great. (need to try it on a piece of aluminum first, the size of the sand matters).
Thank you that sounds cheap and easy.

I have used the Randolph compound,not very abrasive,but looks good when applied properly.

Truck Bed Liner Spray Paint: 45 minute job.....MAX

black-textured-rust-oleum-automotive-automotive-spray-paint-248914-64_1000.jpg

I remember reading a pretty detailed thread in the last few months on mooneyspace.com forums. I'll try and look for it tomorrow unless you find it first.

Clean it up, prime, paint then get some of the peel and stick stuff from 3M. They also sell an edge sealer. It lasts for years and when it goes to crap just rip off the sticker clean it and replace.

If you just want it to work, paint it over the old stuff. It's gonna look like a cobblestone street but you won't slide off the wing. If you want it to look nice, strip the old stuff, tape it off and re-paint with the new. We had it done at the last annual and it was worth it. I believe we used the Randolph stuff pictured above. Looks nice and clean.

Clean it up, prime, paint then get some of the peel and stick stuff from 3M. They also sell an edge sealer. It lasts for years and when it goes to crap just rip off the sticker clean it and replace.

That sounds like the stuff I used. At 1,000 hours I can’t imagine it wearing off yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That sounds like the stuff I used. At 1,000 hours I can’t imagine it wearing off yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s all I use on the spray planes. It will last 3-4 years on the sprayers. They are in a rather harsh environment and get pressure washed with a high temp pressure washer every day during the season. I’m sure they would hold up way longer on a regular plane. The edge sealer makes them hold up much longer.

Truck Bed Liner Spray Paint: 45 minute job.....MAX

black-textured-rust-oleum-automotive-automotive-spray-paint-248914-64_1000.jpg
Nice... but why paint the flap? Wouldn’t that just be an invitation to walk on it?
Perhaps that’s okay for your aircraft. If so I guess I’m mistaken.

RANDOLPH WING WALK COMPOUND is what we use and we have had no problems with longevity.

c80a518eb06742e896d5d7f7a81464b7.jpg

An application idea. Easy to execute with the stick on product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I decided to replace the nonskid on the wing (pic). Has anyone used this nonskid (other pic) or have any other recommendation? And is it a safe asumption that I need to strip the old nonskid and paint down to bare metal? Any how-to wikis much appreciated!

View attachment 60124 View attachment 60125
I've used it on several occaisions. It works well. just keep it stirred as you use it. The grit will settle out if you don't.
I usually mask the area, and pour it on, then roll it out smooth. Use a cheap disposable roller. and have fun.
I've got the peel and stick on the step on my Cherokee, and used the Randolph on the wing. After 2 years, the Randolph is in great shape, the peel and stick is due for replacement. (YMMV)

Back