Commercial done, next up CFI...any book recommendations?

FLYGUYRY

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan_M
Finally got my commercial ride finished this week (a bit behind the schedule I wanted to be on, though still not horrible considering I only got my private a little less than a year ago and I go to school and work full time). I'm trying to get my CFI done relatively quickly (have flown right seat for about 6-7 hours while working on commercial) and was wondering what book recommendations people had? I have the Flight Instructors Manual which so far seems great, but are there any other "must reads" out there for CFI?

Thanks for any advice!

Ryan

I liked Wikipedia for the FOI stuff, also some non aviation sources presented the material much better.

Also I'd really try to tutor PPL students if you can, helps tons, remember it's not so much as learning the material, minus FOI you should already know 98% of it, it's knowing where to find answers and moving from being a student to the teacher.

I'd also make sure you're doing your CFI where you want to be working as a CFI

FAA publications. Airplane Flying Handbook, Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, etc. Also take a look at the ACS/PTS

FAA publications. Airplane Flying Handbook, Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, etc. Also take a look at the ACS/PTS

This, plus this book is very handy and a great reference while teaching. Think the 6th Edition is current.

You can find it anywhere, here's one source:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ETAjHfNevpuLVj1zLTSdIlyxi1Cb0HHxoChgsQAvD_BwE

13-32220.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.

James, will be doing CFI where I'm planning on instructing, kind of have to finish it where I am since my funds are allocated to that school. Am paid up through MEI. I was planning on moving down south to instruct but will be staying here in Maryland since most full time instructors are averaging about 80 flight hours per month, which isn't too bad.

All the FAA pubs, and the Kershener book. Looks like it’s all already covered.

For demonstrations on how to teach lessons, I liked these Youtube vidoes by Cyndy Hollman. She seemed like a pretty good role model. You will have to teach lessons to the examiner.

I like her videos too. In some of the videos the audio is a little tough to hear. I think they are using the stock mic on the camera. A remote mic would improve the audio quite a bit. The content is very good and worth watching.

Finally got my commercial ride finished this week (a bit behind the schedule I wanted to be on, though still not horrible considering I only got my private a little less than a year ago and I go to school and work full time). I'm trying to get my CFI done relatively quickly (have flown right seat for about 6-7 hours while working on commercial) and was wondering what book recommendations people had? I have the Flight Instructors Manual which so far seems great, but are there any other "must reads" out there for CFI?

Thanks for any advice!

Ryan
Anything for your written test prep and find a good CFI for your prep. You'll be expected to know a lot, but the CFI checkride is largely a Commercial checkride flown from the right seat while "giving instruction" to the FAA Inspector or DPE in the left seat. One of the best preps you can do to prep is to fly...fly...fly...from the right seat until it is second nature. You might consider getting your CFI-I first, then adding the CFI-ASE later. The CFI-I has about half the tasks and does not have to be done in a complex aircraft.

Last edited:
For demonstrations on how to teach lessons, I liked these Youtube vidoes by Cyndy Hollman. She seemed like a pretty good role model. You will have to teach lessons to the examiner.

Here's a better example of how to present a lesson

Back