First time owner need autopilot

about that... i saw in the configuration that internal GPS is disabled (or should be per STC) if thats the case, where are you getting the airspeed information from (pitot-static off, external GPS off)? what u mentioned is my understanding too, but i dont see that happening if the intAirborne with it just laying on the dash the Brittain is heading bug well ernal GPS is disabled

There is nothing in the STC about removing the pitot or static systems in fact all G5 STC approved configurations hook the G5 instrument(s) to the pilot and static systems, it's not optional in the manual.

An existing vacuum system can logically be removed if it no longer supports any equipment in the aircraft.

The G5 internal GPS antenna is not approved for use in the STC. Per STC the G5 internal GPS receiver can be connected to an external antenna and use its own GPS or be connected to an existing approved panel mounted GPS navigator via RS232 to satisfy its need for GPS position data for attitude aiding

Great question. I’ll take a look early next week and try to figure it out. I’m going to guess it is in the manual somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched it on only on battery power today and it shows gnd track. This confuses me even more, if the internal gps is disabled, which it is, I checked , where is it getting ground track from?

There is nothing in the STC about removing the pitot or static systems in fact all G5 STC approved configurations hook the G5 instrument(s) to the pilot and static systems, it's not optional in the manual.

An existing vacuum system can logically be removed if it no longer supports any equipment in the aircraft.

The G5 internal GPS antenna is not approved for use in the STC. Per STC the G5 internal GPS receiver can be connected to an external antenna and use its own GPS or be connected to an existing approved panel mounted GPS navigator via RS232 to satisfy its need for GPS position data for attitude aiding

Yup understand that, but as per Garmin , posted above from beechtalk, G5 can and will calculate airspeed in case of pitot static failure or even when the next external GPS is off, which is possible if the internal GPS IS enabled. But with the STC that’s not happening

Yup understand that, but as per Garmin , posted above from beechtalk, G5 can and will calculate airspeed in case of pitot static failure or even when the next external GPS is off, which is possible if the internal GPS IS enabled. But with the STC that’s not happening

Interesting because the G5 I took flying laying on top of the dash would not indicate any kind of speeds. Yes it's own internal GPS and antenna are active. Yes it is on the latest software revision, no it wasn't hooked to pitot or static systems. Yes the airdata was turned on in the configuration menu

Attachments

• IMG_3319.JPG
    IMG_3319.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 8
Interesting because the G5 I took flying laying on top of the dash would not indicate any kind of speeds. Yes it's own internal GPS and antenna are active. Yes it is on the latest software revision, no it wasn't hooked to pitot or static systems. Yes the airdata was turned on in the configuration menu

Hmm. Wondering about what Garmin said... another thing I noticed, with master off and internal gps disabled, I still saw ground track... how the heck does that work?

STEC 20-30-40-50 are at best OK, but not worth the money they charge. They're not very aggressive in CDI tracking but they have (exc. the 20) altitude hold, The 55X is solid, but you can get a Garmin GFC-500 for far less than half what an STEC would cost. If you have a basic century, the G5 HSI with GAD29B will get you heading and GPSS under $3000 in equipment + install. Of course you still need to keep altitude, but we are pilots after all.

The Century I isn't compatible with the G5/GAD29, but as a good wing-leveler and needle tracker, it's not too bad. If it's wandering, send the control unit back to century and also make sure that the problem isn't with the CDI it's taking direction from. There was a modification that allowed use of a heading bug with the Century I with an autopilot DG. Also, using the high sensitivity mode may help a little. If you don't have back-up attitude, it's nice having a simple electric wing-leveler in case of vacuum or gyro instrument failure. The Century II is compatible with the G5/GAD and uses the same servo as the Century I. If you can get a coupler and computer for a reasonable price, plus the G5/GAD you'd have heading, and roll-steering as well as electric attitude and an HSI. Just pointing out options. There are a lot of things you can do, jusy needs to work for you at the right price point. My local avionic shop in 200' from my hanger and I spend a fair bit of time there.

Back