Stupid stuff Mechanics find.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
This week I was asked if I would do a yearly Condition inspection on a wood and rag E/AB.
I asked why it had this sticky stuff in the interior of the aircraft.

owner's answer, It is ACF50 corrosion prohibitor.

I told the owner thanks for thinking of me but I'd rather not being involved.

I know you mechanics have seen a lot of stuff like that.

Kinda hard to beat that one, Tom.

I found a fuel leak on a RR Dart engine, someone had installed the union or nipple with the o-ring loose between the union and hose fitting, it should have been on the side of the union going into the case.

The one where somebody RTV'ed the G-1 radome on and it insulated the bonding points causing static noise in the radios, that was a pretty good one.

Shop towel in fuel tank.

Someone should start a corollary thread about stupid stuff that owners find after airplanes come out of maintenance...
Fuel selector handle mounted 180 degrees off. Airplane took of on a nearly empty aux tank - went dry at about 100 AGL. Fortunately, it was a really long runway.

Someone should start a corollary thread about stupid stuff that owners find after airplanes come out of maintenance...
So far it’s been mostly tools that techs have left for me. 1 cleco and one nice T-handle Allen wrench. Leaving thermocouple wires disconnected doesn’t really count does it?

I once had a rental that somehow was placed back on the line with the inspection covers still open (held on with one screw each). I suppose it came out of inspection or something.

I have discovered the electric trim adjusted to the full down position.
The master has been left on resulting in a completely dead battery.
Unnecessary plackards were placed on my panel and took paint when I removed them; it was pleasant being charged for the plackards too.
Perfectly good tires were removed from the plane and broken down to inspect perfectly good tubes only to pinch the perfectly good tube trying to put it back together; I was charged for the labor and replacement tube.
During an avionics install, the static system was reinstalled as a closed system with no connection to outside air or even cockpit air.

the shredded remains of a shop towel inside an engine.

Had one of these cause an engine failure on a Clipper I purchased and had flown from Kansas City to Des Moines. It quit in the pattern while getting my 'official' instructor check-out in the a/c, after flying it home. Took it apart, and lo, and behold...

Jim

This week I was asked if I would do a yearly Condition inspection on a wood and rag E/AB.
I asked why it had this sticky stuff in the interior of the aircraft.

owner's answer, It is ACF50 corrosion prohibitor.

I told the owner thanks for thinking of me but I'd rather not being involved.

I know you mechanics have seen a lot of stuff like that.

Maybe he was worried about intergranular corrosion in the wood grains. :eek:

I discovered the world's shortest screwdriver jammed in the radio tray.

My best find after opening the nose baggage floor in a Baron was an almost new Makita cordless drill. There weren't even any greasy fingerprints. Owner said it wasn't his so it landed in my tool box.

I have a bunch of tools that were given to me by other mechanics. Some of them came from Cessna. I got a nice bucking bar from Cessna. They shipped it to me in the wing of a 206.

Found a missing cotter pin on one of the elevator control cables that connect to the elevator bellcrank.

I found a Fenix LD20 flashlight under a radio rack. It had obviously been there a long time and cleaned up well. About a $75 find. I have a collection of tool finds.

But those incidents pale in comparison to the things mechanics find.

Disagree. Owner/pilots and A&Ps are humans. Both equally susceptible to mistakes and cutting corners.

I’ve seen some real stoopid pilot/owner induced stuff come into the maintenance shop and I’ve seen some absolute negligence from both big name maintenance facilities and shady tree A&Ps. Every side has its bad apples.

Worst I ever saw personally was an engine shop that did a tear down inspection/cleaning on an engine for metal contamination that then slapped on the old (uncleaned/still contaminated) oil pump on it.

So far it’s been mostly tools that techs have left for me. 1 cleco and one nice T-handle Allen wrench. Leaving thermocouple wires disconnected doesn’t really count does it?
I've found a couple of screw drivers, safety wire pliers and a pair of vice grips. I always etch my name on all my tools, can't say I've ever left a tool in a plane. The navy beat it into my head to inventory the tool box after each job. Big sin in the Navy to leave a tool in a plane. We had planes return to base to look for tools, really pizzed off the CO and maintenance officer.

Last edited:
Someone donated a really nice shop lamp to my household. Only problem was the left the thing under the starboard side starboard rudder pedal. Found out about it when I couldn’t turn right to get on the runway. Glad I had to go right instead of left. Could have been quite entertaining.

I've found a couple of screw drivers, safety wire pliers and a pair of vice grips. I always etch my name in all my tools, can't say I've ever left a tool in a plane. The navy beat it into my head to inventory the tool box after each job. Big sin in the Navy to leave a tool in a plane. We had planes return to base to look for tools, really pizzed off the CO and maintenance officer.

It’s a good practice. I’ve always wondered what processes are used by NASA on space stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s a good practice. I’ve always wondered what processes are used by NASA on space stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We had a small log book you would sign after each job that the tools were accounted for.

We had a small log book you would sign after each job that the tools were accounted for.
This is a good idea, if the supervisor verified that the inventory was actually correct.
At the NAVY's repair station I last worked, we had three tool inventories each day. beginning of each shift, noon, and end of shift.

Blue shop rag in E225 (dry sump) oil tank (certainly there for years, caused no apparent harm).

Oil filter safety wire job; it was difficult to reach the terminus to properly tighten the wire so someone attached another wire about half-way along it pulling it way over to an engine mount member, thus tightening it adequately. Looked hilarious.

This is a good idea, if the supervisor verified that the inventory was actually correct
The supervisor did not verify, but if the inventory was not correct when the next crew come on there was and investigation. There were spot checks by work center supervisors and Quality Assurance Reprehensive (QAR)

Last edited:
On the electrical side, I find service loops that the installer interpreted to be “convenience” loops. I’ve rewired a couple of planes and removed pounds of unnecessary wire.

Also, plenty of automotive wire, floating grounds, floating hots , ground loops. And, unconventional wiring practices.

The old fart at Apex Airpark (RIP) I forget his name, left his frikken torque wrench on the top of a Cessna 180 engine. It finally worked its way out the front air intake, taking the oil cooler, prop, and windshield with it. This happened right directly over Hell's Canyon. The pilot was able to punch in nearest on his 430 and descended into LaGrande about 40 miles away.

I've found a couple of screw drivers, safety wire pliers and a pair of vice grips. I always etch my name on all my tools, can't say I've ever left a tool in a plane. The navy beat it into my head to inventory the tool box after each job. Big sin in the Navy to leave a tool in a plane. We had planes return to base to look for tools, really pizzed off the CO and maintenance officer.

Every maintenance form (MAF) had a sign off for Tools Accounted For.

Big sin in the Navy to leave a tool in a plane. We had planes return to base to look for tools, really pizzed off the CO and maintenance officer.
Some things don’t change. Tool inventories are still a big deal, and tools still get misplaced. I remember seeing jets not get to launch because of a missing tool.

Once, when a Tomcat was being launched off of Cat 4, a hammer went flying out from the left landing gear and bouncing down the flight deck. I’m not sure what kind of maintenance was being done with a hammer.

This is a good idea, if the supervisor verified that the inventory was actually correct.
At the NAVY's repair station I last worked, we had three tool inventories each day. beginning of each shift, noon, and end of shift.
Waste of time. All that is necessary is a thurough FOD check at the completion of a job.

Waste of time. All that is necessary is a thurough FOD check at the completion of a job.
How are you going to verify that a mechanic didn’t leave a tool inside an assembly? Disassemble everything at the completion of the job?

Maybe he was worried about intergranular corrosion in the wood grains. :eek:

I have a vague recollection that acf50 can be used to treat the inside of the tube frame of the ragwing airplanes? Perhaps the extra stuff
was squeezed out to the interior? Hard to judge base without seeing it

Some things don’t change. Tool inventories are still a big deal, and tools still get misplaced. I remember seeing jets not get to launch because of a missing tool.

Once, when a Tomcat was being launched off of Cat 4, a hammer went flying out from the left landing gear and bouncing down the flight deck. I’m not sure what kind of maintenance was being done with a hammer.
Percussive maintenance is performed with a hammer.

What?

7.3.1 Quality Assurance Representative (QAR)

QARs are permanently assigned to the Quality Assurance Division. QAR qualifications:

a. Paygrade E-6 or above.

b. (Navy) Fully qualified in the Qualified and Proficient Technician (QPT) syllabus in their technical field for the type/model/series (T/M/S) aircraft supported

hat?

Last edited:
Back