Cockpit Fire Extinguisher

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I have an H3R mounted on the back of the co pilot seat.

The biggest one you have room for. We have a 5 lb halon. Remember, it may not just be for cockpit use, but also for external fire extinguishing (i.e. carb/engine fire).

The biggest one you have room for. We have a 5 lb halon. Remember, it may not just be for cockpit use, but also for external fire extinguishing (i.e. carb/engine fire).

Outside the cockpit I'd want something bigger than anything I'd carry on board. This is why our airport and my hangar has bigger extinguishers spaced around. Inside the cockpit, I want two things: Halon and one easily handled. Trying to wield a 5 pounder around inside a four place airplane is going to be pretty difficult. Fire fighting in flight is going to be pretty limitted. If you can't get it out by dumping a one pounder, you better be looking for some place to put it down ASAP.

Model B385TSC - Chrome Halotron® 1 Fire Extinguisher
Typical use: Cockpit/Cabin

This is what I have. I had a scare recently. Pre heating the plane and the oil pan heater let all the smoke out. Plane still had all the covers on and no way to quickly get to the fire extinguisher. No fire just a lot of smoke. Now I carry an extinguisher in the truck.
h3r-av-b385tsc.jpg

I'd just go with a halon factory size and mounted as seen on the 185s, 3lb extinguisher mounted sideways on the front bracket of the copilot seat.

Also good to keep a larger extinguisher in the hangar.

On a related note, I'm renting light sports that usually do not have an extinguisher on board. The cockpit is obviously tiny, and weight is always a concern in an LSA. I've been considering picking up something like this and putting it in my flight bag whenever I'm renting a plane with no fire extinguisher. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fire-Go...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLOq4_eBq9kCFYxxAQodL-8O8w

Opinion?

2-1/2# Amerex Halotron mounted on the front of my pilot seat pedestal. It replaced a smaller H3R Halon unit that I used to put out an engine fire. The smaller unit wasn't big enough. The 2-1/2# is as big as will fit in easy reach, and it isn't any good outside of easy reach.

2-1/2# Amerex Halotron mounted on the front of my pilot seat pedestal. It replaced a smaller H3R Halon unit that I used to put out an engine fire. The smaller unit wasn't big enough. The 2-1/2# is as big as will fit in easy reach, and it isn't any good outside of easy reach.

For a inflight fire, wouldn't it be easer and safer to reach the over to the copilot side, vs head down forward towards the firewall grabbing between your legs for the extinguisher?

I don't have to move my head more than an inch to grab my extinguisher. The times I've needed an extinguisher (twice) was on the ground. The pilot door was unlatched both times. The other side was locked.

Back