Has any one installed a GDL-82 yet?

indeed. im interested in hearing how much labor it actually ended up taking, compared to a 335 transponder installation. 2018 and we re still at 4-5k installed on the most basic out-only solution. not impressed.

Exactly. The special pricing for the GTX 335 ends the end of March, when it goes back up to $3800. Do I want to buy the GTX 335 before the special pricing ends and put it on a shelf until I can afford the install? Or go the GDL 82 route? I recently installed a GTX 327 that I got on Ebay for $360, which in hindsight may have been a mistake. Maybe I should have bit the bullet and installed the -335. I read the install manual for the GDL-82 and it is not a simple as Garmin makes it out to be IMO. My avionics installer is actually quoting more hours to install the -82 than the -335. But that was a couple of months ago before the -82 were actually available, so he may have been hedging. I am going to talk with him this week. Maybe he has changed his time estimate.

Last edited:
Exactly. The special pricing for the GTX 335 ends the end of March, when it goes back up to $3800. Do I want to buy the GTX 335 before the special pricing ends and put it on a shelf until I can afford the install? Or go the GDL 82 route? I recently installed a GTX 327 that I got on Ebay for $360, which in hindsight may have been a mistake. Maybe I should have bit the bullet and installed the -335. I read the install manual for the GDL-82 and it is not a simple as Garmin makes it out to be IMO. My avionics installer is actually quoting more hours to install the -82 than the -335. But that was a couple of months ago before the -82 were actually available, so he may have been hedging. I am going to talk with him this week. Maybe he has changed his time estimate.
You and I are in the same predicament. I *thought* the -82 was the cheaper, easier route but the avionics shop I called hasn't installed one yet. The 335 seems simpler overall. Sarasota has a package deal with a used 327 and a -82. I was told to expect $4300 installed. That's approximately 905 gallons of 100LL, 130 hrs on the tach and 11,900 nautical miles of flying!

Wait, Special pricing? Oh healll naw. And here I thought they were playing ball LOL. At almost 4 amu just for the box, that puts it on an even different ball game altogether. The KT-74 is retailing for 2.5 amu plus a couple hundred for the peregrine air switch (for flight/ground determination) that the STC holder of the same name requires. Granted, if you don't have a qualifying WAAS source for the KT-74 already installed, this solution won't work for you because you'll have to incur the cost of installing a GPS box, and that's a non-starter. I just can't believe garmin wants 4k for an out-only box.

You know, another thing I may end up revisiting if Garmin doubles down on that BS pricing, is going back to the plan to install a used GTX330ES that people are gratuitously yanking from panels because "new potato". That thing should have been a slide-in replacement to the 327 in the first place, but you know garmin. At any rate, currently solid vendors are retailing that thing for 2.5amus. Hmm, decisions...

The GDL is a splice-job solution. Lots of things that 'may or may not' talk to each other as they should. Does not surprise me at all to hear the installation is more involved than advertised, though I am quite underwhelmed about the notion it may actually even exceed the labor costs of a transponder swap outright. That's straight up bait and switch, from the price point they were marketing that blind box in the first place.

I wouldn't buy the 335 just because of their pricing bluff. Life favors those who procrastinate. We still have some time to haggle. Your existing avionics will largely tell the tale of what avenue is most cost effective for you.

@ShawnM in Florida installed the GDL 82 in his SportCruiser and says it was a painless install. Here is his post on Sport Pilot Talk.

I was interested because I have essentially the same set-up (Aera 660, GDL 39R, and GTX 327) and plan to install the GDL 82.

Just got it back from the shop.
Cessna 182R with GTX327.
Added the GDL 82.
$2800 out the door.
Ready to fly past 2020.

@ShawnM in Florida installed the GDL 82 in his SportCruiser and says it was a painless install. Here is his post on Sport Pilot Talk.

I was interested because I have essentially the same set-up (Aera 660, GDL 39R, and GTX 327) and plan to install the GDL 82.

ShawnM makes it sound that it is possible for the DIYer, with my A&P. Thanks!

Just got it back from the shop.
Cessna 182R with GTX327.
Added the GDL 82.
$2800 out the door.
Ready to fly past 2020.

Do you recall how many hours of labor they took? Did you have a compatible WAAS source or does that figure include the installation of a stand-alone WAAS antenna to the GDL?

ShawnM makes it sound that it is possible for the DIYer, with my A&P. Thanks!
Looking through the GDL 82 installation manual, it doesn't seem to me to be too complicated. I've been a ham for 62 years and was an avionics tech in the Air Force, so YMMV.

I had the links to both the installation manual and the configuration software on the Garmin website, but the links are dead now.:( I downloaded both the manual as a pdf file and the software when the links were live.

EDIT - The installation manual is here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01810-00_04.pdf

Last edited:
Looking through the GDL 82 installation manual, it doesn't seem to me to be too complicated. I've been a ham for 62 years and was an avionics tech in the Air Force, so YMMV.

The GDL 82 Installation Manual is posted on the Garmin Website here:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01810-00_03.pdf

The GDL 82 configuration software for your laptop is here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=12839

Also, Garmin recently placed several installation videos on Youtube that are quite thorough. I thought that I would need special test equipment but apparently not except that they want you to have the output of the transponder checked. My -327 just passed an IFR check. This plus Aircraft spruce is selling a harness made for the unit gives me hope that I might just be able to do this myself, saving $1000+. I can do something with a $1000.

indeed. im interested in hearing how much labor it actually ended up taking, compared to a 335 transponder installation. 2018 and we re still at 4-5k installed on the most basic out-only solution. not impressed.
My plane has a GNS 530, with traffic alert but no WAAS. The transponder is a Mode S Garmin 330. Bids for either the Stratus or Garmin xpndr coming in the same range, 4-5000. Checked the GDL 82 installation, it's $1900 for the install. it is reported that it will not work with a Mode S transponder!

Thanks Morgan for posting the detailed information. My planes are already compliant, but I have developed a lot of interest in knowing about ADS-B. From the information you posted it appears that the GDL 82 is the most viable trail for economical compliance. Very informative.

My plane has a GNS 530, with traffic alert but no WAAS. The transponder is a Mode S Garmin 330. Bids for either the Stratus or Garmin xpndr coming in the same range, 4-5000. Checked the GDL 82 installation, it's $1900 for the install. it is reported that it will not work with a Mode S transponder!

Upgrade your 330 to the 330ES, and you're done. I think we had that done for something like $1400 sending it in to Garmin, and it was a reasonably quick turnaround. That was several years ago, though.

Upgrade your 330 to the 330ES, and you're done. I think we had that done for something like $1400 sending it in to Garmin, and it was a reasonably quick turnaround. That was several years ago, though.
Indeed, I would have done that in a new York minute if my plane had a 330 instead of the 327.

Back