High Altitude Endorsement

muddy00

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
muddy00
Anyone have a lead on someplace to get a high altitude endorsement around Florida, Alabama or near by?

I wasn't aware a high altitude endorsement was required. Were it so all the weed smokers in Colorado would be in violation of the FAR's. What is Colorado's high altitude requirement? Can they smoke in Denver but not at the highest point in RMNP? Seems to me those smokers would be very high at 12,000. Been up there, and although I smoke tabaccy I can't imagine what that elevation would be like after several tokes on a joint.

Elk? Hell no, they are Moose. Fool, look at the ears. They are big bears with antlers. But what are those critters with a shaggy coat in Summer and curled horns. Could they be 6PC's alter ego?

BS aside, RMNP was one of the best tours I have been on. We drove down to a lodge at the very south end of the park whose name escapes me at the moment then went back through the park. The wild life we saw on the trip was fascinating but the real treat was three Bighorn rams that were close enough I did not have to zoom in on them.

Only Nate and a friend who lives near Salida will appreciate my rant. RMNP and the drive there from Fort Collins is one of the neatest in the US.

I did mine as part of the overall checkout process of the aircraft that required it.

I did mine as part of the overall checkout process of the aircraft that required it.

I think that's the most common way to do it. It's not an endorsement I would specifically seek out unless I was flying a plane that needed it, and any plane that needs it likely requires some sort of formal training prior to operating it for the first time.

I wasn't aware a high altitude endorsement was required. Were it so all the weed smokers in Colorado would be in violation of the FAR's. What is Colorado's high altitude requirement? Can they smoke in Denver but not at the highest point in RMNP? Seems to me those smokers would be very high at 12,000. Been up there, and although I smoke tabaccy I can't imagine what that elevation would be like after several tokes on a joint.

Elk? Hell no, they are Moose. Fool, look at the ears. They are big bears with antlers. But what are those critters with a shaggy coat in Summer and curled horns. Could they be 6PC's alter ego?

BS aside, RMNP was one of the best tours I have been on. We drove down to a lodge at the very south end of the park whose name escapes me at the moment then went back through the park. The wild life we saw on the trip was fascinating but the real treat was three Bighorn rams that were close enough I did not have to zoom in on them.

Only Nate and a friend who lives near Salida will appreciate my rant. RMNP and the drive there from Fort Collins is one of the neatest in the US.
Just to satisfy your curiosity smoking weed in RMNP is not legal. Although legal by state law federal law prevails on all federally administered lands. So no smoking dope in national forests. Most ski resorts are on forest service administered land so burning a bowl on the ski lift is still illegal. Doubt that gets enforced any more than it used to be enforced.

Call around and find a DZ with a king air, probably could pay them to take you up with the last load of the day.

If you actually read what you linked, it specifically says that the training ‘does not yield a high altitude endorsement’

Like others have said, people who need a high altitude endorsement get it while training for the aircraft that requires the endorsement.

As I recall, outside of the ground part, you need to do the high dive, as well as hit FL250 in the plane.

Just need a plane like a king air and a CFI
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/page.cgi?g=North+America/United+States/Florida&Submit=+Go+

Or perhaps find a sim, not sure of a redbird would work or if a level D is needed.

"Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL), unless that person has received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor and obtained an endorsement in the person’s logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who certifies the person has satisfactorily accomplished the ground training. The ground training must include at least the following subjects:

(i) High-altitude aerodynamics and meteorology;

(ii) Respiration;

(iii) Effects, symptoms, and causes of hypoxia and any other high-altitude sickness;

(iv) Duration of consciousness without supplemental oxygen;

(v) Effects of prolonged usage of supplemental oxygen;

(vi) Causes and effects of gas expansion and gas bubble formation;

(vii) Preventive measures for eliminating gas expansion, gas bubble formation, and high-altitude sickness;

(viii) Physical phenomena and incidents of decompression; and

(ix) Any other physiological aspects of high-altitude flight.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft unless that person has received and logged training from an authorized instructor in a pressurized aircraft, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a pressurized aircraft, and obtained an endorsement in the person’s logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who found the person proficient in the operation of a pressurized aircraft. The flight training must include at least the following subjects:

(i) Normal cruise flight operations while operating above 25,000 feet MSL;

(ii) Proper emergency procedures for simulated rapid decompression without actually depressurizing the aircraft; and

(iii) Emergency descent procedures
."

Last edited:
Anyone have a lead on someplace to get a high altitude endorsement around Florida, Alabama or near by?

Check with military facilities in the area. I went through it twice, once at Whidbey Island NAS and once at Fairchild AFB. Set up by the 135 operators I was working for at the time. Well worth doing if you can find a facility.

Bob

Check with military facilities in the area. I went through it twice, once at Whidbey Island NAS and once at Fairchild AFB. Set up by the 135 operators I was working for at the time. Well worth doing if you can find a facility.

Bob
We don’t go the chamber like we used to. I guess they still have them for initial training, but now we do it on a flight sim with a mask on. They reduce the oxygen content with tanks mounted behind the seat, I think it’s much better training that way. I wonder if that would meet the requirements of a high alt. endorsement?

As I recall, outside of the ground part, you need to do the high dive, as well as hit FL250 in the plane.

Just need a plane like a king air and a CFI
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/page.cgi?g=North+America/United+States/Florida&Submit=+Go+

Or perhaps find a sim, not sure of a redbird would work or if a level D is needed.

"Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL), unless that person has received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor and obtained an endorsement in the person’s logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who certifies the person has satisfactorily accomplished the ground training. The ground training must include at least the following subjects:

(i) High-altitude aerodynamics and meteorology;

(ii) Respiration;

(iii) Effects, symptoms, and causes of hypoxia and any other high-altitude sickness;

(iv) Duration of consciousness without supplemental oxygen;

(v) Effects of prolonged usage of supplemental oxygen;

(vi) Causes and effects of gas expansion and gas bubble formation;

(vii) Preventive measures for eliminating gas expansion, gas bubble formation, and high-altitude sickness;

(viii) Physical phenomena and incidents of decompression; and

(ix) Any other physiological aspects of high-altitude flight.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft unless that person has received and logged training from an authorized instructor in a pressurized aircraft, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a pressurized aircraft, and obtained an endorsement in the person’s logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who found the person proficient in the operation of a pressurized aircraft. The flight training must include at least the following subjects:

(i) Normal cruise flight operations while operating above 25,000 feet MSL;

(ii) Proper emergency procedures for simulated rapid decompression without actually depressurizing the aircraft; and

(iii) Emergency descent procedures
."
Does redbird make a sim that replicates a pressurized airplane?

I did mine as part of ATOP in a 737 FTD in Dallas, but you can also do it in Orlando in an A320 FTD. It will cost an additional $125 to do it, but it's the cheapest way that I've found and it is loggable as a B737 or A320. http://www.b737.com/

Would a High Altitude endorsement be implied with a type rating for an aircraft certified for altitudes above 25,000 feet?

I got mine in a Cheyenne II at KHSV. They rent it(!) for $400/hr dry, so it ends up right around $700/hr wet.

Would a High Altitude endorsement be implied with a type rating for an aircraft certified for altitudes above 25,000 feet?
My understanding is no if you’ve never gotten it before. When I went through the Citation course, 2 of the 3 of us had never had the endorsement. One guy already had it, so we all got types, but the two of us had to separately do the high altitude training and emergency descent.

I did mine as part of ATOP in a 737 FTD in Dallas, but you can also do it in Orlando in an A320 FTD. It will cost an additional $125 to do it, but it's the cheapest way that I've found and it is loggable as a B737 or A320. http://www.b737.com/

Just over $600 and you get to play with a level D airliner sim, doesn't seem too bad.

Just over $600 and you get to play with a level D airliner sim, doesn't seem too bad.
Not at all and it's a lot of fun. I've done both the B737 in Dallas with American and the A320 in Orlando with JetBlue. Wayne also does an advanced ATOP where you learn more advanced info and features and you do a domestic route flight cross country. I'm planning on doing it in the 737 this year.

If you're getting the type rating under a Part 121, 125, or 135 training program, the endorsement is not required. If you're getting the type rating under a Part 91 or 142 training program, you still need to get the endorsement or equivalent.

The exception paragraph for the high altitude endorsement reg:
(3) The training and endorsement required by paragraphs (g)(1) and (g)(2) of this section are not required if that person can document satisfactory accomplishment of any of the following in a pressurized aircraft, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a pressurized aircraft:

(i) Serving as pilot in command before April 15, 1991;

(ii) Completing a pilot proficiency check for a pilot certificate or rating before April 15, 1991;

(iii) Completing an official pilot-in-command check conducted by the military services of the United States; or

(iv) Completing a pilot-in-command proficiency check under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter conducted by the Administrator or by an approved pilot check airman.

If you're getting the type rating under a Part 121, 125, or 135 training program, the endorsement is not required. If you're getting the type rating under a Part 91 or 142 training program, you still need to get the endorsement or equivalent.

The exception paragraph for the high altitude endorsement reg:
Kinda what I thought. Thanks. Guess I could have looked that up myself.

Back