Skyrunner Crash

That had to have hurt. Looks like they flew straight to the tallest part of the building.

Sure looked like a hold my beer moment....

Was that real flying machine or a redneck flying 4 wheeler..???

I guess George of the Jungle is flying powered parachutes these days.

Is it SOP to delay start of the prop drive as demonstrated? Seems to me you'd want the fan turning before starting the ground roll.

How could the one observer turn away as they were off? Can you still use the wheels to steer once in the air?

It reminds me of those early aviators experimenting with balloons in France back in the 1800’s.

Is it SOP to delay start of the prop drive as demonstrated? Seems to me you'd want the fan turning before starting the ground roll.
Prolly want the shrouds up before starting the prop since the prop appears to be un-guarded.

Can you still use the wheels to steer once in the air?

On paragliders you have handles on each side to pull down to steer the wing. I have no idea if this is somehow connected to the steering wheel of this thing or if they are separate controls.

Hey @OkieFlyer, if you're really fixin' to do redneck videos you done need to buy one of these!

Even with their LSA weight exemption it looks pretty likely that it's going to be overgrossed.

Not much of an angle of climb there.

The way you steer a parachute is to pull one of the toggles, which is essentially a brake. It's sort of like Ted's MU-2, only with a whole lot less thrust. It almost looked like it descended a little bit towards the end of the run. He looked like he didn't have enough excess power to pull off a climb, and steering with a toggle was only going to make things worse.

That thing looks like it needs more like 180 hp to drag that ATV through the sky.

Does that thing actually have 2 engines?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think this thing falls into the same category as the Icon A5. A neat machine with a deadly appeal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes, one engine drives the wheels and another engine drives the prop.

I really don’t get why it has two engines rather than a single engine with a CVT for the wheels and a power takeoff for the prop (and two clutches)

Still can’t believe,they survived the crash. Hoping they have a full recovery.

Thing is actually pretty cool, but WOW the price is insane.

The thing does have a decent looking roll cage.

My first guess is the injuries included injuries to the arms due to no arm restraints to keep their arm inside the protected area...and possibly hands due to grabbing on to the cage during the crash sequence.

My first guess is the injuries included injuries to the arms due to no arm restraints to keep their arm inside the protected area...and possibly hands due to grabbing on to the cage during the crash sequence.

It's interesting you would post a video of the Petty crash. I was a 14 year old in the grandstands when the wreck occurred right in front of us. The spring race was known as the Rebel 400 and was run on a Saturday usually in April and the Southern 500 was run on Labor Day. At that time a county ordinance prohibited racing on Sunday. At the conclusion of the race, fans were allowed into the pits to look at the cars and get autographs. Petty's car was in pieces and we were given a few parts of sheet metal as a souvenir by a crew member. I grew up and still live in an adjacent county [about a 25 minute drive to the racetrack] but don't attend or follow NASCAR anymore. The Darlington County airport is an old military airport converted to general aviation located in a rural area and about 15 minutes from the track. Only one of the three original runways is maintained and I occasionally fly over and do a touch and go. There are numerous cotton fields around the airport and on my last visit there were modules of picked cotton lined up on the abandoned runways. When NASCAR does come in for a race that usually fly into Florence. Probably useless information but it did jog my memory.

So....

when one of those darn powered parachutes runs into trouble, do they pull the red handle and...

out pops the wings?

I know you intended this as a joke, but almost all paraglider pilots and some paramotor pilots do carry a reserve parachute, as do almost all hang glider pilots. I don't know if powered parachutes (the Skyrunner would qualify as a powered parachute) carry a BRS or not. If I flew one I would want BRS, assuming I flew it high enough for a successful deployment.

Back