800 wx Brief Too Conservative to be Useful?

I call the briefer for one reason only. To get my N# on record that I received briefing on TFRs and NOTAMs. Other than that, I can get it all online. No, I don't do DUATS, I tried it once, and it was such a PITA to get on, I never went back.

I have never called them. My instructor never suggested it but had me get registered for DUATS instead. Same info and still recorded. for those looking for some more detail/explanation of what is going on and forecast to happen I HIGHLY suggest reading the local NWS forecast discussion. It is updated at least every six hours I believe if not sooner as needed. Not sure on other apps but at least Aerovie includes this in their weather section.

There is one fact about structural ice that you can hang your hat on: Conditions that result in no ice on one day can bring you down on another day. Icing conditions are not repeatable. If ice was predicted and you didn't gt any, good for you....but don't be surprised to get some ice when none was predicted. Have an icing escape route in your head for every flight in the clouds.

Bob Gardner

I call the briefer for one reason only. To get my N# on record that I received briefing on TFRs and NOTAMs. Other than that, I can get it all online. No, I don't do DUATS, I tried it once, and it was such a PITA to get on, I never went back.
blink, blink

yup, registering and logging on are very challenging

Does any know what kind or training FSS Briefers get? And/or the educational or experience requirements for the job?

Just wondering if they actually are required to know anything other than to read what is on a computer screen.

Was he refusing to give you a briefing or file your flight plan?
I've been refused a briefing a couple of times. Since I don't file VFR flight plans, I've never experienced problems there, and I've never been refused a SVFR.

Was he refusing to give you a briefing or file your flight plan?

He was losing his mind - he was livid - because he "knew" it was absolutely impossible for me to land there. I don't know that refusing to file the flight plan (if I was using one) was an option or not. Didn't matter - we went and landed as planned. I just thought it was way out of line that he was so over the top that there was no way I had better information than was in his system.

There is one fact about structural ice that you can hang your hat on: Conditions that result in no ice on one day can bring you down on another day. Icing conditions are not repeatable. If ice was predicted and you didn't gt any, good for you....but don't be surprised to get some ice when none was predicted. Have an icing escape route in your head for every flight in the clouds.

Bob Gardner

And living and flying in the ice machine known as the PNW will sure drive this home.

I remember getting the briefing face to face from Dusty at the FSS at Martinsburg. But haven't used the phone for years except for TFRs and NOTAMs. The info online is much better because it is visual. Used to get caught out now and again but since I went online that never happens.

Back