What Upgrades for 2018

What upgrades are on your agenda for 2018 (mult choices allowed)

• Engine Overhaul

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Paint Job

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Interior

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Avionics (GPS, ADS-B, Audio Panel, etc)

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Glass Panel (Full or Partial)

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Autopilot

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Engine Monitor

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Mechanical or Maintenance

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Speed Mods

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
I know everyone has their wish list for airplane upgrades. What's on your radar for this year?

I would love to get the new Garmin 500 autopilot with G5 but I'm at the mercy of waiting on an STC.

I'm toying with just upgrading the entire plane instead of parts of it, but we shall see.

Garmin G5 AI...that’s really pretty much it...start looking at ADSB solutions. Maybe a new electric turn coordinator

DA20-C1 1999.

New cruise MT propeller to go faster with the same fuel consumption

1000 hours inspection (disassemble the elevator, wings, ailerons, flaps and replace bushings, bolts, nuts etc)

Install LED landing and taxi lights and replace the lens (led light cover),
Install usb ports on the panel
Install dimmable red lights under glare shield so I can better see the instruments at night

Repair antenna grounding, replace rudder cables, replace nose rubber pucks, bearings, bushings, replace brake pads, replace battery. Possibly replace the bubble canopy if we can find a used one for a reasonable price.

Next year it will be dual G5s, GTN650, GTX327 and GDL82.

Last edited:
BAS Safety Harnesses, maybe Sportsman STOL. Not sure if it's an upgrade, but maybe a prop re-pitch...

I kept my votes to three things. I mean, after all.. who wouldn’t want to do them all? I’m assuming you can’t so I kept it to three.

1) engine overhaul is not glamorous, but I’m assuming that’s a must, not a want.
2) autopilot. A HUGE want.
3) glass panel. I feel that goes along with autopilot/avionics upgradedes.

IMO, the cosmetic stuff is great, but it can wait a bit if you can’t afford everything in one swoop.

I have ordered an iStart fuel delivery system to make it easier for Leslie to start the plane, especially when it is hot.

I'm also thinking about tip tanks. Primarily for the gross weight increase, but also we plan to fly to Alaska this summer, and even though I am told there is plenty of fuel, I don't know for a fact it will always be right were we need it most.

I'm also thinking about tip tanks. Primarily for the gross weight increase, but also we plan to fly to Alaska this summer, and even though I am told there is plenty of fuel, I don't know for a fact it will always be right were we need it most.
Quite a trip... I’m envious! How many stops along the way? As you are well aware, you can have tanks the size of Dolly’s.... but if your wife has to #1 every 30 minutes....

Sorry.. didn’t mean to hyhak the thread.

I'm thinking about a brain transplant for the pilot.

For Dad:Cygnet yokes, dual G5s, GAD29 adapter to existing GTN, update all the softwares in GTN, GDL88 etc, new comm antennas, new coax cables, new LED beacon, all new klixon breakers on the avionics bus, maybe send out the airspeed, vertical speed and altimeter for overhaul.

Maybe a GFC-500 this year too.

For me: maybe a G5 HSI interfaced to existing GTN, sell my GI106A. Might just work on the engine instead

For a friend: maybe a GNC255 & GI106 or a G5 HSI. He is already scheduled for a TruTrak in March. I'm eager to try it out.

I dropped a lot of money last year on upgrades. Hoping this year I can spend a lot more on 100LL and maybe a new autopilot.

More flying ,not much I could do to the airplane. Keep burning that 100 ll

I’ve got a big 1000-hr AD and expecting a high-cost annual. Think I’ve got a leaky fuel bladder too. Depending on how those go, I’d like to make the ADSB jump....but may be waiting for next year.

How many stops along the way? As you are well aware, you can have tanks the size of Dolly’s.... but if your wife has to #1 every 30 minutes....
If all goes as planned, we will make 8 or 9 total stops from Central Florida, 3 of which will be overnight stops before Anchorage.

My wife doesn't need as many relief breaks as I do. An on-board bathroom would extend my range significantly.

What, no choice for AOA? :)

An airplane. We're moving to an airpark in Florida and we'll finally have the finances for sole onwership. I'm starting to look in earnest for an RV-8, but if the price, equipment and paint is right, then an -8A or -7/7A will be fine.

And don't tell Mrs. Ateamer, but I also would like to find an Experimental in need of restoration, or maybe just completion - one or two seats, open cockpit or removable doors. Restoring something like a Fly Baby, or one of the homebuilt biplanes out there would be a fun spare-time project.

Dual G5 with GAD 29B going in now. The only thing am gonna do test of the year is buy avgas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406 ELT and a heated pito for me

Last edited:
Knee replacement.
Cataract surgery.

Oh, you meant for the airplane?

An airplane. We're moving to an airpark in Florida and we'll finally have the finances for sole onwership. I'm starting to look in earnest for an RV-8, but if the price, equipment and paint is right, then an -8A or -7/7A will be fine.
Slight thread shift:
Which airpark? Did you look exclusively at airparks? Any websites you recommend to research what’s available?
TIA

Slight thread shift:
Which airpark? Did you look exclusively at airparks? Any websites you recommend to research what’s available?
TIA

Why not just get some property with enough land to land on, does FL have some draconian laws about backcountry flying?

don't need no stinkin' air parks ;)

Why not just get some property with enough land to land on, does FL have some draconian laws about backcountry flying?

don't need no stinkin' air parks ;)

You do if you want a paved runway or at least one that’s well manicured. My Mooney doesn’t do backcountry.

No upgrades planned for the plane, just an upgrade for me: hopefully IR.

If anyone is looking for a good upgrade, make you a safer pilot and also open up a whole new world, take some off airports classes, this guy has one and is also one heck of a character.

http://www.bush-air.com/school.htm

My next will be Dual G5's to remove the vacuum system!

My next will be Dual G5's to remove the vacuum system!
I am considering the same thing. But after the past few weeks, I am waiting to see what the stock market, and my portfolio does, before any more "frivolous" spending. But I don't consider tip tanks, before my Alaska trip, as frivolous. But I am still debating that with myself.

Just got a JPI 830 awaiting install. Lightweight starter. Maybe ADS-B later in the year.
I have been ingnoring the sailboat so I need to throw some resources at it. The wife wants to go sailing as we did next to none last year.

I want to change out my JPI 760 engine monitor for a 790. I’ll be looking for a deal from them at Sun ‘n Fun.

I know everyone has their wish list for airplane upgrades. What's on your radar for this year?

I would love to get the new Garmin 500 autopilot with G5 but I'm at the mercy of waiting on an STC.

The G5 is great. I have the G5 PFD in my Warrior, and plan to add the G5-HSI this year with the autopilot adapter (interfaces with my Century II AP). This actually gives the Century II GPS roll-steering from the GNS-430W. I still won't have altitude hold, but that's OK. I can maintain altitude quite fine with the bug on my G5 PFD and the altitude alert from my KT-74 Transponder if I happen to get slack.

Back