New Pilatus PC-24

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Happened to be at the airport today when Pilatus was finishing delivering their first customer PC-24. (It went to Plane Sense.)

From previous encounters, I know it's a fine-looking airplane. Now, I know it seems to fly well when looking at it from the outside and far away. Way far away - can you even see the airplane in this photo?

IMG_1592-2.jpg

We are flying up to NH tomorrow to attend PlaneSense's reception party. I'm looking forward to finally getting to see it.

No doubtfully it'll be a awesome plane, pilatus doesn't really to anything other than great aircraft.

I'd take one of their two-seat military trainers. :)

Occasionally some of those come on the market. Saw one at OSH, originally delivered to some military in southern africa.

I'd take one of their two-seat military trainers. :)

Meh

3450.jpg

If you're going to pilatus, pilatus

That's my dream plane. Biggest single-pilot jet around. Can operate out of a 2800 foot strip.

I always thought the Porter was the ugly baby that grew up to be a beautiful DHC-2 Turbo Beaver. You can see it in that big, long nose and the front doors... that STOL pedigree, and the rugged utility. Makes my blood flow. I need a beer.

Meh. No cup holders...

This plane does have some amazing technology. The right engine has a mode that can be used on the ground where valves between the turbine stages open so the N1 turbine stage is bypassed and the N2 fan can be spun at a much lower RPM than normal ground idle. This gives plenty of electrical power and bleed air to run the heater or AC as well as all the avionics and cabin electronics and only burns about 100 lbs/hr without counting towards engine time or cycles. It takes the place of an APU or GPU.

It's the only plane in it's class to have an Inertial Navigation System to back up the GPS and one of only a couple single-pilot airplanes to have an autothrottle.

Yes there are. Two for each seat by the arm rests.

Doesn't look like a cup fits in there given the trim piece overhanging above it?

That thing ain’t very quiet, is it? That surprised me watching the video, considering the general trend toward quieter jets.

This plane does have some amazing technology. The right engine has a mode that can be used on the ground where valves between the turbine stages open so the N1 turbine stage is bypassed and the N2 fan can be spun at a much lower RPM than normal ground idle. This gives plenty of electrical power and bleed air to run the heater or AC as well as all the avionics and cabin electronics and only burns about 100 lbs/hr without counting towards engine time or cycles. It takes the place of an APU or GPU.

It's the only plane in it's class to have an Inertial Navigation System to back up the GPS and one of only a couple single-pilot airplanes to have an autothrottle.

Eh, we had that on the ATR-72, "Hotel mode" it was called. Had a brake that clamped down on the shaft to prevent (most of the time) the prop from spinning.

Eh, we had that on the ATR-72, "Hotel mode" it was called. Had a brake that clamped down on the shaft to prevent (most of the time) the prop from spinning.

Yea but I don't think it's been done on a jet before.

Too bad they kept with putting switches on the ceiling vs the panel, going from a series 9 PC-12 with rocker switches for the lights and heats and whatnot on the lower dash, to at 10 with all that stuff on the ceiling where you have to look up to see it, always thought that was the one area the older planes were a little better.

Still, I wouldn't exactly kick a PC24 out of my hangar ;)

Great Pic, Dave Theisen! Yeah, that's what it looked like.
Denver Pilot, it was quite quiet climbing out of KBJC yesterday. Quieter than other similar size, older jets.

That was the biggest waste of 10 minutes ever. I thought it was going to be the legs bringing the airplane to Portsmouth. About 1/2 way through it dawned on me it’s the same damn airport.

Back