DC-9 Data Plates

The reference for the Midwest Express data plates? Me. I was there, flew DC9-10, serial number 2, biggest POS I’ve ever been in.
Dave

The first -10 went to Delta. The first -30 to the old Eastern Airlines.

Nope

Muse Air which became Transtar after the buyout by Southwest but Wikipedia lists Republic as the first??????

AA came and rode our jump seats to see how they like them...I guess they did.

Swiss Air was the first international carrier

Also, look at any pilot that has a type in the MD80 series and it says DC-9. Same TC just different variations.

Last edited:
And yet the modern day B717 still has the DC9 type rating...

I worked at Muse Air and we were told we were the launch customer but Wikipedia says it was Republic and Muse Air which became Transtar was not even listed. I guess my type rating and 4000 hours were in a non existent plane. One of our DC- 9 - 51’s is the display aircraft in the Delta Museum. N655MC

Neither. Textron Aviation I believe.

Textron, which is a massive holding company which includes things like: Cessna, Bell Helicopter, Macaulay (actually just a division of Cessna), Lycoming, EZGO, Greenleaf, etc... careens back and forth as to whether they want everything to look like Textron Mega Corp keep the "goodwill" engendered by the old brands. I was never overly fond of the name of the company we had before (from a previous pre-Textron name change) but Textron insisted we couldn't change it because of the goodwill. I pointed out nobody knew the company name just the product name. I can't tell you how many times I'd been introduced as the Vice President of RemoteView.

Several years later they decided to change it to Textron Geospatial.

Textron itself is an odd name. The modern Textron is actually the outgrowth of Avco (you may remember Avco-Lycoming as a brand). They acquired a company that had started out in life as "Special Yarns Corporation" and indeed was a Textile company, but someone decided that Textron sounded pretty cooly modern and took that name for the merged company.

That’s great, Ron! Thanks for sharing. Makes sense now that it’s Textron Lycoming, since Lycoming’s first product was a sewing machine... and they were a woman owned business to boot, very rare in the 1800s.

Paul

Neither. Textron Aviation I believe.

Textron, which is a massive holding company which includes things like: Cessna, Bell Helicopter, Macaulay (actually just a division of Cessna), Lycoming, EZGO, Greenleaf, etc... careens back and forth as to whether they want everything to look like Textron Mega Corp keep the "goodwill" engendered by the old brands. I was never overly fond of the name of the company we had before (from a previous pre-Textron name change) but Textron insisted we couldn't change it because of the goodwill. I pointed out nobody knew the company name just the product name. I can't tell you how many times I'd been introduced as the Vice President of RemoteView.

Several years later they decided to change it to Textron Geospatial.

Textron itself is an odd name. The modern Textron is actually the outgrowth of Avco (you may remember Avco-Lycoming as a brand). They acquired a company that had started out in life as "Special Yarns Corporation" and indeed was a Textile company, but someone decided that Textron sounded pretty cooly modern and took that name for the merged company.
AVCO, which stood for Aviation Company.

They started off in the airplane, airline & operator business and later became a conglomerate with holdings in financial services, farm equipment, manufacturing, broadcasting (WWDC in Washington was once an AVCO property), movies, Convair aircraft, real estate, and other stuff including defense. As I recall, they also were envolved with Embry-Riddle in the early days.

Classic American conglomerate, right up there with ITT (which owned the telephone stuff and a lot of other things including Sheraton hotels).

Back