New To Flight Following - Questions?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
So I have never used flight following and want to start. I know who to call and I understand I may or may not get help. But I do have a few questions.

I will be requesting in the air after leaving a our uncontrolled airport. I plan on keep the initial call short like: "Them Skylane FullTailNumber VFR Request". When they say go ahead I plan to respond with: "Skylane FullTailNumber Position Request Flight Following To Destination"

Position: Do I give a reference to a nearest airport 'X' like: Five Southwest 'X' 4500"? Or do I need to give a reference to where I think the ATC is at like "40 West MSP 4500"?

Destination: For my destination I know I include the where ('W') but do I also specify the cruise altitude?

FlightAware: When receiving radar services will the flight track appear on FlightAware?

Arrival: If arriving at a towered field will they handoff to them so I don't have to make the normal initial contact? If flying to another uncontrolled field do I need to end it? Do they see it and end it? What if I am supposed to end it and forget?

I want to start using radar services. I'm very comfortable on the radio with most training at a often busy Delta. Just want to try and get this right, keep it concise....you know...not sound like a dork :)

My experience (which is somewhat limited) is
Position: Near the field, not relative to ATC. (Five Southwest of X) and current altitude.
Destination: Where
FlightAware: It depends. And I'm not sure what it depends on. Sometimes mine show up, sometimes not.
Arrival: No. You'll request the frequency change.

So I have never used flight following and want to start. I know who to call and I understand I may or may not get help. But I do have a few questions.

I will be requesting in the air after leaving a our uncontrolled airport. I plan on keep the initial call short like: "Them Skylane FullTailNumber VFR Request". When they say go ahead I plan to respond with: "Skylane FullTailNumber Position Request Flight Following To Destination"

Position: Do I give a reference to a nearest airport 'X' like: Five Southwest 'X' 4500"? Or do I need to give a reference to where I think the ATC is at like "40 West MSP 4500"?

Destination: For my destination I know I include the where ('W') but do I also specify the cruise altitude?

FlightAware: When receiving radar services will the flight track appear on FlightAware?

Arrival: If arriving at a towered field will they handoff to them so I don't have to make the normal initial contact? If flying to another uncontrolled field do I need to end it? Do they see it and end it? What if I am supposed to end it and forget?

I want to start using radar services. I'm very comfortable on the radio with most training at a often busy Delta. Just want to try and get this right, keep it concise....you know...not sound like a dork :)

Position to the closest airport, Navaid, or reporting point is fine.

Sometimes the controller does not care about the altitude, but probably better to include it than not include it.

The controller will normally hand you off to the tower. If landing at an uncontrolled they usually will tell you to report it in sight and then terminate radar service, approve frequency change. If they don't, tell them the airport is in sight to cue them or just say "request frequency change".

You can give your position but ATC will likely assign you a squawk to identify you. Yes destination and altitude are items ATC will want to know. Don't know about FlightAware. On arrival most likely it will be a handoff, but also may be you contacting the tower if approach terminated radar service. Uncontrolled they'll terminate you and then you do your thing.

Position: Do I give a reference to a nearest airport 'X' like: Five Southwest 'X' 4500"?

This works just fine. They know where these places are. And they will have positive i.d. on you when the give you a code.

. Yes. You aren’t tied to that altitude but you should tell them if you change altitudes.

This I do not know.

More often than not, they will terminate flight following before you enter the Class D. But if they don’t, just treat it like any other arrival to a Class D.

I cannot say for certain but at an uncontrolled field, the controllers SHOULD initiate termination of flight following. If they don’t, I would think you would be reminded to do so when you change frequencies on your radio. I am not sure if they will initiate a search if they don’t initiate termination and you forget.

Usually am not asked for equipment code and I had gotten slack about including it with aircraft type. Sure enough some center controller wanted equipment code on last flight.

They’ll usually check current altitude when they verify position. If I’m changing altitude I’ll let’m know when confirming altitude.

Tower hand-offs have been fairly rare going to Deltas. I just do a normal check-in to avoid problems.

I cannot say for certain but at an uncontrolled field, the controllers SHOULD initiate termination of flight following. If they don’t, I would think you would be reminded to do so when you change frequencies on your radio. I am not sure if they will initiate a search if they don’t initiate termination and you forget.

I have lost coms with center while in the mountains. I was on the phone to flight service when the airport manager showed up saying that center had just called and asked him to look for me. If you don’t terminate radar services before landing, call flight service and ask to talk to flight data folks - tell’em who (n number) you are and that you are safe on the ground.

You'll most always get flight following.

Me "Approach, Cessna123 3mi NE of XYZ 2,500"

ATC "Cessna123, squawk 5342" or "cessna123 go ahead with request"

Me "Cessna123 requesting flight following present position [destination] direct [or whatever routing you want], 5,500"

Start with a more gentle ATC, as location allows. No sense getting a cold reception from a busy Class B controller.

Also when you have the field insight or don't really need their services anymore don't forget

Me "Cessna 123, terminating flight following"

ATC "Cessna 123 squawk VFR/1200 freq change approved"

Me" [dials up 1200] thanks for the help, g'day"

I usually say that I have the destination in sight which almost always results in

"No traffic observed between you and the airport, radar services terminated, have a nice day."

Yes, if you just disappear from the frequency they may fear you crashed. I realized one time over on the eastern shore of MD I couldn't reach PXT anymore. I called a cancellation in the blind and squawked 1200. By the time I got to Ocean City and showed up on CTAF there were people attempting to relay a message from PXT. Similarly, I've been asked by ZTL to give a call on the CTAF at places to see if the plane they had been working had landed.

Sounds like you’re going to get a bunch of slight variations, so here’s mine:

1) I personally can’t stand ‘vfr request’. Just “so and so center, low wing 123BJ” then just wait.
2) when they respond, “ 3BJ is x miles from y, level 3000 request FF to ABC at 5,500”. If you dont give them the info and they have to ask for it, you’re wasting airtime.
3) as for “3 miles from x”, I’ll try to find a known waypoint (has a little flag on the sectional), if not, x miles from a nearby airport.
4) as for ending up at a towered field I’ve had several different things happen:
-3BJ radar svcs terminated see u later

-3BJ radar svcs terminated, keep squawk code, contact tower on 123.45
-3BJ contact tower on 123.45

One other thing I do is listen to the automated weather so I can tell them which version of the weather I have on initial call. That way they know I have the correct altimeter setting.

[desired airport] Approach, this is Bug Smasher N1234W with information Charlie (or whatever the current weather is)

Approach usually responds back with "Bug Smasher N1234W say request."

Remember it’s the same as your normal radio calls:

The Who you want and Who you are you have down pat.

The Where you are, just include your current altitude when you give your position (plus your eventual altitude if you’re climbing).

The What you want (intentions), simply where you are heading.

I always use flight following on anything out of home pattern. Pretty much as above but for initial position I've just gotten to "just out of K___\ at x-hundred feet" and they've located me on squawk code.
I've been on FlightAware uniformly while on flight following of late...seems to have gotten uniform in last year or so.

One other thing I do is listen to the automated weather so I can tell them which version of the weather I have on initial call. That way they know I have the correct altimeter setting."
Only useful if you're coming into a terminal area.

It's easy, just request it before leaving your towered field. Otherwise, I'll call "XXX, Mooney <full call sign>" and wajt for them to recognjze me. Then it's " Mooney <same sign>, just off YYY, climbing X for Y, flight following to ZZZ please." There will be some back-and-forth for transponder code, altimeter setting, altitude confirmation, etc.

They will hand you off to Center, various Approaches / Towers and your destination as required. There is no handoff for uncontrolled fields.

Always let them know when you change altitude, up or down; don't ask permission unless you have been given a restriction.

When my uncontrolled destination is getting close, I'll set 500 fpm descent and advise "Mooney XXX beginning VFR descent for ZZZ." When I'm ready to call ZZZ Unicom / CTAF, I'll tell ATC "Mooney XXX has ZZZ in sight" and they usually respond "roger, squawk VFR, frequency change approved."

Easy, quick, simple. You'll like it.

For destination, is it name or code and if code spelled phonetically?

If it's local and well known to ATC, you can often get away with the name. But it's better to say "Papa Mike Hotel" rather than "Portsmouth."

code, phonetic, so there's no confusion. if you're going to a destination within their airspace, or a common destination, they'll most likely know the code, but why not just give them the code so there will be no question about it?

Depends. If you’re just going somewhere “localish” the controller knows it by either one because they have mandatory memory items for the local airspace.

If they need the identifier they’ll ask, but if it’s anywhere a long ways away, and not some major airport, they’re going to ask, so just offer it up.

When I do that I usually give the name of the airport followed by “identifier is ...”, which seems to work out well.

When I depart from an uncontrolled field and plan on getting FF, I make my last call on CTAF, note my distance and direction from the airport, and call ATC with "THEM Archer 12345, request." When they reply, I tell them "Archer 12345, N miles (direction) of (name of airport) at (altitude) climbing to (cruise altitude) heading 123 requesting VFR flight following for a PA28-181 slant Gulf to (destination). Yeah, I know it's a mouthful, and some controllers may not want all of it. If the frequency is really busy, I'll often just abbreviate it to current position and altitude, FF to destination, and wait for them to ask me anything else they want. (If they're busy, they usually don't.) Most times, even if busy, they'll ask what altitude I want to cruise at.

The one thing that bugged me (in CA at least) was that sometimes the controllers would get ****y if you didn't hail them first and wait for a response before making your request, and others would get ****y if you didn't just make your request part of the hail.

Just jumpin right in here without readin the thread so far.

Position: Anything that takes the controllers eyes to a spot on the scope to get an idea where you are. "Anything' should be things that are on Charts. VP[AAA] fixes, VOR's, Airports, Airway and Approach fixes if you know them, well known landmarks that everyone knows. Don't stress out over at what exactly what point on the Compass North becomes Northeast or precisely how many miles you are from the them. If you recognize the controller and know where he lives, over your house will do (ya probably shouldn't actually do this.)

Destination: This is a good time to throw in your intended cruising altitude.

FlightAware: I dunno. I think if you're going far enough that the 'system' will process you so as to facilitate automated handoffs to other ATC facilities then even VFR's might show up on FlightAware.

Arrival: Ain't no 'pat answer' to this.

If you're in busy airspace, altitude will be important - consistency and informing ATC of any planned changes. The primary reason for FF is safety. Altitude discipline and communication increases safety when using FF. Taking altitude recommendations from ATC is also good practice when radar coverage might be impacted or if ATC has preferred altitudes for FF traffic.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I don't have much to add about the procedures that hasn't been said above. There are differences from region to region on what the controllers are and aren't looking for.

As far as Flightaware goes, if they have given you a squawk then you are going to show up on it in my experience. If you just type the tail number into the search it may or may not show up. However, click on the "Join Flightaware" and create a login. After you log in then click on the "My Flightaware," click on "Manage," and then add the tail number of the plane you want to keep track of. I think you can have up to 5 planes in your log, and you can delete and add others any time you want. Once it is listed there you can click on "My Flightaware" and then "View" when you log in. All of your VFR flights that you were given a squawk for will show up.

Even short flights will show up. When I was doing my PPL there were flights just in the local area where a squawk was given for just doing approaches or staying in the local area and those showed up on Flightaware also.

Oh, one more thing to add. After you are logged into Flightaware, click on your name in the upper left corner and select "Account." Scroll down to option #6 "Position Only Flights" and select the option to "Show Position Only Flights." Without that they won't show up if there is not a filed filed flight plan, with that option selected you will be able to see all the flights.

Thanks everyone!!! Seems pretty straightforward...with a couple of minor variants here and there.

Sounds like I should always be prepared to request terminating radar services myself in case they miss it or are cutting it too close for my liking near the destination. Plus I didn't know he various ways I can end it. And I now have a better feeling as to how they would respond to me just landing without ending...they will play it safe, get worried and search - so don't put them in that situation. I'm going to use it on the next flight!

I'm sure all the previous posts have already answered it, but here is my procedure. If freq is full of chatter, I will open up and just say Atlanta Center, N65407. If there is not much talk I will go ahead and be straight to the point.

"Atlanta Center, N65407, Cessna 152, four thousand five hundred, 5 miles south of XXXX (XXXX being any airport or VFR reference, the little flags from your sectional) requesting flight following to Lima Zulu Uniform."

@Skates97 - awesome!!!! I had no clue about the Flightaware account and settings that might make this more useful.

Twice during training my CFI tried to get us through the Bravo. On each occasion we were given the xpdr code by ground and handed off to approach after takeoff. Both times we were denied. But they left us with them even as we flew around it - so probably ended up being flight following. Anyway, the other day when I looked into FlightAware I noticed us on one of the flights. But I did not create an account or anything so maybe it was just the latest of those two.

I know I can't always rely on getting FF/advisories but it seems like the right thing to do, especially with a known listener always available during an emergency. And a perk would be if we show up on Flightaware on trips to Grandpa and Grandma's so they know when.

Or just get a instrument rating and file :)

It's been a while since I did VFR flight following, but mine rarely showed up on flightaware. My IFR flights always show, and now I get notifications when I fly and don't file; it's linked to my ADSB. They actually can track my plane without filing a flight plan of any sort.

Wow, I feel like I should ask @Ted DuPuis lock this thread now. A flight following thread with excellent information and hasn't went off the rails yet...a PoA miracle :)

Reactions: Ted
Oh, one more thing to add. After you are logged into Flightaware, click on your name in the upper left corner and select "Account." Scroll down to option #6 "Position Only Flights" and select the option to "Show Position Only Flights." Without that they won't show up if there is not a filed filed flight plan, with that option selected you will be able to see all the flights.
Nice! Thanks for this tip. I'll add that option #6 doesn't show up until you've verified your email address on the account. (then 'position only' option #6 appears and increments the options below it)

I can now see lots more flights on the rentals I use.

Has anyone mentioned frequency changes while under flight following? This is how it goes for me:

Podunk Approach: “Bugsmasher 123, contact Springfield center at 123.9”
Me: “Springfield 123.9”
(Switch to 123.9)
Me: “Springfield Center, Bugsmasher 123, level 5 thousand 5 hundred”

Is that how you guys handle the transfers?

Has anyone mentioned frequency changes while under flight following? This is how it goes for me:

(Switch to 123.9)

pretty much (other than including my identifier in your first 'me' reply, which I'm sure you left off for simplicity)

(Switch to 123.9)

Pretty much so. I let them know I'm "with them" when I check in though.

It's been a while since I did VFR flight following, but mine rarely showed up on flightaware. My IFR flights always show, and now I get notifications when I fly and don't file; it's linked to my ADSB. They actually can track my plane without filing a flight plan of any sort.

My last two VFR flights showed up on FlightAware. I didn't file a thing. :dunno:

(Switch to 123.9)

Yup.

Back