Flu - Checkrides cancelled

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
I have a lot of updates to do to my thread on the CFI quest but was scheduled to do the SE add on two weeks ago and DPE got the flu bad.

Then we went on our annual cruise and I floated around in a floating Petri dish and flew on SWA twice plus three days in NOLA and all sorts of public places. I’m blaming SWA just because I can. LOL.

Scheduled the ride for tomorrow (got back Sunday night) CFI and I did some ground practice teaching at the whiteboard on Monday because winds were gusting over 30 and Monday morning I had a tickle cough and by 3 after he had printed up the checkride endorsement stickers and we had IACRA all done the aches started and the cough was getting worse.

Went home thinking I really wanted it it be a 24 hour thing and I could get a practice landings flight in and then knock out this ride. But...

Last night 101F fever, achy all night all over, hid in the guest room and quarantined myself, sweat gallons, so today went to the doc. 101.6 temp and confirmed, Influenza A. Damn.

Of course I knew this going in. I just wanted the Tamiflu.

So Tamiflu for both me and my wife (lower dose for her) and I’ll be in bed the rest of the week.

Checkride cancelled ... again.

Weather sure is nice for a ride, too. Sigh. Sucks. Awesome temps and weather for February.

I did manage to go update databases the Garmin in the panel with the Concierge thingy from the iPad Monday afternoon before I went home. That was seriously slick. Garmin knows how to extract money from my wallet. Because it works. Nice.

I feel your pain. Not necessarily with checkrides, but the flu in general. Our school has been hit hard. We have over 20% of our students out and a ton of teachers daily. I'm seriously thinking about wearing a mask to work.

Being that close to the checkride & having to wait has to be very frustrating.

I hope you get it done soon.

We make plans & then life happens. Sometimes it sucks to be a human.

Be careful with Tamiflu...according to webmd:

If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
My neighbor was having trouble breathing this morning, and they were getting ready to go to the ER when she collapsed and died. I don't know that she took the stuff, but I strongly suspect it.

If I were to guess, she was in her late 20s. Husband and two small kids (2 & 4) left behind. :(

Be careful with Tamiflu...according to webmd:

My neighbor was having trouble breathing this morning, and they were getting ready to go to the ER when she collapsed and died. I don't know that she took the stuff, but I strongly suspect it.

If I were to guess, she was in her late 20s. Husband and two small kids (2 & 4) left behind. :(

Overdosed eh? Seems difficult considering the amount I was put on was pretty low and twice a day. The nasty flu strain this year has killed a bunch of kids. Over 100. I suspect it has killed som adults but haven’t looked. Saw the kid numbers on the news the other day. It was close to 200.

But I’ve got Influenza A, not the really nasty one.

Doc even joked, “So you DID get your flu shot this year, huh?” Thinking that the shot this year didn’t target Influenza A. I said, “No, I usually do but I got busy and never got it done. My wife has to get it for work though.”

So I got a bit lucky that I didn’t get the nasty strain I guess. H3N2 or whatever it is.

Ive heard some outlandish excuses but that one takes the cake Nate! Reschedule it and get it done! ****ing wimp ass pilot!

Oh I do hope you get over it quickly. :)

Overdosed eh? Seems difficult considering the amount I was put on was pretty low and twice a day. The nasty flu strain this year has killed a bunch of kids. Over 100. I suspect it has killed som adults but haven’t looked. Saw the kid numbers on the news the other day. It was close to 200.
The real question for me is how many of them took meds that might have contributed to their deaths with an overdose or whatever. The side effects can be pretty nasty, too.

If it were me, I'd take my chances with just the flu.

I have a lot of updates to do to my thread on the CFI quest but was scheduled to do the SE add on two weeks ago and DPE got the flu bad.

Then we went on our annual cruise and I floated around in a floating Petri dish and flew on SWA twice plus three days in NOLA and all sorts of public places. I’m blaming SWA just because I can. LOL.

Scheduled the ride for tomorrow (got back Sunday night) CFI and I did some ground practice teaching at the whiteboard on Monday because winds were gusting over 30 and Monday morning I had a tickle cough and by 3 after he had printed up the checkride endorsement stickers and we had IACRA all done the aches started and the cough was getting worse.

Went home thinking I really wanted it it be a 24 hour thing and I could get a practice landings flight in and then knock out this ride. But...

Last night 101F fever, achy all night all over, hid in the guest room and quarantined myself, sweat gallons, so today went to the doc. 101.6 temp and confirmed, Influenza A. Damn.

Of course I knew this going in. I just wanted the Tamiflu.

So Tamiflu for both me and my wife (lower dose for her) and I’ll be in bed the rest of the week.

Checkride cancelled ... again.

Weather sure is nice for a ride, too. Sigh. Sucks. Awesome temps and weather for February.

I did manage to go update databases the Garmin in the panel with the Concierge thingy from the iPad Monday afternoon before I went home. That was seriously slick. Garmin knows how to extract money from my wallet. Because it works. Nice.
I just finished making a couple gallons of home made chicken soup. Want me to stop by with a couple quarts?

I just finished making a couple gallons of home made chicken soup. Want me to stop by with a couple quarts?

Appreciate the offer but nah, I’m good. Not much appetite anyway. Just drinking lots of fluids.

Beer is inadequate to fight the flu. Vodka, vodka and orange juice....or vodka and tomato juice. Either one will fight the evil virus.

No. Vodka is for commies and Rooskies. If you need medicine then go with whisky. No e. The real stuff. From Scotland. If you want to mess around with metrosexual potions like vanilla and orange blossom then have at it. Wings up top and steering wheels under the rudder and get off my lawn and all that! :)

No. Vodka is for commies and Rooskies. If you need medicine then go with whisky. No e. The real stuff. From Scotland. If you want to mess around with metrosexual potions like vanilla and orange blossom then have at it. Wings up top and steering wheels under the rudder and get off my lawn and all that! :)
Provincial! With the evil flu virus the big guns have to be deployed. Vitamins, acids, ethanol. The wimpy whisky stuff lacks vitamins and acids since it's all ketones, brackish water and ethanol with maybe a hint of methanol. A good Scotsman would never actually produce a well distilled product because that would cost too much.

Flu’s bad this year. Lots of my students have had it, thankfully no one’s died....yet. Hope you feel better Nate.

Ooh fun. Fever is spiking. 103.3. Feels just lovely. Not.
It's not too bad until the hallucinations kick in. Just remember that most of it isn't real. The drool, pee, and poop are real but it all comes out in the wash.

Provincial! With the evil flu virus the big guns have to be deployed. Vitamins, acids, ethanol. The wimpy whisky stuff lacks vitamins and acids since it's all ketones, brackish water and ethanol with maybe a hint of methanol. A good Scotsman would never actually produce a well distilled product because that would cost too much.

Tha’ss bacozz ya got cajoled inta partin weez wit yer bankroll, ya goolie lekker! We mekk wessky fer arselves, not fur yew eejits! Tha’ss wye we seev ett fur sew menneh yearss. Ett’s too precious fur drenkin by the ign’int masses, laddie. Away an’ raffle yer heed! Go swaller yer tattie juice an layve meh a-lone wi’ me sporran fulla nectar.

Get thee to the ER. Much more and you get to visit the wonderful world of brain damage.
Karen's prolly got a bag in the 'fridge ready to jam in a vein.

Get thee to the ER. Much more and you get to visit the wonderful world of brain damage.

Yeah. I know.

I’m giving it an hour with a lot more fluids on board and cooling myself down with evaporation which is super uncomfortable but effective usually. I was pretty bundled up for a few hours trying to be comfortable with the temp and the aches. So I stripped off the blankets.

If it doesn’t come back down I’ll be visiting the ER tonight. Plus I’m not sure I’d feel up to driving and Karen is at rehearsal. She’ll be home shortly.

Got myself down to 102.7 by getting out of the bed and into lighter clothes after doing the “trick cold bath” thing. Run warm comfortable bath then add cold water until you can’t stand it anymore.

I just overheated myself in the bed because it felt better that way. Now I feel cool with a lighter robe on.

The pups are adorable. They know something is wrong so they keep checking on me.

Now if I could just teach the big one not to stick his cold nose on my leg and give me the willies. Hahaha. It’s impossible to be mad at him because he looks so forlorn if I say “no” when he does it. Haha. Big baby.

Tha’ss bacozz ya got cajoled inta partin weez wit yer bankroll, ya goolie lekker! We mekk wessky fer arselves, not fur yew eejits! Tha’ss wye we seev ett fur sew menneh yearss. Ett’s too precious fur drenkin by the ign’int masses, laddie. Away an’ raffle yer heed! Go swaller yer tattie juice an layve meh a-lone wi’ me sporran fulla nectar.
I see you sampled the methanol.

Fought the real thing a few years back - was afraid I was gonna die, first few days; then afraid I wouldn't, over the next couple. Better part of two weeks, on-set to recovery.

My great aunt lost half her siblings in the 1918 outbreak (H1N1, I think).

I've had some pretty bad bouts with flu-like illness, but I don't know if I've ever had the real thing. Woke up this morning with what feels like a one-sided cold... hope it doesn't turn into anything worse. Now where'd I put those zinc lozenges? Hmmm...

Daughter has the flu, diagnosed yesterday. I had no symptoms, but still called and got the Tamiflu going...

Alternating Tylenol and Advil every three hours kept my fever down when I had it. I did get the flu shot, and I did take Tamiflu, but still felt like crap for three days.

Alternating Tylenol and Advil every three hours kept my fever down when I had it. I did get the flu shot, and I did take Tamiflu, but still felt like crap for three days.

Yeah. It’s pretty much inevitable.

101.5 this morning.

Woke up at 0500 which the dog that needed to go out approved of, but would have preferred to be passed out for a few more hours.

Interesting I forgot how difficult it is to navigate stairs when your major leg muscle groups are shivering. Ha. Wobble wobble.

Get well soon... Your check ride is the least of your worries right now..

In my experience, and mind you, I am neither a doctor nor have I slept at Holiday Inn recently, but that's usually a sign it's about to break. That, or you're on the verge of death which I hope you're not. I feel your pain Nate. I hate being held hostage by some effing virus I can't even see. I'm 78, and if I get this strain of flu I will not likely be around long.

In my experience, and mind you, I am neither a doctor nor have I slept at Holiday Inn recently, but that's usually a sign it's about to break. That, or you're on the verge of death which I hope you're not. I feel your pain Nate. I hate being held hostage by some effing virus I can't even see. I'm 78, and if I get this strain of flu I will not likely be around long.

I hear ya. Yeah I got it lower by aggressively cooling myself down, lowered it to about 102.7 last night, and woke up at 101.5 about four hours ago. So it’s trending the right direction.

Also no signs of horrible respiratory junk which I usually got when I was smoking — I quit Jan 1 — and I’m very thankful I did. This is going much better than my usual.

Just a light cough and a little “stuff” and the usual abdomen muscles mildly unhappy from coughing.

Judging by the behavior of this thing if I don’t get a respiratory infection I’ll be feeling pretty good by the weekend.

My neck sweats profusely when I have a fever. It’s so odd. I guess it’s the body trying to cool off the blood flow in the big arteries to the brain? I can also use it as a sign of whether I’ve been intaking enough fluids. It stops if I get dehydrated.

I hear ya. Yeah I got it lower by aggressively cooling myself down, lowered it to about 102.7 last night, and woke up at 101.5 about four hours ago. So it’s trending the right direction.

Also no signs of horrible respiratory junk which I usually got when I was smoking — I quit Jan 1 — and I’m very thankful I did. This is going much better than my usual.

Just a light cough and a little “stuff” and the usual abdomen muscles mildly unhappy from coughing.

Judging by the behavior of this thing if I don’t get a respiratory infection I’ll be feeling pretty good by the weekend.

My neck sweats profusely when I have a fever. It’s so odd. I guess it’s the body trying to cool off the blood flow in the big arteries to the brain? I can also use it as a sign of whether I’ve been intaking enough fluids. It stops if I get dehydrated.
Have you been keeping a cool/cold wet cloth around your neck. It really helps keep the temps down. Also great in the summer heat.

Back