Took my son flying for the first time

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
On Saturday, I had the privilege of giving my 3 year old his first airplane ride. Was a short-ish x/c to KDAG to drop him off with his mom for her 2 weeks with him. I definitely had some anxiety about how he'd react to a new environment, and being the only other person in the plane, not being able to work through a meltdown. Those fears were completely unfounded, he loved it! Even when we hit a bit of turbulence, he said do it again daddy, that was fun. Couple lessons learned..1. Adult headsets don't want to stay on his head when he's in the car seat.. 2. Don't use a car seat.. Get a booster with a 5 point harness. Will be easier getting in and out of the back seat of the cherokee. Can't wait to fly him again!

27459632_10157182725044535_5694588740226855439_n.jpg 27750469_10157182725349535_336650727734505416_n.jpg

Nice! I am planning to take my son up for the first time on the 17th for his third birthday. Our plan is to use a small booster seat with my wife back there to help him out.

Nice! I am planning to take my son up for the first time on the 17th for his third birthday. Our plan is to use a small booster seat with my wife back there to help him out.
First time through speed reading, I read that you were going to put your son in a booster on his 17th birthday.... Guess I should slow down.

It is so cool getting to introduce children to the wonders of flight. I'm glad it was a positive experience for your son. My children are grown so for me it is taking the grandchildren up. I took my oldest granddaughter up on Wright Brothers Day, 12/17/16 for her first flight. I bought her a childs headset so it would fit her a little better. At three they were still a bit big that first flight, but now at four she has grown into them. The attached picture was from that first flight. She was so enthralled by hearing herself through the intercom it was all I could do to get her to be quiet when I needed to talk on the radio.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1 MB · Views: 22
1. Adult headsets don't want to stay on his head when he's in the car seat.. 2.

DC makes a youth version of the 10-13.4, but I already owned the adult version, so I went to the DC web site and ordered the youth headband spring and swapped it out. It worked the treat for our girl, she was 3 at the time. When you run out of adjustability with the youth headband, swap the adult piece back in. If you already have a 10-13.4, Bob's your uncle.

http://www.davidclarkcompany.com/product/?ItemNumber=40411G-04

I ordered #12.

Thanks Bill!

OH, and we found that putting a baseball cap on her 1st, then the headset worked very well, the added friction of the hat against the headband kept them in place. We called it her special airplane hat and only let her wear it in the plane, so when we went flying she was always eager to wear her airplane hat!

Didn’t take my kids up untill they were nine or ten,the earlier the better.

Didn’t take my son up until he was 22. It was still great! Hope you two have many happy years of flying together.

Thanks! I can't wait til i can put him up front and let him take the controls.

Put that kid in the front seat and let him fly! Here is my youngest when she was three.

Now at ten, mom Got banished to the back and Piper is my copilot

3D59BD23-CBED-46A7-9FEB-3686AF0FB454.jpeg

Single door in the cherokee and debonair preclude that i think

@sferguson524 ,

i've also found that if you fold a washcloth or small hand towel and velcro it around the top of the head band, it fits the small kid better, so the ear pieces actually fall over the ear instead of the neck. might work in a pinch vs buying one for the odd ride.

for example:
upload_2018-2-5_21-27-31.png

Last edited:
Back