List of airports with on site resturants in MN, ND or SD?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
anyone knows of a website or something that have a list of airports with on-site restaurants in upper mid-west? the only one i know of if KBRD, their breakfast is getting old. i believe there is one on lake superior as well...

anything else out there?

Madden's on the Lake. East Gullwing township airport near brainerd

Some steak place in Huron, SD in the terminal.

Fly to park rapids, MN Borrow crew car. Bella's Cafe on Third or any number of downtown places.

Madden's on the Lake. East Gullwing township airport near brainerd

Some steak place in Huron, SD in the terminal.

Fly to park rapids, MN Borrow crew car. Bella's Cafe on Third or any number of downtown places.
The place in Huron is no longer at the airport, moved down town, now located in a hotel. We flew in last fall looking for it. Had to take courtesy car, food was good but no longer at the airport.

The place in Huron is no longer at the airport, moved down town, now located in a hotel. We flew in last fall looking for it. Had to take courtesy car, food was good but no longer at the airport.

Thanks for the update. They used to have a limo that would pick you up downtown and drive you to the airport. I guess moving the restaurant to the customers made more sense.

b/w made a trip to Aberdeen, SD.. 2 miles from the airport is a restaurant called Maverick... the food is awesome

b/w made a trip to Aberdeen, SD.. 2 miles from the airport is a restaurant called Maverick... the food is awesome

Hmmm. That’s my family’s ancient stomping grounds... not sure anyone is still alive but cousins up there I hardly know, but I’ve been looking for an excuse to fly up there sometime.

Technically Aberdeen is the big city to my family from up there... they lived around Miller. Many of them are buried there too.

EAU has a nice restaurant on the field, SUW also, they are closed Mondays.

OVL, not on the airport but an easy walk about a block down is Max’s Grill.

LRJ in northwest IA has a restaurant right outside the gate too, 4 Brothers.

Can also vouch for EAU and 9WN2 previously mentioned.

Keep the list going, I need more excuses to fly!

That's my next plan..if the weather ever improves and

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if you can park by the restaurant, it is at the terminal not by the FBO. Otherwise the FBO has a courtesy car and there is a great truck stop restaurant not far from the airport. Full disclosure, I have not been to the airport's restaurant.

Thanks guys, let’s keep this list growing. When I have a chance to visit these will provide pirep. For now, Devils lake doesn’t have a restaurant anywhere close and there isn’t even a FBO there or anything open there on sundays in case u need to p**. Ask me how I know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, let’s keep this list growing. When I have a chance to visit these will provide pirep. For now, Devils lake doesn’t have a restaurant anywhere close and there isn’t even a FBO there or anything open there on sundays in case u need to p**. Ask me how I know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually I believe there is. I was there last year and there's not much to it, but there was some chairs, a TV, WiFi and a bathroom. It's connected to the hangar northwest of the tie downs.

sub'd to this thread
o.png

PIREP - Huron, SD (KHON)

paging @Sinistar since he will be interested in this report.

Flew to Huron for the heck of it this Saturday. This was about the flight, not the destination. Here is a full report:

weather wise it was pretty awesome day to fly as per METAR and TAF. took off around 1115 and encountered a scattered layer at 5000 about 10 miles south of KFAR, after bumping around in the sky pretty good, found a hole and climbed to 6500 and found some respite. mostly clear sky with occasional clouds and large areas of haze (or cloud, don't really know). thermals over un-ploughed field in spring is NOT a time I like to fly. it was fairly bumpy below 5000 and for a change I am not being melodramatic (yah right!!), had several un-commanded 10-15 degree or more roll.

During all the bouncing around didn't realize I had the CTAF at 123.3 instead of 123.0 … so essentially landed NORDO. :(

Radar Coverage - there is a area right after KFAR TRSA for about 30-40 miles where there is no radar coverage and even the radio coverage is fairly crappy.

About the FBO
Nice FBO. there was no one around, I had to call about 3 people to get gas. but here is the kicker - they have a landing fee of $10 waived with 10 gal or top off gas purchase. I am all in to support FBO's and small businesses and whenever possible I use them to buy gas (yah I am lazy), but I certainly do not appreciate when i dont need to buy gas and pay a landing fee on a public airport. from what I could tell, the only access to the ramp is via that FBO. someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. very clean and very nice FBO. no computer for checking wx, but has free wifi. @Sinistar they also have tie down fees :)

this town runs on AT&T and I found it out the hard way. I have travelled to some really secluded places in US and this is the only place I have been where Verizon doesn't have good service. forget good, I had no service most of the time. so I had to drive around by Pilotage.... o man you should have seen the terror in my eyes when my phone GPS said "no connection" :p:p

I was trying to find Ryan's Hangar - great food I hear but without a GPS or a paper map I just didn't fee like roaming around so decided to have Italian in a Mexican restaurant. seriously. see the pic below.

after lunch, came back, the airport lady came over and filled up my tanks to the brim (grrrr). Took off and climbed at 1500 FPM (yah updrafts baby) and then at 100 fpm :)() till about 5000 where it smoothed out again. dodged a few layers here and there.

ohh… both TAF and GFA guys had it wrong (forecasted initially calm and then max of 7kts). Windy.com had it right (8G19 at KHON and 11G19 at KFAR)

here is what chicken carbonara looks like next to nacho chips (or whatever they are called)
upload_2018-4-30_15-45-16.png

Edit: while having nacho, connected to the local wifi and figured out Ryan's hangar restaurant doesn't open before 4 PM … so there is that

Last edited:
Wow, landing fee there huh? Was it obvious who to call to get fuel.

If this is my stop on the way, I don't want it taking forever.

So they must have had a car, that's nice.

Kinda weird to think no Verizon there. Did your re-start your phone?

Wow talk about totally different wx near the Twin Cities. Each time I pulled AWOS at our airport it was winds calm or 090@03. But it was bumpy from 1000msl to 5000msl here as well.

PIREP - Huron, SD (KHON)
so I had to drive around by Pilotage.... o man you should have seen the terror in my eyes when my phone GPS said "no connection" :p:p

The whole town is only a 2 miles square. I doubt you could get very lost. :)

My dad's side of the family is from Miller, an hour west. And there's isn't CHIT between the two. LOL...

And I'm laughing right now because Google Maps shows there's a traffic jam in Miller at the moment. A whole block long. :)

Wow, landing fee there huh? Was it obvious who to call to get fuel.

If this is my stop on the way, I don't want it taking forever.

So they must have had a car, that's nice.

Kinda weird to think no Verizon there. Did your re-start your phone?

Wow talk about totally different wx near the Twin Cities. Each time I pulled AWOS at our airport it was winds calm or 090@03. But it was bumpy from 1000msl to 5000msl here as well.
yes, only one FBO out there. inside the FBO there is a office place that had closed shutter and 4 phone numbers with names listed on them (it would be nice to put the area code there too, cuz when i called without the area code, Verizon just said - call couldnt be completed). 605 is the area code. it took her about 40 mins to get there since she was out doing her hair.

if you are stopping by there on Friday @Sinistar , i suspect they would be open, but again .. who knows. the first person i called said he is in alabama... i was about to ask if he was attending the Damn fly-in or what...

didnt try to restart the phone. the gal said, the only provider here is AT&T. i was able to text people back home and got replies, but again the text to you didnt get delivered until i landed back in Fargo

My girlfriend and I have a system for finding food while in flight (seems like she always states on take off, "I'm not hungry, lets fly the whole way..." Only to change her mind mid-flight to, "I'm starving, lets land and eat."). On the ground we use "fly2lunch.com", but in the air we use the AOPA GO app. With the app, we just hit nearest airports, then services...scroll down to restaurants and anything listed like .1 miles from airport is good to go.

Back