TKM MX170C or KX155?

Price it in AMUs, it sounds cheaper. "Only 7.5 AMUs for the new radio."

Lol can't you buy like Dynon Skyview system for Experimentals for not much more than that? LOL.

Hey I got a killer deal for you certified guys...one radio and indicator for one low price of $7500!!!! Why aren't these things flying off the shelves already?!

Did the math...going the TKM route with the King 209, and KN-75 glideslope receiver...your looking at a little over $4500 before install. Honestly it almost makes sense to just spend the extra few thousand for brand new tech.

Actually $7500 for a brand new GNC255 and brand new GI-106 INSTALLED (this was quoted for install price included) seems fairly reasonable to me.

Which is why I think the TKM route is your best option if you're going to do the upgrade...

Which is why I think the TKM route is your best option if you're going to do the upgrade...

Ehh..I disagree. I think your misinterpreted my post. Your gonna be at $5500-$6000 after install for TKM, King 209, and KN-75. versus $7500 for new GNC255 and GI-106B installed. I think it is worth the extra few thousand at that point.

Ehh..I disagree. I think your misinterpreted my post. Your gonna be at $5500-$6000 after install for TKM, King 209, and KN-75. versus $7500 for new GNC255 and GI-106B installed. I think it is worth the extra few thousand at that point.

I think your TKM option price is a bit high, but if the difference really is between $1.5K and $2K, then yeah, I would go with the GNC255...

Best of luck with it!

I think your TKM option price is a bit high, but if the difference really is between $1.5K and $2K, then yeah, I would go with the GNC255...

Best of luck with it!

It could be...I assume install would be a bit more since they have to add in the glideslope receiver since it is not built into the KI-209. But regardless it probably isn't too far off of that.

Thanks...going to lunch with my dad soon...hopefully figure out what road we are going to go down.

And actually while were at it lets add in a GTN 650, and 2 G5s, new audio panel, maybe a JPI 930...maybe upgrade the motor to 180HP. Maybe we can get rid of the Cherokee wing and put on a Lancair wing. Should be pretty cheap :D:p

You know what really grinds my gears though? Experimental avionics prices vs certified. It's a travesty I tell ya.

Easy solution, sell it and buy an RV. Your never go back to the certified world.

Bob

If anyone finds a nice used GI-106A from a reputable source PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Bennett has them for $2k. Would be awesome if I could find one for $1500-$1700. Prefer not some sketchy shop on eBay.

Thanks!
For what it's worth, mine is sitting on a tray rt now that's going on POA store with a pencil next week, or tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just ordered an MX170C, but won't have a chance to put it in and try it for a few weeks.

My airplane is a flying museum of avionics (I belong in a museum too, but that's another story). I'm IFR rated but stopped busting clouds ten years ago. There are no clouds in Arizona that hold any attraction for me. So (in addition to Foreflight on the iGadget) two working coms, one or two VORs, the DME, KLN90B (VFR) and the ADF (still works) are all I need.

One of the original KX175Bs just croaked. For less money than the MX170C I could have gotten a new, state-of-the-art Garmin GTR225 com and given up one of the VORs. But installation would have been more involved, and nobody could promise that it would play well with my ancient KMA20 audio panel. I figured it would be safer going with something that was as close to the original box as possible. We'll see how it works.

I love KX155s, but the problems with service, and the likelihood of a display problem eventually, are unacceptable to me.

Last edited:
They have offered us a KX155/King 209 combo for $3k.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I missed this part in your original post. Did that $3K quote cover installation? If so, based on your situation as described, this really seems like the lowest cost approach to your needs.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I missed this part in your original post. Did that $3K quote cover installation? If so, based on your situation as described, this really seems like the lowest cost approach to your needs.

Nope didn't include installation.

To be honest...I think we will probably end up just trying another King 214. It is a total crap shoot and frustrating, but my dad just won't agree to spend the money on newer avionics. It is what it is...

If it was up to my dad we wouldn't even fix any of this lol...but because of my IR training I kinda need a working CDI. We would be flying with a broken attitude indicator, no working VORs, etc lol...he is VFR so he doesn't care.

I understand your frustration with your avionics. I think we have all been there at one point or another. My advice is to try to fix what you have and go ahead and do your checkride and get that over with. Then you can decide what you want to do. If you decide to keep the Cherokee (and there is nothing wrong with flying a Cherokee), and you want to fly it in IMC, then you can get an IFR GPS put in. You are adding more stress by trying to upgrade your avionics while also stressing over your checkride. You need an avionics guy that has been around the block a few times and can work with your old equipment.

Yea, 2k if nothing else is wrong with the radio. The biggest problem is because of age the caps are starting to leak and need to be replaced. There day is long gone. When I bought them in the early 90s they were the top of the heap, great radio but designed in the stone ages. Just like the 170 probabbly the best radio ever built for ga.

Bob
Caps leaking stopped about thirty years ago. What is the REAL problem?

Jim

Actually $7500 for a brand new GNC255 and brand new GI-106 INSTALLED (this was quoted for install price included) seems fairly reasonable to me.

Find a shop with cheaper labor. The time you spend calling around may save you a lot. 255a has a CDI built in if I remember.

I have a super-nice KI-209 indicator that is for sale if that fits with the radio that you choose for your upgrade plan. It is compatible with pretty much anything that fits into your existing trays or with the KX155. Asking $650 with shipping and offering a 30-day guarantee.

I think that there are a lot of good, economical upgrade options out there, but you just need to figure out how long you are going to hang onto the plane. If you haven't done so yet, take a look at a MAC1700. It is just a KX170 with a digital front end, but my experience is that they are reliable if you can get past the weight. It would be a nice upgrade and your installation cost would be nill since you already have KX170 trays installed. You would need to add a KN-75 glideslope receiver, but they are cheap and the installation cost should be minimal.

If you plan to keep the plane for a while, you may get more bang for your buck by buying a serviceable GNS-430. You can pick them up for under $4500 if you keep your eyes peeled and this would certainly add to your capabilities, although at a higher cost after you add an indicator.

there are a lot of used sl30's available from Europe right now as they are being pulled due to the freq requirements over there. The sl30 is a good option also.

Bob
And it's compatible the GI106 and a few decent King Indicators

Something I haven't seen pop up here, but are you 2020 compliant? If you try to sell the plane without some sort of compliance, you're going to take a $10k hit on value. It's an easy, legit bargaining chip and no matter how many sworn afidavits you have verifying the beauty of your wiring, no one will take your word that just dropping a new transponder won't end up in a rat's nest of teflon wire and broken dreams. I think right now that trying to sell a trainer without GPS and without 2020 compliance is going to end badly for you. The right radio setup can solve both issues. Cry now or cry later, but you're kind of stuck. Your airplane is significantly less liquid.

See my other thread pleaseeee

Back