Super Decathlon first flight...

916Bob

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
916Bob
So, I flew the plane for the first time today, for 2.2 hours. Regrettably, no aerobatics were involved since there were no parachutes available. Parachutes are required for the majority of those type of maneuvers. Anyway, the flight was more about getting familiar with flying the plane and with landing and taking off a tail dragger.

Surprisingly, the dragging tail made it one of the easier planes to control on the ground I’ve experienced. We had an 8+ knot direct cross wind which was all but unnoticeable while taxiing. Taking off was similarly easy. On landing however, I saw how the tail would be perfectly happy leading the way. I’ll admit the first few touch and go’s included a bit more S-turn action than I liked but I still managed to keep it close to the centerline. I usually crab ’till just before touchdown but I discovered this plane is much happier slipping most of the final. My last landing was from the back seat and it was my best. I had been warned to expect some bouncing on touchdown but never experienced anything significant. I was happy for that.

I was truly impressed with the effectiveness of the controls, especially the rudder. I did some steep decent slips that were quite impressive. You can drop like a rock and while doing so, easily manage the airspeed. More than once on landing though, just before touch down, I had the stick as far back as I could get it. It happened both in the front and back seats. I’d like to find a fix for that.

I was surprised with how easy it was to see out of the front seat on the ground. I expected the nose high attitude would make it difficult to see for taxiing but that was not the case at all. When you raise the tail during take off, the view gets even more impressive. The view out the top window during step turns was equally impressive. Speaking of steep turns, I was surprised at how easy it was to maintain a precise altitude through several of them.

I had planned on videoing the flight but it was so cold when we got started, I decided not to bother with it. I know it ain’t much of an excuse but I’m getting’ a bit wussy in my old age. I’ll get one of the next flight.

Pretty fun, eh? I love the Super D!

More than once on landing though, just before touch down, I had the stick as far back as I could get it. It happened both in the front and back seats. I’d like to find a fix for that.

How far forward was the CG? Shouldn't that full-aft stick equate to touchdown right at the stall?

Great airplanes. Have fun with the acro it's a blast

More than once on landing though, just before touch down, I had the stick as far back as I could get it. It happened both in the front and back seats. I’d like to find a fix for that.

Do you mean you had the stick all the way back and it wasn't enough? Was there anything getting in the way of the stick? When I was heavier I had to suck in my gut for the landing in order to get the stick back far enough. And one time a mechanic helpfully strapped in my logbook binder in the back seat which blocked about the last 1" of travel. I was wondering why the airplane was just not getting its nose up on landing. But if the controls are rigged correctly you should have plenty of travel to three-point the landing.

Do you mean you had the stick all the way back and it wasn't enough? Was there anything getting in the way of the stick? When I was heavier I had to suck in my gut for the landing in order to get the stick back far enough. And one time a mechanic helpfully strapped in my logbook binder in the back seat which blocked about the last 1" of travel. I was wondering why the airplane was just not getting its nose up on landing. But if the controls are rigged correctly you should have plenty of travel to three-point the landing.

The stick hits the harness at my crotch. The landings turned out fine, I just would have liked a wee bit more travel. I tried to move the front seat back when I first got in the plane but I couldn't get it to budge. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs so I was hoping it wasn't me needing a crash diet (pun intended).

How far forward was the CG? Shouldn't that full-aft stick equate to touchdown right at the stall?
The instructor and I are both about 165lbs and we took off with both tanks under 3/4 full. It needed nose down trim during the whole flight. If the plane didn't have the 5th point harness attachment, I think the stick movement would have been fine.

Super D = Super Fun. Keep us posted when you start learning wheel landings. Took me a long time to not fear a prop strike every time I was pushing forward (or not pulling back, however you want to think about it).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Super D = Super Fun. Keep us posted when you start learning wheel landings. Took me a long time to not fear a prop strike every time I was pushing forward (or not pulling back, however you want to think about it).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That’s for sure. It’s reassuring when you realize the prop isn’t as close to the ground as you think it is.

The stick hits the harness at my crotch. The landings turned out fine, I just would have liked a wee bit more travel. I tried to move the front seat back when I first got in the plane but I couldn't get it to budge. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs so I was hoping it wasn't me needing a crash diet (pun intended).

I'm a shortie so I have the seat moved all the way to the front. The stick hits the cushion but I can pull it all the way to the stop without much force. Hopefully it's just a matter of budging the front seat to give you a little more room. Tall folks seem to have little problem with the Super D.

Enjoy the Super D. It is a great fun airplane!

It's a great plane. I finally completed my FR and insurance checkout, now just get to FLY!!!

I'm a shortie so I have the seat moved all the way to the front. The stick hits the cushion but I can pull it all the way to the stop without much force. Hopefully it's just a matter of budging the front seat to give you a little more room. Tall folks seem to have little problem with the Super D.

Leave the seat back and use a thicker back cushion. You'll probably find that the only time you use full deflection is just after touchdown. I have a lot of time in the Super D and most of the other Citabria line. All of them fun but the Super D is the best flying of the bunch.

The stick hits the harness at my crotch. The landings turned out fine, I just would have liked a wee bit more travel.

Sounds like you need a little less crotch, but we all know that taildragger drivers are hung like Mustangs.

Back