Near Miss with Drone

Saw that on the evening news. They (FAA) need to hammer the drone idiot to set an example before a drone causes a plane crashes. Idiot posted it online so shouldn't be difficult to track them down.

Last edited:
Yeah, although that bird strike would be a bigger deal on my airplane than the Area 51 737

I had a drone pass within a few hundred feet of me just south of the Dallas Class B. This week I just got back the NASA report with a little hand written "thank you" in red ink at the top. I believe there are a few in the alphabet groups that are looking for a fish to filet in public. This might be our "little fish" ... burn, baby burn!

This guy needs to be thrown the book. Unfortunately he's protected by the fact he posted it online. FAA has a policy that they can't use online videos as means to an investigation.

This guy needs to be thrown the book. Unfortunately he's protected by the fact he posted it online. FAA has a policy that they can't use online videos as means to an investigation.

I don’t think that’s true. I thought online video can be used but it cannot be the only evidence.

Although this was definitely a stupid move on the drone pilots part, I can tell by the maneuvers this drone is doing that it is a “FPV” drone, which most likely means it is very small and light...like 15oz or so...so no more dangerous than a pigeon.

In the video, there's a brief pop-up notice that says, "Mark Stoney is active now." I suspect it's a FaceBook alert.

It appears the drone pilot may have left a pretty big bread crumb by uploading the output of a screen recorder running on his Android phone instead of uploading a clean version of the original video.

It's briefly there around 0:38 and near the end.

Drone_Mark_Stoney.jpg

Last edited:
Although this was definitely a stupid move on the drone pilots part, I can tell by the maneuvers this drone is doing that it is a “FPV” drone, which most likely means it is very small and light...like 15oz or so...so no more dangerous than a pigeon.
15oz of metal and plastic will destroy a engine if injested. How'd you like to be sitting in back on approach and see the engine come apart?

15oz of metal and plastic will destroy a engine if injested. How'd you like to be sitting in back on approach and see the engine come apart?
Mostly plastic with some carbon fiber and a little metal. Again, no more dangerous than a pigeon. But if you need to be afraid, then by all means, fear the drone.

Or it could be a large drone too. Pretty much any drone could be "FPV" (first person view).
DJI has the goggles for their drones, some of which are rather large. https://store.dji.com/guides/fpv-drone/

Last edited:
Did you watch the video? Not a dji
Yep. I did. No indication that I could see of any drone type. Could be a large one, or a small one.
Nearly any drone could be a "FPV", as stated in the DJI web site. As they manufacture drones, I believe them to be a credible source of information.

It’s close, but not as close as I expected.

Curious... it almost looks like the drone tries to descend closer to the jet. Perhaps it’s just camera zooming???
Either way it makes it obvious he knew better.

Mostly plastic with some carbon fiber and a little metal. Again, no more dangerous than a pigeon. But if you need to be afraid, then by all means, fear the drone.

But a pigeon isn’t required to give way to a manned aircraft. If a collision does occur, it’s the drone pilot who gets in trouble not the plane pilot.

It’s not about being afraid either. It’s about not wanting one’s personal aircraft damaged by a toy.

Yep. I did. No indication that I could see of any drone type. Could be a large one, or a small one.
Nearly any drone could be a "FPV", as stated in the DJI web site. As they manufacture drones, I believe them to be a credible source of information.
Then you don't know drones...the maneuvers it was performing tell you that it is definitely not a dji. And why am I not surprised, that the person telling about all the damage it could cause doesn't know drones...people are always afraid of what they don't understand.

Then you don't know drones...the maneuvers it was performing tell you that it is definitely not a dji. And why am I not surprised, that the person telling about all the damage it could cause doesn't know drones...people are always afraid of what they don't understand.
What? Pivoting and tracking with the camera? Zooming as the plane goes underneath? Many drones, large and small, can do that. It need not be a DJI. I provided a credible citation that any drone could be an "FPV". The citation happened to be the DJI web site and I consider them credible. I've only read "you are wrong" and "You don't know drones" from your posts.

How about you show credible information to back your claims? Explain what in the video makes it a small, rather than a large drone. Try to back it up with some citations.

What? Pivoting and tracking with the camera? Zooming as the plane goes underneath? Many drones, large and small, can do that.

If I have to explain it...

upload_2018-2-4_15-33-49.png

I've seen what a 3/16 nut can do to a engine. Destroy it. You have absolutely no idea what you speak of.

What? Pivoting and tracking with the camera? Zooming as the plane goes underneath? Many drones, large and small, can do that. It need not be a DJI. I provided a credible citation that any drone could be an "FPV". The citation happened to be the DJI web site and I consider them credible. I've only read "you are wrong" and "You don't know drones" from your posts.

How about you show credible information to back your claims? Explain what in the video makes it a small, rather than a large drone. Try to back it up with some citations.
Sure. And while I’m busy doing that @Paulie can show me proof of all the jets damaged by drones.

Still looking for your proof...
So drones are safe because they haven't killed a plane load of people yet? That's your argument? Go away and play with your drone. I'm done debating the witless. Ignored.

Still looking for your proof...

That’s because a jet hasn’t taken a drone to an engine yet. Are you actually saying a drone won’t cause a flameout but yet a bird will???

So how does the model of drone make the act any less of a violation?

And just like Paulie, I’ve also seen small pieces of hardware and other debris cause substantial damage to an engine.

Those who want to dismiss this possibility are basically ignorant of the truth.

So drones are safe because they haven't killed a plane load of people yet? That's your argument? Go away and play with your drone. I'm done debating the witless. Ignored.
If something 15 oz could routinely bring down a jet (or even plane) there would be a lot more crashes. For example, there are over 10,000 bird strikes per year, but we’re worried about drones?
I’m not suggesting anyone tempt fate, I just prefer to worry about real threats, not perceived threats.

If something 15 oz could routinely bring down a jet (or even plane) there would be a lot more crashes. For example, there are over 10,000 bird strikes per year, but we’re worried about drones?

The difference is that we (humans) control drones, so there should never be a drone strike. Beyond that, you can build a drone (let's just say it - quadcopter) plenty big enough to damage a turbine. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it wont.

Sure. And while I’m busy doing that @Paulie can show me proof of all the jets damaged by drones.
Another PoA "expert".
Here's some data on some tests: https://www.eurocockpit.be/news/small-drones-big-damage
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/november/29/drone-collisions-with-aircraft-modeled
http://www.assureuas.org/projects/deliverables/sUASGroundCollisionReport.php

I’m not suggesting anyone tempt fate, I just prefer to worry about real threats, not perceived threats.
And how do you know the drone "only" weighed 15 ounces? You keep asserting this but haven't provided proof. Most of that mass is in the battery and I'd prefer not to have a small brick going through my windshield.

Another PoA "expert".
Here's some data on some tests: https://www.eurocockpit.be/news/small-drones-big-damage
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/november/29/drone-collisions-with-aircraft-modeled
http://www.assureuas.org/projects/deliverables/sUASGroundCollisionReport.php

And how do you know the drone "only" weighed 15 ounces? You keep asserting this but haven't provided proof. Most of that mass is in the battery and I'd prefer not to have a small brick going through my windshield.
And still, no proof of a single plane or jet damaged/brought down by a drone. I never said it wasn’t possible, just HIGHLY unlikely.
But hey, let’s pass some more laws, just in case. Meanwhile, I’m going to continue working for my IFR rating, because that’s a threat I can quantify. You guys can continue discussing how dangerous drones are...

And still, no proof of a single plane or jet damaged/brought down by a drone. I never said it wasn’t possible, just HIGHLY unlikely.
But hey, let’s pass some more laws, just in case. Meanwhile, I’m going to continue working for my IFR rating, because that’s a threat I can quantify. You guys can continue discussing how dangerous drones are...
We wouldn't need the laws if people would just have the common sense not the do the stuff shown in post one of this thread.

As for drone-aircraft collisions, I didn't need to look very hard...
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/16/drone-hits-passenger-plane-canada/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ports-drone-collision-passenger-jet/96237622/
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...med-for-collision-with-helicopter-in-new-york

And there have been many near misses documented as well.

Why is it that you need not provide proof of your statements but everyone else does? Where's your evidence that the drone was a small one?

Lol! “Plane or jet.” Good one. I guess it’s ok if a helicopter gets damaged by a drone because some loser wants to fly FPV outside of visual range though.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/drone-collides-black-hawk-helicopter-50041061

Good job you guys! 50 million flights per year, and you found three possible drone collisions. You’re right. They are dangerous.

Good job you guys! 50 million flights per year, and you found three possible drone collisions. You’re right. They are dangerous.
How many do you need? They were actual drone collisions, not "possible".

Based on your attitude, I think we need more laws. I'm sure you represent a typical drone flyer. People thinking like you have harassed wildlife with drones, flown them into hot springs in Yellowstone, and flown them near manned aircraft, and have impeded fire-fighting efforts.
Every single one of your assertions in this thread have been proven wrong. Yet still you persist in posting BS.

Based on your reading comprehension in this thread, I doubt you'll pass the IFR written. I gave you 3 citations of actual collisions.

How many do you need? They were actual drone collisions, not "possible".

Based on your attitude, I think we need more laws. I'm sure you represent a typical drone flyer. People thinking like you have harassed wildlife with drones, flown them into hot springs in Yellowstone, and flown them near manned aircraft, and have impeded fire-fighting efforts.
Every single one of your assertions in this thread have been proven wrong. Yet still you persist in posting BS.

Based on your reading comprehension in this thread, I doubt you'll pass the IFR written. I gave you 3 citations of actual collisions.

What bs exactly? That drones aren’t as dangerous as some want you to believe? Um no.

And since you’re so fond of posting links (and nice attempt at a cut down):

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...y-what-a-ridiculous-test.101453/#post-2235304

How about we just make the drone dummy liable for the repair of a $10000000 (And up) jet engine if the drone is ingested? Or any other repair of damage or cost of a diversion or any other costs like a go around or dry cleaning of crew and/or pax underwear?

Cheers

What bs exactly? That drones aren’t as dangerous as some want you to believe? Um no.

And since you’re so fond of posting links (and nice attempt at a cut down):

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...y-what-a-ridiculous-test.101453/#post-2235304
You certainly haven provided proof that drones don't pose a hazard.
I post credible links because I'm just some dude on the internet, as you are. I make no claims to expertise in a field. All you've posted are unsubstantiated claims. You still haven't shown that it was a small drone in the video.
I'm sure you think this is ok to do:

or this:

I'll let you repeat your claim that what they are doing is fine because drone-aircraft collisions are rare.

Uhhhh. . .nonsense. Birds are generally organic, low mass per volume, hollow bones, come apart pretty readily. Not much hardware is required to destroy a turbine, so yeah, it makes sense to "fear" a drone ingestion as much as a bird. Also much harder to hold a dead bird accountable, wheras flaying the flesh off the moron drone operator may have some deterrent effect

Back