Cloud Nine's New Plane

The hangar smells like Jet-A. I like it. :).

images

Last edited:
It's also the stator vanes to consider when the turbine wheels get looked at. Most likely some of them will need replacing and although not as expensive as the turbine wheels, they're still costly. Not sure if they can be repaired or welded.

It's also the stator vanes to consider when the turbine wheels get looked at. Most likely some of them will need replacing and although not as expensive as the turbine wheels, they're still costly. Not sure if they can be repaired or welded.

Very good point.

The estimate I got from the Honeywell service center included changing out stage 1 and 2 turbine wheels and stators as well as an overhauled combustor and a new combustor case (the item of the AD). Hence the price is high. But I'm going to talk to them some more to understand better how they're actually going to handle the engine if I send it to them.

Good point.

One of the options I'm considering is trying to get a used engine to put on. There's one I've found that's a -1-151G, which can easily get converted to a -151A. I could get it installed cheaper than I could likely do an HSI on this one, but it's a 10k TT engine. This engine is currently around 7k TT. One can argue whether that matters or not, but I suppose I just don't have a good feeling about this other engine.

It matters. Your gut feelings are taking care of you.

It matters. Your gut feelings are taking care of you.

Yeah, I've ruled that out as an option.

I also have ruled out one of the shops I was considering. So now I'm down to 2. Need to make another phone call and I think I'll be able to make a decision there.

Realized there was another shop still in the running, so I was at 4, now down to 3. :)

That article was really neat! Thanks for finding it @Pilawt !

If I had an MU2 I'd hang fake ordnance on the wings.

You must have some very generous donors. This is awesome you are able to do this.

I’d love to put the MT 5-bladed props on, but that’s less likely with this plane.

Th 5 bladed props look sick. I flew down with one of my students so his dad could pick up and do training in his MU2 a few years ago. That plane was beautiful

0f9sh8C.jpg

Th 5 bladed props look sick. I flew down with one of my students so his dad could pick up and do training in his MU2 a few years ago. That plane was beautiful

0f9sh8C.jpg
What did said dad do for a living? :D

I saw this years ago and thought it funny. Especially at 1:45 when she talks about how loud the MU-2 is.

Sounds like you’re close on picking a shop, just wondered if you checked Toledo Jet, Dave Corwin has been rebuilding 331’s for a long, long time.

What did said dad do for a living? :D
His dad is a corporate pilot. Former CAL and pilot for Liz Claiborne. I suspect his wife made them a majority of the money. She sells throws, sheets, bath towels, etc at major stores like Marshall’s, Macy’s, etc.

I saw this years ago and thought it funny. Especially at 1:45 when she talks about how loud the MU-2 is.

And you even have an extra 15 min of fuel when you land.

Sounds like you’re close on picking a shop, just wondered if you checked Toledo Jet, Dave Corwin has been rebuilding 331’s for a long, long time.

I spoke with Turbine Standard which is the engine side. I think they do good work but their out the door prices definitely seemed higher than what I've heard from other shops.

Went by the airport today and started cleaning out the plane, and making friends with it.

Fun facts about the plane:

- Climb speed is 160 KIAS
- The spoilers are a lot smaller than I thought they'd be - they're only about 2" long, but they go almost the entire length of the wing from the inboard side of the engine all the way to the tip tank on each side
- Look in the exhaust pipe of the engines and you can see the stage 3 turbine wheel
- The nose wheels are 5.00-5s. It uses two nose wheels
- It's got a generous interior baggage area (which will give me more room for dogs) behind the 3rd row seats
- It also has two generous baggage areas in the back. One is the full width of the plane and about 2 feet x 2 feet. The other one is tucked underneath the plane and rather oddly configured. But you've basically got room for anything you want to take along
- 6 tanks total. The tips hold 90 useable and you can't land with more than 65 in each of the tips, so you need to plan your fuel consumption accordingly. Also, max landing weight is ~500 lbs less than max gross weight. So you need to keep that in mind

Lots more to learn...

@Ted DuPuis When you gonna fix the video? :D It says unavailable still

Hmm, the Facebook video didn't integrate well apparently. Not sure why. And it's not letting me just put the link in...

Went by the airport today and started cleaning out the plane, and making friends with it.

Lots more to learn...
I can't imagine how painful it is to own it (not really, I know), have it in your hangar, and be unable to fly it.

I can't imagine how painful it is to own it (not really, I know), have it in your hangar, and be unable to fly it.

Honestly it doesn’t bother me a ton personally. I’m patient and I know I’ll get to fly it. I could do the training now but knowing I’ll have to do the hot section, I think it makes more sense to do the training and then jump into flying it.

What’s more bothersome is that it means downtime when we can’t do Cloud Nine missions, which is the plane’s job. But that is what it is, and realistically the downtime was going to be similar with the 414 if we kept it.

The downtime is still productive - getting the plane set up the way I want it, getting the hot section done, and maybe some Avionics Work to get it 2020 compliant.

Really I hope the 414 sells soon because we need that money to fund the HSI.

I still believe that your best call is to go ahead and repair the three cylinders on the 414, and sell it as a flying airplane (you might even fulfill a mission or two in the process).

Selling it needing the engine repair will be VERY tough.

I still believe that your best call is to go ahead and repair the three cylinders on the 414, and sell it as a flying airplane (you might even fulfill a mission or two in the process).

Agree with Spike on this.

:yeahthat:

Certainly there would be pluses to doing that, but also minuses. I’m getting a lot of response on the plane as-is.

Why an MU-2? Right time, right price? Deal you couldn’t refuse? Seems like there would be better options.

Back