Uh oh.

Saw that earlier today. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Wasn't there an issue with soldiers posting their pictures on facebook and then the enemy was able to locate their position off that?

From the article.

As for the fallout: Militaries are now considering whether and how they should ban their people from using this tech.

Seems like they would have thought of this before...

Yeah, voluntarily wearing a tracking device when you shouldn’t be wearing one is pretty dumb.

Yeah, voluntarily wearing a tracking device when you shouldn’t be wearing one is pretty dumb.

That and Alexa, google home, echo, etc., people are allowing listening devices into their homes.

Technology at its best. However people have been using exercise apps to share with their friends. Too much information.

This is, as they say, "a real and present danger".
Cell phones, tablets, etc are also a huge problem in\to the military.

That.

Not sure it's a policy problem as much as a maybe we should raise the bar on the ASVAB issue.

1984 is here, just a few years late. The funny thing is people are doing it to themselves...
esimties-ihe-government-will-wiretap-vour-home-azon-people-now-17834236.png

I am a shameless Strava user BTW. I find plotting my rides out on a map is useful, plus it's fun gloating about them on the Internet.

The majority of the article was sensationalized journalism. Outside of the Taiwan missile issue, the rest of that stuff isn’t exactly high on the DOD’s radar.

I used to run almost everyday in Iraq during the one of the most dangerous times to be there. Doesn’t matter if I had a tracker device or not, my actions and others are automatically predictable by virtue of being there. Soldiers doing PT isn’t some secret. They do in the open every day and anyone within viewing distance outside the base can easily see them. Both sides really don’t care.

Deployment schedules for divisions, carrier battle groups, MEUs, etc, are posted publicly weeks/months in advance. You can get a Navy, Marine, Army, AF Times and see where major deployed units are around the world at a glance. The enemy knows when and where we’re going and there is a significant paper trail before departure and after arrival that can identify individual servicemembers to that area. They don’t care.

Overseas aircraft operations alone are predictable. Just go on google maps and you can see military aircraft at airfields in combat zones. The enemy could sit outside an air base with some binos and a scanner and watch/listen to tower and CTAF traffic. I used to laugh when some guys would “sanitize” their uniforms prior to a mission. Heck, you’ve got an air base website that has articles in it that identify pilots by their name and rank already. No point in trying to hide it.

A little common sense needs to be used with opsec procedures. The majority of the stuff that can be obtained from PEDs is of no use to the enemy. No one is bringing a personal smart phone with them on some clandestine “Bin Laden” type raid. Even if they did, by the time the bad guys found out about it and deciphered it, it would be too late to be of use.

Last edited:
I used to run almost everyday in Iraq during the one of the most dangerous times to be there. Doesn’t matter if I had a tracker device or not, my actions and others are automatically predictable by virtue of being there. Soldiers doing PT isn’t some secret. They do in the open every day and anyone within viewing distance outside the base can easily see them. Both sides really don’t care.

I agree with most of your OPSec observations but the review of trending data can be use in determining troop patterns over time. i.e. To know when the highest concentration of troops is likely to occur during certain times of the day at a given location.

I agree with most of your OPSec observations but the review of trending data can be use in determining troop patterns over time. i.e. To know when the highest concentration of troops is likely to occur during certain times of the day at a given location.

That could be valuable but only if everyone at the location was using this app all the time. That way you would know exactly the strength numbers for that location. But with just a few people using it at random parts of the day, all the enemy would know is that there are people there. If the FOB, COP, etc is big enough to allow troops to go out on runs during the day, then the locals are already quite aware of the military presence in their backyard.

That could be valuable but only if everyone at the location was using this app all the time. That way you would know exactly the strength numbers for that location. But with just a few people using it at random parts of the day, all the enemy would know is that there are people there. If the FOB, COP, etc is big enough to allow troops to go out on runs during the day, then the locals are already quite aware of the military presence in their backyard.

True

Back