Flight training once per week

AirplanepilotJJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Airplanepilot501
Greetings airmen!
I’m a new member of PoA and a new student pilot.

Why do people think you have to take multiple lessons evey week or you’ll have to “relearn” topics and skills from the last lesson that you “forgot”.
My budget allows me to fly at least once per week with my flight school and instructor (both are great).

Shouldn’t good study skills and utilization of free online ground school (MzeroA, fly8MA, etc) help
mitigate Having to constantly refresh learnt flying skills?

Because muscle memory decays quickly when not reinforced. Watching YouTube videos is not a substitute for retaining stick and rudder skills. You can train less frequently and still be successful but it will take more training hours and money to do so.

Oh, and welcome to POA!

Because muscle memory decays quickly when not reinforced. Watching YouTube videos is not a substitute for retaining stick and rudder skills. You can train less frequently and still be successful but it will take more training hours and money to do so.

Oh, and welcome to POA!
This

I'm ~23 hrs in and missed 4 weeks in a row due to weather. Last week was my first time back and it was night landings...I was not pleased with my performance. Weekly is good, twice weekly is better but you have to be comfortable with the cost. With longer daylight hours coming soon, weekdays provide more options to make up for "no go" weather.

Greetings airmen!

Why do people think you have to take multiple lessons evey week or you’ll have to “relearn” topics and skills from the last lesson that you “forgot”.
My budget allows me to fly at least once per week with my flight school and instructor (both are great).

Shouldn’t good study skills and utilization of free online ground school (MzeroA, fly8MA, etc) help

How old are you? Once a week can work for some people. I have soloed once-a-weekers in the same number of hours as 2-or-3-times-a-weekers. The former were mostly high school aged. Younger students can get away with it more easily than older students simply due to the fact that they have better memory and they sometimes tend to have slightly better hand-eye coordination as well.

One of the biggest problems with a once-a-week plan is that between scheduling, weather, maintenance, catching a cold or whatever -- that that once a week turns into a couple times a month. Once per week really should be the minimum.

On a similar note, I believe that regardless of frequency, one of the most important things is to keep a steady rhythm. A person who is fortunate enough to have the time and money to fly every day might be thrown way off when they suddenly go a week without flying, versus a person who just flies once a week in the first place. Likewise, I've seen people make progress (slow progress, but progress) flying only every other week. But they always kept that same rhythm up. They didn't suddenly go a month or multiple months without flying.

Yes there are ways you can mitigate forgetting. Online ground schools are not enough because these focus on the written test, not skills involved in flying the airplane. Better is to study the Airplane Flying Handbook and keep a journal to write down what you do on each lesson. Replay and rehash each lesson in your mind with visualization/chair flying techniques and/or a simulator. These things all will help.

Most students who try to train once a week and then fail to meet their goals do not try the techniques I just described. They show up to a lesson, expect the instructor to feed them what they need to know, and then don't really think about flying again until their next lesson. Learning is a two-way street. If I ask a student what they did on their last flight, and they don't remember much, I am not impressed.

Last edited:
How old are you? Once a week can work for some people. I have soloed once-a-weekers in the same number of hours as 2-or-3-times-a-weekers. The former were mostly high school aged. Younger students can get away with it more easily than older students simply due to the fact that they have better memory and they sometimes tend to have slightly better hand-eye coordination as well.

One of the biggest problems with a once-a-week plan is that between scheduling, weather, maintenance, catching a cold or whatever -- that that once a week turns into a couple times a month. Once per week really should be the minimum.

On a similar note, I believe that regardless of frequency, one of the most important things is to keep a steady rhythm. A person who is fortunate enough to have the time and money to fly every day might be thrown way off when they suddenly go a week without flying, versus a person who just flies once a week in the first place. Likewise, I've seen people make progress (slow progress, but progress) flying only every other week. But they always kept that same rhythm up. They didn't suddenly go a month or multiple months without flying.

Yes there are ways you can mitigate forgetting. Online ground schools are not enough because these focus on the written test, not skills involved in flying the airplane. Better is to study the Airplane Flying Handbook and keep a journal to write down what you do on each lesson. Replay and rehash each lesson in your mind with visualization/chair flying techniques and/or a simulator. These things all will help.

Most students who try to train once a week and then fail to meet their goals do not try the techniques I just described. They show up to a lesson, expect the instructor to feed them what they need to know, and then don't really think about flying again until their next lesson. Learning is a two-way street. If I ask a student what they did on their last flight, and they don't remember much, I am not impressed.
I just turned 20. I did my discovery flight on my birthday.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely try them!

Greetings airmen!

Because it is true from my experience, and I've been a CFI since '78. I'm seeing now as the 3 students I have are once a week, and we have to repeat part of the previous lesson. Sure, some can handle once a week and progress nicely, but they're the exceptions.

@AirplanepilotJJ, Fear not. I trained in a PA-28 starting back in 1998, flying weekly with omissions for weather and the usual family obligations. I went for my checkride 13 months later at 75 hours. Just fly as often as you can, also as often as you can afford, and you will get there!

-Skip

Same here. 13 mos and 70ish hours. Mostly once a week. Sometimes a couple times, some times fewer due to cancellations. Was 49 when I got my ticket.

Welcome to POA!

In my experience the more you fly the less you go backward between lessons.

Once a week will work fine; it will just take a little longer and be a little more expensive than flying more often.

Don't underestimate the value of chair flying or practicing radio calls on the drive to work.

Sometimes I will have a client with a six week layoff fly better than his last lesson.

I wish you all the best on your aviation adventure.

JJ!!!!!!!!

sup

I used MzeroA, FlyM8A, etc. and a lot of other online resources to enhance my learning.
It does help keep you in the cockpit, so to speak...and helps learn and remember communications, procedures, etc., but like these fine pilots are saying, nothing is like the real thing for real flying.
I also agree that the more tightly spaced your lessons, the better.
You'll get there which ever way you choose, as long as you want to.
Enjoy it no matter what!

Last edited:
Save up enough to fly three times per week until you solo.

What N659HB said. Muscle memory is real. You can cram all the books and videos online but nothing compares to being hands on in the cockpit.

Because it’s true.

That.

After going through flight training myself, and CFIing a good bit, you see what works well and what doesn't.

Fly what your budget and schedule will allow. With my schedule, I get to fly every other week. I'm doing just fine. If it takes me a little longer, or costs a little more, oh well. I knew it wasn't a cheap hobby when I got into it, and I'm not about to back out and not learn to fly simply because my schedule/job/life won't allow 3 lessons per week, muscle memory be hanged. I've got a simulator rig for practicing in-between lessons. Learning to fly is awesome, regardless if it takes some longer than others to get their license.

Greetings airmen!

I passed my checkride with 48 hours logged flying less than once a week average. I flew once a week but missed occasionally due to life and weather. The last couple weeks I flew more than once a week to prep for the checkride.

It can be done. But, I did study and read about flying in my every spare moment while I was training.

What N659HB said. Muscle memory is real. You can cram all the books and videos online but nothing compares to being hands on in the cockpit.

I'll have to say I did not follow my own advice when getting my rating! But I did my best to fly once weekly and twice weekly whenever possible. I earned my SP at 28 hours. Prior to resuming training (25 or so years) I had 32 hours towards my PPL. Yeah. I quit that at the worst possible time. Still kicking myself!

I think multiple sessions per week are good, as it helps retain muscle memory, but I find it’s not feasible...even if I can get time away, each session costs $200 (plane and CFI), and that’s a bit too much to swing over the long term (even though it balances out in the end).

Greetings airmen!

Well not only that, the longer you take sometimes 'life' gets in the way. I took my first flying lesson on Feb. 17th, 1979, and didn't get my private until Dec. 31st, 2001. Yes, almost 23 years. I know that's an extreme example, but it is the reality for many people. After taking so long to do that I swore I'd train after that with accelerated courses, or at least having the money in such a way that I could fly as much as I could until I got a rating. So the next year, 2002, I did an accelerated IFR course and got the rating in 2 weeks. So there's more to consider than just 'forgetting' what you learned by flying once a week.

As far as your last statement, I agree it should definitely help. You can armchair fly every day, review that you did the last lesson, etc. Obviously nothing replaces actually flying the plane though. Just hang in there and get it done. If you can afford to fly more than once a week, I would do it.

Greetings airmen!

The answer is, YMMV. I was able to complete the cert in 60ish hours training 3 hours per month(My goal was every other week). I even had a medical delay thrown in the middle of that which put off my solo for a couple of months. I think that would be considered VERY low frequency, but it WAS doable. Some people training multiple lessons per week take more hours than I did to finish. Some finish just over the min required. Your mileage may vary. The suggestions you keep hearing is due to the fact that it will help to train more frequently. That doesn't mean it can't be done otherwise, just that it isn't necessarily the most beneficial way to train. Now, if you can only afford(in time or money) to do one per week, I say go for it. I would not suggest you wait and save your money until you have enough for x lessons per week. And if time is the constraint, then it may never happen.

Being well read and well prepared for each lesson goes a LONG way to reducing the amount of skill loss. You have plenty of time to study between lessons so it should make the knowledge portion easier in a way.

Good luck with your training.

You now have my 2 cents.

The answer is, YMMV. I was able to complete the cert in 60ish hours training 3 hours per month(My goal was every other week). I even had a medical delay thrown in the middle of that which put off my solo for a couple of months. I think that would be considered VERY low frequency, but it WAS doable. Some people training multiple lessons per week take more hours than I did to finish. Some finish just over the min required. Your mileage may vary. The suggestions you keep hearing is due to the fact that it will help to train more frequently. That doesn't mean it can't be done otherwise, just that it isn't necessarily the most beneficial way to train. Now, if you can only afford(in time or money) to do one per week, I say go for it. I would not suggest you wait and save your money until you have enough for x lessons per week. And if time is the constraint, then it may never happen.

Being well read and well prepared for each lesson goes a LONG way to reducing the amount of skill loss. You have plenty of time to study between lessons so it should make the knowledge portion easier in a way.

Good luck with your training.

You now have my 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm saving right now, and I also applied for the AOPA scholarship. I'll have my flight school recommend me.

One size does not fit all.

Becoming good at anything, be it flying, playing the guitar, writing, cooking, painting...you name it, requires practice. The more often and more regular you practice, the more quickly your skills improve. Also, the more structured your approach to your practice, the more quickly you improve. Some improve faster than others, due to natural talent, others take longer. But none of this really matters. All that matters is that you put your butt in the plane and fly. Once a week, once a month, whatever. Will it take longer to get your ticket flying once per week? Yes. Will it cost more if you fly only once per week vs two or three times per week? Possibly. (Historically, it usually does, but again, there's that "natural talent" aspect.)

If once a week is what you can afford, then that's what it is. The end result is what matters. And if you try to fly more often than you can afford to fly, you might end up quitting.

Do what's right for you.

When you learned to drive, did you constrain yourself by only practicing in the car for one hour per week until you reached proficiency in driving such that you could pass the driving test?

One can practice a thing without actually doing the thing. The Australian basketball free-throw study by Alan Richardson found that players that practiced only mentally improved almost as much as players who physically practiced every day -- 23% vs. 24% (a control group which didn't practice at all didn't improve at all).

One can practice a thing without actually doing the thing. The Australian basketball free-throw study by Alan Richardson found that players that practiced only mentally improved almost as much as players who physically practiced every day -- 23% vs. 24% (a control group which didn't practice at all didn't improve at all).
Armchair flying only goes so far.

It goes a lot farther than not doing it.
Sure, but it’s not a replacement for flying. You can’t expect to watch videos and read books about Aviation and then be a functional pilot without putting in the time behind the controls.

Sure, but it’s not a replacement for flying. You can’t expect to watch videos and read books about Aviation and then be a functional pilot without putting in the time behind the controls.

I'm not saying otherwise. Practice -- whether mental or physical -- used to improve your performance at a task is distinct from learning how to do it.

Becoming good at anything, be it flying, playing the guitar, writing, cooking, painting...you name it, requires practice. The more often and more regular you practice, the more quickly your skills improve. Also, the more structured your approach to your practice, the more quickly you improve. Some improve faster than others, due to natural talent, others take longer. But none of this really matters. All that matters is that you put your butt in the plane and fly. Once a week, once a month, whatever. Will it take longer to get your ticket flying once per week? Yes. Will it cost more if you fly only once per week vs two or three times per week? Possibly. (Historically, it usually does, but again, there's that "natural talent" aspect.)

If once a week is what you can afford, then that's what it is. The end result is what matters. And if you try to fly more often than you can afford to fly, you might end up quitting.

Do what's right for you.

Of course, different skills required, but I'm a guitarist (45+ years playing) but with guitar it's been so long, my training changes over time. I find in almost all training though for me, changing up helps a lot.

Even now if I am working on a very difficult song on guitar, I sometimes play the same part for hours, over and over..,it's not boring. But I can put the guitar down, next evening start again. Play through the whole song, then specific parts. But here is the thing, sometimes I make much better headway practicing more often for shorter time periods. It's the getting in the mindset, also not "practicing" but from the first note trying to play for real...

I also when I was first learning always had a guitar handy, would pick it up now and then, play, put it down, or pick it up and play all evening, playing also noodling and experimenting. Hard to have a plane and instructor handy like that, plus weather.

With aikido, I found just showing up three nights a week, work through the bad days enjoy the good, and plenty of reviewing in my mind between training helped (I even had a log book, with notes. Read through occasionally but the exercise of writing it down helped more than rereading. On rereading later in training the point I had were obvious now). But there they kinda stressed, once a week is maintenance, and you lose a little, three times is progress.

There is an excellent book by an author that trained in aikido about mastery. I'm not at home now so can't recall the name, but he talked a lot about the process, you hit a plateau (or you THINK you have) but you are really still progressing, but you notice it like you hop up a level. With guitar or aikido or any new learning students almost always make it harder than it is. Focus on the wrong things.

But with those things too, you have more consistency in the environment. That all landings are different, weather, etc, means learning to learn and keep open I think. I'm so new at flying I get worn out after an hours practice, but man...I recall a lot the whole time until next flight. Or did, I'm finally able to continue flying now. Weather is so bad around here, I'm gonna have to take any and all flight time I can, but shooting for at least twice a week when weather gets better. I don't mind if it ends up being once a week for a while, but do want to build up endurance, and also work on nausea which has hit me a few times.

Lots of good advice above.
One thing I would add: the best chair-flying is the one you do in the aircraft where you can play out all the maneuvers, procedures. Whenever my lesson was canceled due to wx, I would still go to the airport, get the book, sit inside the plane and pretend I was flying (yeah, occasionally even making the noises ;D
Good thing the ac was facing the runway, I could see all the IFR traffic, would turn on the avionics, listen to the chatter and pretend I was flying. (watch the time though, my CFI told me never run the avionics on battery for longer than 10-15 minutes.) (if this is not an option, use your smartphone, listen to liveatc.net and you can see what you hear)
Play with the instruments, look at all the nicks and scratches on the panel. Touch everything, call out its name, it's purpose, explain how it works. Get really intimate with the panel and the controls and when you do actual flying everything will feel and seem more natural!
Have fun :)

I went for the 3X week schedule for my PPL. I only made about 2/3rds of those flights I scheduled due to weather, etc. My instructor signed me off at 39.6 hours about 3.5 months later. I had to fly to meet the DPE .5 away on the hobbs the next day to make the 40. I won't say I'm a good pilot by far, but I was good enough to pass the checkride.

I'm pretty sure I could've done it in about the same time flying 1X weekly. However, I did have a lot of early flight simulator time when I was young - this is way back starting on an Apple IIe if anyone remembers those, but it still helped as I knew the basics. If I could only fly 1X weekly starting out, I'd probably invest the ~$300 in a simulator. It won't be exact, but it's better than armchair flying in my opinion and there are more options today which can add realism.

Also armchair flying seems to help me a lot.
But I am also no longer worried about picking up bad habits from using a flight sim also.

I haven't yet seen the exact layout of the new trainer I am flying, c172SP, will take a few photos when I get a lesson now. Generally hoping other than radio differences the main panels are the same as on the sim.

I can definitely practice checklists to get flow and fluency.
I'm aware of the things I don't know, I haven't flown a pattern yet, for real, and play around with the sim with the checklist Vspeeds but am clear I may have it wrong so it isn't getting to a habit.

My yoke is a joystick, twist it for rudder so that won't mess me up, and armchair and imagination for the visualization will help me. In between lessons.

Back