Gender Choices? [NA]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows? I certainly don’t. The OP didn’t state what the site was and as Everskyward stated, that might clear things up. Regardless, OP can choose to answer the question as he sees fit or not answer it.

I also do not care for many demographic questions that various organizations want answered but I know how to answer them without ridiculing the other options. And if my decision to not answer a question disqualifies me from participating then so be it.
We can all get along! By choosing not to participate you are participating and that is a wonderful thing. Would you care to have a brownie?

Well it is Boulder so they absolutely must be sensitive to the needs and wants of their website audience. Unless being sensitive offends them then they don’t have to be sensitive.
Or it could have been a joke by people aware of the stereotypical view of Boulder.

How can they discriminate against genders that they disapprove of and reward those that they do if they don't ask?

It's also a banner showing others where they stand.

Right. That way they don’t have to unveil their “Cis-Gender Males not Welcome” sign, but can still achieve the same effect.

The last time I went in for a physical, the nurse was asking the general questions, "Any changes since you last visit?"

Then she said, "We recognize all genders. Is there a particular gender with which you want to be identified?"

The last time I went in for a physical, the nurse was asking the general questions, "Any changes since you last visit?"

Then she said, "We recognize all genders. Is there a particular gender with which you want to be identified?"
I'd be very tempted to say, uh, I'm going to go find a doctor that knows how to tell what my gender is. Your "gender identity" is not relevant to a general practitioner.

if people have created new genders, have they also created new pronouns? what do we say instead of "look at him" or "look at her"? somewhat serious question, not that I care too much.

if people have created new genders, have they also created new pronouns? what do we say instead of "look at him" or "look at her"? somewhat serious question, not that I care too much.
I just use ‘it’ to cover those situations.

I'll have to get her the collar and service dog tag first, just make it seem like some kinky thing and she'll be cool, once she figures it's me trying to save $200 she get a little slappy lol

I really wish someone would do that just to point out the absurdity of it all.

Rich

I was registering on a website and had to enter my gender. Here were my choices (full disclosure: this was for an event in ultra left wing Boulder):
  • Male Outie
  • Female Innie
  • Transgender Bruce/Caitlyn
  • Gender-fluid (huh??) Use whichever line is shorter at the stadium
  • Non-binary (huh??) Seems like above
  • Prefer not to answer Cousin It
Now I'm confused....

See above

what

the

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUk

I can't believe Zeman's never heard of this...

As far as I'm concerned, there are two genders. Everything else is either a birth defect or a delusion.

That being said, I really don't give a rat's ass. If people want to play dress-up, it's really none of my business; so I don't care what they call themselves, how they dress, where they pee, or anything else they may do to indulge their delusions. None of it affects me in the least, so I couldn't care less.

What I do care about is when people try to force me to indulge their delusions. As far as I'm concerned, one's gender is defined by their chromosomes. If they want to believe otherwise, however, that is their absolute right. But it's also my absolute right to believe that they're delusional.

So basically, as long as they don't insist that I indulge their delusions, I won't insist that they confront their delusions. Makes life easy.

Rich

So basically, as long as they don't insist that I indulge their delusions, I won't insist that they confront their delusions. Makes life easy.
Oh, but it won’t be that easy. You not participating in their delusion points to the fact that it is in fact, a delusion. People get angry when that happens.

BTW, I believe that not participating in the delusions is now illegal in Canada. Or at least it’s headed that way.

Edit: Be careful with your attitude if you happen to travel north.

The law recognizes that everyone has the right to self-identify their gender and that “misgendering” is a form of discrimination.

As one human rights tribunal said: “Gender …may be the most significant factor in a person’s identity. It is intensely personal. In many respects how we look at ourselves and define who we are starts with our gender.”[1] The Tribunal found misgendering to be discriminatory in a case involving police, in part because the police used male pronouns despite the complainant’s self-identification as a trans woman.

Refusing to refer to a trans person by their chosen name and a personal pronoun that matches their gender identity, or purposely misgendering, will likely be discrimination when it takes place in a social area covered by the Code, including employment, housing and services like education. The law is otherwise unsettled as to whether someone can insist on any one gender-neutral pronoun in particular.

Our lawmakers and courts recognize the right to freedom of expression, and at the same time, that no right is absolute. Expression may be limited where, for example, it is hate speech under criminal law.

The Supreme Court has also found that some limits on free speech are justifiable to protect people from harassment and discrimination in social areas like employment and services.

Last edited:
I use "them" to refer to someone whose gender I don't know. Like on this site. I try not to assume they are male.

As far as the whole gender sensitivity thing, I confess to being insensitive. People have often referred to me by a male pronoun and I don't care.

Last edited:
I use "them" to refer to someone who's gender I don't know. Like on this site. I try not to assume they are male.

As far as the whole gender sensitivity thing, I confess to being insensitive. People have often referred to me by a male pronoun and I don't care.

yep, I mean, 'anonymous online poster' is not the same as "there is a, um, person, born with a penis, that is telling me they are not a 'him' ". ok, if you're not a him, what am I calling you?

I use "them" to refer to someone who's gender I don't know. Like on this site. I try not to assume they are male.

Must....not....post....inappropriate....response...

yep, I mean, 'anonymous online poster' is not the same as "there is a, um, person, born with a penis, that is telling me they are not a 'him' ". ok, if you're not a him, what am I calling you?
If they object to whatever you called them, ask what is appropriate. Seems simple.

I feel like that's exactly what I did in post #46.
Yeah, but you're expecting someone in this thread to answer. Ask the person directly if they don't like what you are calling them.

As far as I'm concerned, there are two genders. Everything else is either a birth defect or a delusion.

That being said, I really don't give a rat's ass. If people want to play dress-up, it's really none of my business; so I don't care what they call themselves, how they dress, where they pee, or anything else they may do to indulge their delusions. None of it affects me in the least, so I couldn't care less.

What I do care about is when people try to force me to indulge their delusions. As far as I'm concerned, one's gender is defined by their chromosomes. If they want to believe otherwise, however, that is their absolute right. But it's also my absolute right to believe that they're delusional.

Rich
Yes, could not say it better myself.

I'd be very tempted to say, uh, I'm going to go find a doctor that knows how to tell what my gender is. Your "gender identity" is not relevant to a general practitioner.
I thought about saying something smartass but the nurse couldn't even make eye contact with me when she was reading that question, so I already new how she felt about it. Not sure when or why this new policy went into effect, but it might be legal-department driven.

Somehow we blurred the difference between sex (male or female; you got one or you don't got one and if you got one you use this bathroom and if you don't got one you use that bathroom; and I know there are medical and physical exceptions) and gender (what do I feel like today).

Rich

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. It's a free country, people can live however they want and it's nobody else's business.

Seems like they want to take a lifestyle that's weird and force everyone to pretend it's not weird. They even came up with a word(cisgendered) to avoid having to use the term "normal" for everyone else. What I wish they'd do instead is take pride in their weirdness. If that's who you are, be proud of who you are... be proud of your weirdness. Need support? There's an online community for everything these days... I hear even pilots have them.

Just don't tell me how I'm supposed to feel about your lifestyle or the thing you're into because that implies that society at large gets a vote on whether or not what you do is allowed. Free Country- the whole point is that nobody should get to decide for you.

Why hasn't anyone made accommodation for the furries? Hey, fake animals are people too!

Rich

Yep exactly.......Anyone tries to cram their agenda down my throat, they get mine 10 fold right back crammed down theirs!

Yep exactly.......Anyone tries to cram their agenda down my throat, they get mine 10 fold right back crammed down theirs!
My agenda is to not have anything crammed anywhere. That doesn't seem to be possible these days.

My agenda is to not have anything crammed anywhere. That doesn't seem to be possible these days.
I think this is less of a problem than people think. Has anyone personally ever gone off on you for not using some of these new terms? I haven't, and I live in the center of the universe for them.

Bill and Monica already did that. No need to pile on.

I think this is less of a problem than people think. Has anyone personally ever gone off on you for not using some of these new terms? I haven't, and I live in the center of the universe for them.
I work at a large corporation. We get stuff like this crammed all the time. Special pronouns specifically hasn't happened. Yet.

Rich
At one time I was offended by transgender or crossdressing people who are disturbed by their gender identity. As a feminist, I believe that women are as good as men and men are as good as women, so whatever your gender, it should be indifferent to your life. I also hated those gay or otherwise "fem" men who are such exaggerated caricatures of females. However, after a stint working with the HIV/AIDS community, I've become ok with whatever anyone wants to be or to be called. Like you, I feel that many "trans..." are just unhappy people and I wish them the best.

Now, what I don't have any sympathy for are those who cannot leave people alone. Bullying, belittling, and harassing is a far greater sin than gender confusion.

Rich

Two thumbs up!

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. It's a free country, people can live however they want and it's nobody else's business.

Seems like they want to take a lifestyle that's weird and force everyone to pretend it's not weird. They even came up with a word(cisgendered) to avoid having to use the term "normal" for everyone else. What I wish they'd do instead is take pride in their weirdness. If that's who you are, be proud of who you are... be proud of your weirdness. Need support? There's an online community for everything these days... I hear even pilots have them.

Just don't tell me how I'm supposed to feel about your lifestyle or the thing you're into because that implies that society at large gets a vote on whether or not what you do is allowed. Free Country- the whole point is that nobody should get to decide for you.

And I'd give this two more thumbs up but I'm out of thumbs! I especially like your last sentence; "Free Country- the whole point is that nobody should get to decide for you." I sure wish all zealots would understand this. Here's my defense against the belief pushers:

whenever-people-try-to-push-their-religion-on-me-i-5717239.png
I always get a kick out of it when those who regularly push their belief system on others take offense when another group tries to mimic their tactics.

<har>

I remember when Boulder was just a community of hippie weirdos.
Sounds like they have all been taking steroids to get crazier.

Not really. My comment about having things crammed was not specific to pronouns. The word I used was "anything"
But we're talking about the pronouns here, not other "stuff" that is "stuffed".

Besides you are probably talking about the HR department of a corporation (ugh), not individuals.

Th OP didn’t state the type of event. Maybe that would clear it up. Personally, I don’t like demographic questions.
The registration was for a week long class, which probably doesn't need gender, but for some reason they are using active.com for registration, which is primarily a race (running, biking, etc) registration site, so I wasn't surprised to see the question since most races sort the results by age and gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back