G500 valuation as part of plane purchase

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
I'm looking at a plane that has a G500 and the rest of the avionics are of similar vintage. vRef has values for everything except the G500. What would you suggest as a value add for the G500?

I'm looking at a plane that has a G500 and the rest of the avionics are of similar vintage. vRef has values for everything except the G500. What would you suggest as a value add for the G500?
About half the retail for high end avionics...

New is around 15000 you got to have some tools just see how much it help you

About half the retail for high end avionics...

Sounds about right.

Also depends on the plane, and I'd wager that will be worth far less when the dynon skyview becomes certified and the flood gates are opened on that.

Sounds about right.

Also depends on the plane, and I'd wager that will be worth far less when the dynon skyview becomes certified and the flood gates are opened on that.

I don't think it's going to make much difference. If you are looking at a plane with a G500 already installed, the theoretical cost of putting in a Dynon is irrelevant. The Dynon install labor will be similar for similar capability, so it's only the cost of the box difference, and you aren't paying the full cost of the box for an already installed G500 (or any other upgraded avionics) now.

My observation is all this lower cost, transition from Experimental, stuff seems to have lots of compromises and limitations so far. Everything from interface issues to "it won't work with...".
The G500 is a well developed, robust, pretty complete piece of work. You get what you pay for. If you really want glass on the left and you can find the type with a G500 installed, I'd go for it, assuming all else withhe airplane is satisfactory.

Thanks for all the input. Aligns with what I was thinking. This is 20 year plane for me, so less interested in resale implications and more focused on how much to offer. When I run Vref it comes up with about a 20k gap to the asking price without the G500 (but with all the other avionics) so thinking about 10k for the G500 is about right.

Out of curiosity, would this airplane be located in Arlington, TX?

Mike - thanks for the link - Definitely comes up with a different number.

And "maybe" it's in Arlington..

Thanks for all the input. Aligns with what I was thinking. This is 20 year plane for me, so less interested in resale implications and more focused on how much to offer. When I run Vref it comes up with about a 20k gap to the asking price without the G500 (but with all the other avionics) so thinking about 10k for the G500 is about right.

Sounds like you might have a "doable" deal there. Also, it's rare a G500 is put in by itself. Usually there's other upgrades done at the same time, sometimes significant such as autopilot replacement.

It’s pretty much new everything. New GTN 650, 2nd nav/comm, engine monitor, s tec 30 with alt hold and GPSS adsb in and out and a PMA 8000bt.

Well I went for it and have a deal, pretty much aligned with the suggested 50% on avionics. Initial Prebuy is good with a couple issues that the seller will address on their nickel. Have a hangar lined up and will be moving into the XC, Night and Instrument part of training as I've done my basic solos. Good time to transition and will be with a CFI for the flight from Dallas to RYY so hopefully will be able to work out some left seat time and a few landings then some more familiarization flights with my home CFI. Pumped and scared at the same time.

Well I went for it and have a deal, pretty much aligned with the suggested 50% on avionics. Initial Prebuy is good with a couple issues that the seller will address on their nickel. Have a hangar lined up and will be moving into the XC, Night and Instrument part of training as I've done my basic solos. Good time to transition and will be with a CFI for the flight from Dallas to RYY so hopefully will be able to work out some left seat time and a few landings then some more familiarization flights with my home CFI. Pumped and scared at the same time.
Did I miss the aircraft type in the thread??

Piper Challenger. Was being a bit cagey as I lost a similar one as the good ones seem to go fast.

i know the feeling OP. i bought mine exactly at similar situation as yours.. well not exactly, cuz i wasnt even solo back then. the first XC to your home drone will give u a weird feeling .. like.. gosh what have i done:). it gets better from there.. i promise

Congrats! Yes, airplane acquisition is exciting and terrifying all at once.

You'll love flying with the G500. It's a wonderful unit.

Panel
888x600-images-aircraft-n55675-N55675_2A.jpg

When will you be in DFW to get it?

There is only two things to add to that airplane...

Me and Bryan Turner

That has the same Ultimate Arrow paint scheme as my old Arrow, I like it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wow. Absolutely beautiful Challenger! Enjoy!!!

When will you be in DFW to get it?
Not exactly sure yet. Couple things getting addressed this coming week. In a perfect world I'd get there late next week and fly back on the weekend. Likely won't know for sure til mid-week. There's a slim chance I might need to be there on business middle of the week, which would be a great coincidence.

I am only aware of three Cherokees with that paint scheme. Yours, my old one and an Arrow II I saw for sale about 6 years ago. Sadly the original Ultimate Arrow has been repainted in a dark and light grey scheme. The Challenger is a rare and very much sought after bird.

Before selling mine I was just about to pull the trigger on a G500 update. That makes a fine panel for sure. Have you downloaded the G500 training simulator? It is great for learning the system

Wow - that's a great looking airplane, inside and out. Congrats!

Sweet airplane and panel! Gorgeous! Stec 30 with GPSS and altitude hold. Gotta love that.

Is it all electric?

When did it become a Challenger? Looks like a warrior/cherokee to me...sorry those arent PC names anymore.

And i dont really care for the paint job

Sounds about right.

I doubt it. People are still going to want Garmin. And we have yet to see how the Skyview is going to pan out. I'd take a G500-oriented flight deck over the Skyview, no question. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sweet airplane and panel! Gorgeous! Stec 30 with GPSS and altitude hold. Gotta love that.

Is it all electric?

Thanks - not sure what you mean by "all electric"?

Good question. There’s still a conventional AI, so I’m guessing not. I’m buying sight unseen, so can’t say for sure. (But with a very thorough prebuy)

Good question. There’s still a conventional AI, so I’m guessing not. I’m buying sight unseen, so can’t say for sure. (But with a very thorough prebuy)

Yeah, I didn't know if that was an electric AI. Sweet airplane for sure though.

When did it become a Challenger? Looks like a warrior/cherokee to me...sorry those arent PC names anymore.

And i dont really care for the paint job
What colors do you have on your airplane?

Back