Last flight - weird ATC question

So if you "lie to a Federal Official" are you guilty of perjury?

Don’t know. Really not something I worry about.

Years ago while flying my radar avoiding, drug running aircraft (Velocity), I had a landing gear emergency and diverted to a different airfield in Florida. All I got was a call from the local ASI confirming my story. No scrutiny on my decision making or what my mission was that day.

Stories about how the FAA or DHS is out to get us, are either rare, or greatly exaggerated.

Additional recommended responses (especially for Mark):

1. Redirect from StratCom.
2. Prosecute target of opportunity.
3. Primary destroyed, switching to secondary.

A friend flying over TX in a Comanche asked to divert to (I think) Plainview and ATC asked why.

"We heard they have the best steaks in Texas."

A moment later United keyed up with 'We'd like to divert there too." :D

Planning a flight from Charlotte to Cleveland IFR, I routed myself almost all the way to DC to avoid weather. Once NEXRAD showed that the weather had died down to my comfort threshold, I requested a turn direct to my destination. ATC asked why the heck I had planned out there if I was just going to turn early. I explained the reasons for my plan and they said thanks. I always thought it was because my route looked super suspicious.

ATC: N3323Y, What's the reason for the diversion?

Me: "Sharted, N3323Y"

Not nearly the same but it is also common business jet pilots to try and game the system getting into the Colorado ski ares that have flow restrictions on them around Christmas by filing somewhere east of there and trying to change it to Vail or wherever in the air. From what I understand it is VERY rarely successful and you will get your hand verbally slapped for attempting to do so.

I know they have to ask it, but I have always wondered what are acceptable vs unacceptable answers....and what action they would take if you declined to answer.
I have said in the past something like 'I am told we need to go somewhere else' or 'the principals need to go to kabc now' and never got further probing.
Is it codified that we have to publicly broadcast a reason to change our destination or is it in the PCG or where?

Well as long as you don't say

"Habib said so"

Or

"al akhbar"

Or nothing

What action if you say something totally sketch ball? I'd say anything from just tracking and logging to sending PD/Feds to meet you, to F16s.

I've diverted and even changed my call sign mid flight, as long as your answer is in the realm of sensible it's all good

It's none of their business. Why is general aviation so under the eye? No wonder people don't file unless absolutely necessary.
I once heard ATC give an airliner the number to call DEN. The pilots sounded perturbed and didn't know what the heck DEN was. I didn't either, so I looked it up. It's the Domestic Events Network. They had been NORDO for quite a while. Of course we've also been NORDO for a while and have never been asked to call. In fact that was the only time I have heard instructions like that given to another airplane. This was a few years after 9/11, so not recent.

If there is no regulation, just wondering why we have to participate at all.
Seems like everything else we must do is written into FARs etc.

I once heard ATC give an airliner the number to call DEN. The pilots sounded perturbed and didn't know what the heck DEN was. I didn't either, so I looked it up. It's the Domestic Events Network. They had been NORDO for quite a while. Of course we've also been NORDO for a while and have never been asked to call. In fact that was the only time I have heard instructions like that given to another airplane. This was a few years after 9/11, so not recent.

Thank you!!!

I had no idea what "DEN" was. But because no one else asked, I figured that I was the only one. :oops:

If there is no regulation, just wondering why we have to participate at all.
Seems like everything else we must do is written into FARs etc.

You’re not participating in anything other than FF. It’s their requirement by FAA order to report.

Last edited:
My wife got real upset when I told ATC the reason for the diversion was my wife had to use the bathroom.
I was imagining it more this way:

ATC: Bugsmasher 34 bravo, state reason for change of destination.
34B: Original destination is home. I told my wife I was going to the strip club but she saw my truck parked at the airport and now I don't dare go back until she cools off.

DEN was something that came out of the aftermath of 9/11. During the events of 9/11, the multiple agencies involved had trouble communicating, and no one appeared to have a clear picture of what was going on. That is what ultimately led to the airspace being shutdown as they tried to sort out friend from foe. With DEN, there is now a common communication center where all agencies can be involved and be aware of trends. One GA plane diverting due to "physiological needs", not an issue. Multiple large aircraft taking sudden and unexpected side trips, gets someone's attention a little faster.

My wife got real upset when I told ATC the reason for the diversion was my wife had to use the bathroom.
Same here! :)
But hey, instead of horsing us around other arrivals, they gave us direct and altitude at discretion so we dove for it. Wife was piffed but definitely better than piffed! :D

Interesting. I was told (ca. 2012) by an ASI that it is required, period. In my case I was VFR on flight following, had an instrument glitch, made precautionary landing. Ended up being grilled by said ASI.
Good cautionary tale.

In the future: "Bathroom break."

A friend flying over TX in a Comanche asked to divert to (I think) Plainview and ATC asked why.

"We heard they have the best steaks in Texas."

A moment later United keyed up with 'We'd like to divert there too." :D
You should submit that to IFR magazine for their "On the Air" page!

Back