Albuquerque Balloon Festival - best GA airport to use?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'll be headed to the ABQ Balloon Festival for the first time this year, October 11-14. Looks like the big airport ABQ and Double Eagle AEG are closest to the event, and down I-25 you'll find Mid Valley (E98) and Alexander / Belen (E80).

Any suggestions on best airport to use, and why?

I've flown into ABQ several times and always had a good experience with Cutter there. Never landed at the others you mentioned.

I’ve been to AEG a couple times and we used Bode, with good experiences. I received some dual in a T310 out of AEG a few years ago...good times!

The Balloon Fest is a sight to behold, you’re going to love it! Be sure to stop in and grab some grub at one of the local authentic Mexican restaurants there, too! I recommend Casa de Benavidez. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sunport. Hands down.

Or, if you don't want to deal with the cost, 0E0. It's a bit more of a drive (but not too much worse than KAEG), but much cheaper and friendlier service. Also easy in and out.

When I go to Albuquerque to visit family, it's usually 0E0 or KABQ. Haven't been to KAEG in almost 10 years

I remember taking my 150 to Coronado before they closed it, and walking to the balloon festival. Everyone stayed up late, partying around balloons, some 'balloon glows' going on, then someone set off in a helium balloon for a record attempt across the US. I slept on the ground around the balloonists and before sunup watched everyone blast off. Such a great time. Hope you have fun Troy.

Cutter at ABQ is always a good bet. As suggested, make hotel and car reservations early. I think the best day to go to the festival is on the Wednesday. Not nearly as crowded as on the weekend, and you get to see a morning mass ascension. Weekend road traffic can be awful.
Also consider flying in Santa Fe and use the Jet Center. Only about a 45 minute ride from SAF airport to the park.

Jon

I remember taking my 150 to Coronado before they closed it, and walking to the balloon festival. Everyone stayed up late, partying around balloons, some 'balloon glows' going on, then someone set off in a helium balloon for a record attempt across the US. I slept on the ground around the balloonists and before sunup watched everyone blast off. Such a great time. Hope you have fun Troy.
I wish Coronado was open when I was there (hell I wish it was open now). Freaking Sandia tribe pulled a Meigs on that one.

Everyone will say 'Go early', Troy, but keep in mind everyone is getting - and following - that advice!
I went with a (slow moving) group one year & after makeup and other nonsense in the hotel rooms, despite getting there at sunup, we arrived just in time to face a huge crowd making a mass exit of the field - we missed most of the liftoffs and were crushed by the throngs going the other way. Point being, some research and preparation to be there well in advance might be a good idea. I seem to recall, from a prior visit, balloonists getting things going at 4:00am.
But that is only 5:00am for you!

Everyone will say 'Go early', Troy, but keep in mind everyone is getting - and following - that advice!
I went with a (slow moving) group one year & after makeup and other nonsense in the hotel rooms, despite getting there at sunup, we arrived just in time to face a huge crowd making a mass exit of the field - we missed most of the liftoffs and were crushed by the throngs going the other way. Point being, some research and preparation to be there well in advance might be a good idea. I seem to recall, from a prior visit, balloonists getting things going at 4:00am.
But that is only 5:00am for you!
This is true i25 backups start around 4am from both directions. If you do it right you will be at the park just before dawn patrol, leaving about an hour until the first inkling of light speed over the Sandia Mountains.

Another thing to keep in mind if you're more interested in the special shapes. The Special Shapes Rodeos where only the special shapes go up do not happen on mass ascension days, they are usually weekdays and traffic is much lighter. The Special Shapes Glowdeo is always on Thursday (and another day as well, but Thursday seems to be the biggest) and starts just before darkfall. It is usually the second biggest crowd behind the mass ascension days.

Get a breakfast burrito from one of the places right by the port-o-potties as they are always the best.

One of the cool things that most people don't do, but should, is swing by the manufacturer tents. You can sometimes score an LTA demo flight if they think it will persuade you to buy a balloon and you already have a pilot certificate. Even if you don't score a ride, you can probably get some unique souvenirs there.

The TFR always has some dumbass busts. Don't be a statistic.

Lastly, prepare for cancellations. The winds only need to climb to about 7or 8 knots to cause the zebras to call off the lift. Any low clouds will do it too (you know, VFR requirements and all). It's been a couple of years for me, but last time I went all but one of the mass ascension days was canceled.

No. Hotel next to the Festival park and ride. And Uber.

There is a park and ride at the Coronado Mall by uptown. Quite a few hotels there and since it's a bit of a hike from the Fiesta Park, they don't fill up as fast (still fast, but not quite as fast as the ones by the park).

There is a park and ride at the Coronado Mall by uptown. Quite a few hotels there and since it's a bit of a hike from the Fiesta Park, they don't fill up as fast (still fast, but not quite as fast as the ones by the park).

We will be at the Holiday Inn Express at North I-25.

Just a comment that E98 is only good for gas. They do have a portapotty so I guess technically it qualifies for a pee stop.

It is cheap gas...

I'll be headed to the ABQ Balloon Festival for the first time this year, October 11-14. Looks like the big airport ABQ and Double Eagle AEG are closest to the event, and down I-25 you'll find Mid Valley (E98) and Alexander / Belen (E80).

Any suggestions on best airport to use, and why?
been to Double Eagle....and they were a pleasure to deal with. Got us a room and car and serviced my Ox bottle...fuel...it was all good and reasonably priced.

Double Eagle and be sure to eat at the diner. The chef there used to be Ted Turner's personal chef. I had the pork chop and gravy sandwich when I was there. My arteries are just now thinning back out.

You’re staying close by the fiesta so no worries.

As for where to fly in, I’d lean ABQ since you are Ubering. Second would be AEG. Check rates for both.

Mid valley is good for fuel and practicing tiny runways. No other services I don’t think.

I’m trying out of ABQ at Del Sol and get in to Cutter on occasion. It’s a nice facility and everyone is friendly.

Maybe if a few POAers end up in town for it we can plan a small meet up.

If you're flying KAEG with FF, be prepared for a bad hand off to KAEG (if any). Been there several times, got trainees each time and had one issue or another with the KAEG controllers.

Last time there was fairly smooth using experience from the previous 5 trips:

1. Cancelled flight following early
2. Delay vectored myself west of the airspace and listened on radio until tower sounded like they had a lighter load and things under control.

I've been to Cutter at ABQ and Double Eagle once each.

Flew the family in for the 2006 Balloon Festival in my 182, used Cutter. I was told on final approach by tower to "maintain maximum forward speed" because a SWA 737 was on my ass. ABQ was busy that day.

My wife and I flew into Double Eagle in my LSA in 2015. It was a pretty laid-back airport.

Another vote for Cutter at ABQ. Cutter is pretty much the Wilson Air of the West.

To be clear, people calling it the Balloon Festival sound like people calling Airventure "Air Adventure" or Oshkosh "My Gosh."

Fiesta == Party, not festival.

I just call it "that time of year when our city gets overrun with people, traffic goes crazy, and the tourists like to stop on the side of the road (or IN the road) to look at balloons"

but Balloon Fiesta is a little shorter :D

Back