Install cost GFC 500 for C182 - anyone done it?

Stallhorn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stallhorn
All,

Just got two Garmin G5s installed in our 182 and loving it to far. Here is a list of things we installed in 2017:
Garmin GNS 430 WAAS
Garmin GMA 345 with bluetooth connectivity for phone and music streaming.
Garmin GTX 345 - ADS-B, traffic and weather display on 430 and on Foreflight via bluetooth.
Garmin G5 Attitude Indicator
Garmin G5 HSI
Garmin GNC 255 secondary radio
EDM 850 engine monitor with fuel totalizer

The only thing left is the GFC 500 to complete this airplane!

I didn't get a formal quote yet, but I am thinking anywhere between $12 - $15k. Has anyone done this?

It is going to be a complete Garmin stack. Everything is well integrated and plays nicely together.

I am not exactly fond of big huge companies, I am more for the underdog. I still use Linux for a lot of my daily computing even though Mac has taken over some of it in the past few years. But with safety in mind and how the Garmin products play well together, I am convinced this is the way to go.

If you find yourself somewhere in Maryland/DC/Northern Virginia, let me know and I will take you up for a ride in the 182!

www.flyingclub.info

Shawn

My avionics shop is telling me, 25 hrs per servo + whatever it takes to panel mount the controller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5QK
Why did you not go with gtn 650
Sorry, I mis-stated. The 430 and the EDM850 were installed a few years ago before the GTN was available. Everything else was in 2017.

I agree. Garmin is the way to go. Good choice.

I did not mean that the 430 was not great but I am getting closed to redoing my 182 p I am wanting the 750 but do not no about room will have to put second some were strange

All,

The only thing left is the GFC 500 to complete this airplane!

I didn't get a formal quote yet, but I am thinking anywhere between $12 - $15k. Has anyone done this?

Shawn

I just put on in a 172. First field install I believe (we're a Garmin Dealer). The aircraft already had dual G5's and the GAD29 so it was just the AP install. The kit was very complete except you'll need either a SONEX tone generator or have an audio panel that can take a non switched input. You'll also have to purchase a suitable go around button and fabricate the yoke disconnect switch. The cable runs were pretty straight forward. The roll servo went in without a hitch but the pitch servo was a bit of a chore. For our first install, it took about 55 hours but the next one will be much faster. There is a bit of a learning curve for this kit and if any aircraft rigging issues are found, be ready to spend some time/money on that.

But here's the punchline: The autopilot function is flawless. It's way more capable, smoother and more intuitive to use than I expected. No qualms at all about recommending this system over any of the more traditional certified pilots. I'm flying some research flights with the FAA aircraft cert folks in the aircraft right now and they're all impressed too.

Regards

I just put on in a 172. First field install I believe (we're a Garmin Dealer). The aircraft already had dual G5's and the GAD29 so it was just the AP install. The kit was very complete except you'll need either a SONEX tone generator or have an audio panel that can take a non switched input. You'll also have to purchase a suitable go around button and fabricate the yoke disconnect switch. The cable runs were pretty straight forward. The roll servo went in without a hitch but the pitch servo was a bit of a chore. For our first install, it took about 55 hours but the next one will be much faster. There is a bit of a learning curve for this kit and if any aircraft rigging issues are found, be ready to spend some time/money on that.

But here's the punchline: The autopilot function is flawless. It's way more capable, smoother and more intuitive to use than I expected. No qualms at all about recommending this system over any of the more traditional certified pilots. I'm flying some research flights with the FAA aircraft cert folks in the aircraft right now and they're all impressed too.

Regards

What exactly was the pitch servo issue? Difficult access? Mounting? Calibration?

What exactly was the pitch servo issue? Difficult access? Mounting? Calibration?

Access, mounting and positioning. All of these planes were hand built and that long cable run back to the tail amplifies any little difference in cable position.

But I think the biggest problem was gaining access. Our sheet metal guy had to remove and reinstall some of tre baggage compartment structure that was riveted in place. But check the install drawings for the 182, I think the rol servo is the same but the pitch may be located further forward than the 172 kit. In the 172 it’s at station 175 which is almost to the horizontal stab. WAy back of a long tunnel.

Excellent to hear this. Our 182 is getting the GFC 500 installed at a Garmin dealer as we speak. Can't wait for it to come out on Tuesday next week.

I would love to read the installation manual, but can't find it anywhere. Would you happen to have a link or something?

Back