Plane Crash In Bonita Springs, FL (1/22/18) (Daniel Bernath / aka danielabernath)

I'm going to go with "pilot error" on this one.

Too soon?
Too soon. Very little information released yet. there is some very interesting information derived from the crash site that has not been released yet. This, combined with the mayday call points to something else. I just talked to a first responder a few minutes ago and he described the crash site, it tells me which direction the ntsb will first look.

Bob

This creep was heading to my home airport, KIMM, Immokalee. I was there all day working on my airplane. Glad I missed him. I think I've seen him there before, always have strangers visiting while I'm trying to work. Not much happening here besides the future Air India pilots from Tamiami shooting approaches.

Odd first post. An fatal accident and a vague reference to someone from a few years ago on POA. Maybe a regular or former POA member with an agenda hiding behind another ID.
Perhaps someone who likes to ascend and descend...;)

Many years ago where I am from in Texas there was a disbarred lawyer that owned a lot of rental property. He told the manager to start taking Tvs out of the apartments of the people that were late on rent.

The manager refused, so the former lawyer pulled a gun and demanded that the manager start doing as he said. A strong verbal argument started, and was ended by the manager pulling his gun and killing the former lawyer.

The grand jury no billed the manager. The rumor was that the grand jury was instructed to no bill the guy because the judges were glad to see the former lawyer "get what he deserved".

The former lawyers family filed a wrongful death suit. It was rumored that it was thrown out for the same reason.

Well didn’t they find some Mad Max and playboy’s in wreckage ?

Someone mentioned ATC recordings of events leading up to the accident. Has anyone stumbled upon those?

And weirdly, over on the Vans Air Force forum, the mods locked a thread on the accident after only 10 rather innocuous posts. I just started a thead there linking to the “.99 Heads Up Display” discussion on SportPilotTalk - I truly feel there are lessons to be learned from it. We’ll see if it gets locked or deleted. If so, that’s some pretty heavy-handed moderation.

And weirdly, over on the Vans Air Force forum, the mods locked a thread on the accident after only 10 rather innocuous posts. I just started a thead there linking to the “.99 Heads Up Display” discussion on SportPilotTalk - I truly feel there are lessons to be learned from it. We’ll see if it gets locked or deleted. If so, that’s some pretty heavy-handed moderation.

Not surprising. That's the main reason I don't frequent the Van's Air Force Forum anymore, over moderation and a Pollyanna attitude.

Someone mentioned ATC recordings of events leading up to the accident. Has anyone stumbled upon those?

Given the litigation happy nature of this family maybe they're nipping things in the bud?

My “Daniel Bernath - lessons to be learned?” thread just got locked as well.

Good example of over-moderation in my book.

Everybody ought to hang out where they are comfortable. I like and subscribe to VAF.

Not surprising. That's the main reason I don't frequent the Van's Air Force Forum anymore, over moderation and a Pollyanna attitude.

Doug does not like any discussion of accidents on vaf. I don't agree with him, but it's his page. I believe that as long as the discussion remains civil, and factual, I think it acts as a learning experience. This crash has a interesting factor given the pilots history. Given that history, people are jumping to conclusions about a cause. There are a lot of unknowns. The wreckage field may hold some vital information.

Bob

That is a horribly written article. I’m still trying to figure out what “intense machinery” refers to.

I believe it refers to the dozer FL forestry brought in to cut a road to the wreckage.

What’s that saying in the investment world?

Past performance is not indicative of future results.

But it’s hard to rule it out.

How does a guy with clear mental issues keep a medical? Somebody at the FAA had to have been aware of this guy.

I just started reading this thread and following the links. If somebody wrote it up as fiction, nobody would believe it.

Given that history, people are jumping to conclusions about a cause. There are a lot of unknowns. The wreckage field may hold some vital information.

Bob

All true. My prior flip comment aside, I will say that it would not shock me if this is ultimately a pilot error situation.

How does a guy with clear mental issues keep a medical? Somebody at the FAA had to have been aware of this guy.

Sport pilot, no medical. All he had to do was act like a sane human being long enough for training and the checkride, and for his BFRs.

Said he was getting 90 % disability from the VA for PTSD. Like the rest of his Navy background, hard to tell if that was fact or fiction.

I'd err in the side of BS with anything that guy said.

Also if we were paying his disability, after his actions, I want my money back.

The local press here in Naples/Ft Myers is not treating this guy kindly. They have reported that ATC at Page Field was arguing with him, he was insisting that he wanted a 8,000 ft clearance to go 30 miles to KIMM. Sounds like his brain was failing.

From http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/01/vans-rv-12-n262ws-world-adventure.html ,

"He was arrested in Virginia Dec. 2016 on multiple charges of stalking and violating a protective order.

Online records show Bernath pleaded guilty to two of those charges just last week, on Jan. 19th. He was sentenced to one year in jail and two years probation
. "
Who knows what he was thinking? I still haven't found the ATC recording; that might shed a little insight. Tox report might also be informative.

Very very weird story all around....

I quit VAF, the administrator is a moron and if you want bad info from self proclaimed "experts" that's the place to be. Rivet Bangers is a better RV site.

The local press here in Naples/Ft Myers is not treating this guy kindly. They have reported that ATC at Page Field was arguing with him, he was insisting that he wanted a 8,000 ft clearance to go 30 miles to KIMM. Sounds like his brain was failing.

Which makes zero sense. Apart from the 30 miles, 8000 is an IFR altitude, and he was a VFR-only sport pilot. Also, he would have been on an east heading, and 8000 would be a westerly altitude.

Too soon. Very little information released yet. there is some very interesting information derived from the crash site that has not been released yet. This, combined with the mayday call points to something else. I just talked to a first responder a few minutes ago and he described the crash site, it tells me which direction the ntsb will first look.

Bob
Well, please don't tell us what you know.

Facts have no place in our lives anymore. Truth is dangerous and must be disposed of as quickly as possible. Lawyers rule. Bow to our overlords.
Boy, am I glad to live in such a place where lawyers dictate what facts are.
The info on this crash was apparently consolidated on a page with the info from his other crash.

question, what is the gross weight of the average rv12? is it under the required 1320 lbs ?

Back