What is a CFI?

That.

Also a great way to loose business.
If I went into a school to do some work with an instructor and they went off into the semantics of CFI or BFR they'd be getting a "thanks for your time, bye".

E6B628F2-2FB7-4FE9-94C3-F88DFC9FBB43.jpeg

It's simple.

CFI is an abbreviation for "authorized instructor"
BFR is an abbreviation for "Flight Review"
FAR is an abbreviation for "Code of Federal Regulations, Title 14 Aeronautics and Space"

A forward slip is when you are flying sideways down final.
A side slip is when you are flying straight forward towards the runway

A non-movement area is where you can move without restriction.
A movement area is where there are restrictions on movement.

A near-miss is when you almost hit something.

Tarmac is airport pavement that is not made using the Tarmac process.

Last edited:
You might be getting somewhere.

They are assuring that they have met the required qualifications, including the Airman Certification Standards.

Airman Certification Standards.

certification
1: the act of certifying : the state of being certified
2: a certified statement

The ACS hasn’t existed for any of my checkrides.

:stirpot:

:)

;)

They will for your future rides I betcha! :ihih::lol:

Technically no, and yes. Haha.

No, because unless they get an ACS done for ATP and I do that “someday”, I’ll be done with the CFI and CFII rides before they get the CFI ACS done.

ATP is fairly unlikely in my plans but who knows. Meanwhile I’m in the last “generation” of PTS trained pilots. :) :) :)

Yes, because doing the CFI right now is an utter pain in the butt because you’re simulating TEACHING someone to the ACS standard, not the PTS standard.

Between the test standards updates, the Advisory Circular updates, and the stupid Chief Counsel letters that have NO table of contents or any way to find them on specific topics... I’m amazed we just don’t get smartphone text messages daily with “new rules!”

Okay ... actually, you CAN get that. I lied. Haha.

I signed up for alerts on ALL FAA rule changes last year and sort them straight into a folder on my GMail just to see how insane it is. There’s three pages of email alerts in December alone.

And then there’s fun stuff like this... AC 91-67 used to be a great reference for Part 91 MEL and airworthiness stuff. Way easier walking a student through it than working through all the scattered regs. One of the local DPEs liked to point It out to CFI candidates who’d have a notecard full of regs for airworthiness if something was broken on an aircraft.

“Is this thing legal to fly?” Follow the flowchart on this AC, boom... done. Nice.

Then AFS-820 noticed that since it was first published in 1991 it didn’t meet current ICAO standards. So they’ll fix it, right?

Kinda.

They published a cancellation.

And in the cancellation it says it’s not up to the ICAO world, and they’re “working on an update”.

No estimate on when we’ll see that update, it’s just “cancelled indefinitely”.

LOL.

Not complaining. I’ll teach to whatever moving target FAA wishes to provide, and more. It’s just entertaining to watch the stuff change so fast that they can’t even keep up with it.

This standard, no wait, this standard, no wait, cancel that! We’ll get back to you. Okay, now this standard...

I doubt in the modern internet age this cycle will ever stop.

Standards are great, which revision do you have? Yesterday’s or today’s?

Technically no, and yes. Haha.

No, because unless they get an ACS done for ATP and I do that “someday”, I’ll be done with the CFI and CFII rides before they get the CFI ACS done.

ATP is fairly unlikely in my plans but who knows. Meanwhile I’m in the last “generation” of PTS trained pilots. :) :) :)

Yes, because doing the CFI right now is an utter pain in the butt because you’re simulating TEACHING someone to the ACS standard, not the PTS standard.

Between the test standards updates, the Advisory Circular updates, and the stupid Chief Counsel letters that have NO table of contents or any way to find them on specific topics... I’m amazed we just don’t get smartphone text messages daily with “new rules!”

Okay ... actually, you CAN get that. I lied. Haha.

I signed up for alerts on ALL FAA rule changes last year and sort them straight into a folder on my GMail just to see how insane it is. There’s three pages of email alerts in December alone.

And then there’s fun stuff like this... AC 91-67 used to be a great reference for Part 91 MEL and airworthiness stuff. Way easier walking a student through it than working through all the scattered regs. One of the local DPEs liked to point It out to CFI candidates who’d have a notecard full of regs for airworthiness if something was broken on an aircraft.

“Is this thing legal to fly?” Follow the flowchart on this AC, boom... done. Nice.

Then AFS-820 noticed that since it was first published in 1991 it didn’t meet current ICAO standards. So they’ll fix it, right?

Kinda.

They published a cancellation.

And in the cancellation it says it’s not up to the ICAO world, and they’re “working on an update”.

No estimate on when we’ll see that update, it’s just “cancelled indefinitely”.

LOL.

Not complaining. I’ll teach to whatever moving target FAA wishes to provide, and more. It’s just entertaining to watch the stuff change so fast that they can’t even keep up with it.

This standard, no wait, this standard, no wait, cancel that! We’ll get back to you. Okay, now this standard...

I doubt in the modern internet age this cycle will ever stop.

Standards are great, which revision do you have? Yesterday’s or today’s?

Still sucks having to teach the students to be safe and good pilots (stalls, slow flight, slips etc) then having to teach them for "the test".

Still sucks having to teach the students to be safe and good pilots (stalls, slow flight, slips etc) then having to teach them for "the test".

Yeah I hear ya. There’s even now inconsistencies between the Private and Commercial ACS on the topic, too. My CFI and I were doing some stare-and-compare between them today.

Real fun is simulating teaching with another CFI in my STOL equipped 182. Talk the “student” through the normal setup for a reduced power, power on stall... and hear the “student” complain that they ran out of elevator and it won’t stall. All the “student” can do is get the stall fences to start ringing. :)

(Go to full power and you’re going to end up so nose high at the mush — explanation: it doesn’t really “break”, the nose just drops and it’s flying again, and the nose starts back up — and it’s going to push being an aerobatic maneuver because the nose is so high in the air. Let alone the heating of the engine with no freaking air flow through the cowl...)

It would NOT be a good airplane to teach a primary student in. They’d get all sorts of wrong ideas about stalls from it. ;)

Well, the FAA certifies that a certain pilot is capable of teaching how to fly. So he becomes a Certified Flight Instructor.
Then, months and months later, he receives a certificate in the mail which changes his title to a Certificated Flight Instructor.
So both are valid but the second one is valid longer. :)

Its 'lose'. not 'loose'...
I was starting to wonder if it’s intentional, like an inside joke thing. POA posters get it wrong more than anywhere else I’ve seen on the internet. I’ve given up pointing it out.

Yeah I hear ya. There’s even now inconsistencies between the Private and Commercial ACS on the topic, too.

Well, consider this: Sport Pilot still follows PTS, which means that Sport instruction still requires slow flight to be done at minimum controllable airspeed with the stall horn going off. For Private, the ACS requires slow flight to be done at a high enough speed that the stall horn does not sound.

So Sport Pilots are being held to a higher and more demanding standard than the (supposedly) higher Private certificate.

Hey you dang woodchucks! Stop chucking my wood!”

Geico.

Reminds me of a guy I was buying a commercial lawn mower from. Told me he sold off 1/2 of his property and to separate the properly line he planted a row of trees. One morning looking out his window he notice the trees had all been cut down, He was about to got chew out his neighbor for cutting down his trees when noticed they had all been chewed in to two instead of sawed. I bit of investigation yielded the result, the Beavers from the nearby stream had cut them all down.

Back