I guess sometimes, you can go back...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I tribute many things to my love of aviation: as a kid, my dad would take me on trips to the airport, or encourage me to read books about Bob Stanford Tuck, Jonnie Johnson, Douglas Bader, and the like. Or, I was encouraged by my next door neighbor, that loved aviation, and gave me an old copy of "What Every Pilot Must Know" (I think...called something like that...FAA book from the early 1970s). Or my friends and I building balsa/tissue gliders and then having contests to see who could fly them the farthest.
But I think the very start of my love for aviation could be traced to a Christmas gift my mom got me when I was about 8 years old...a cheap little aviation radio kit from Radio Shack. I don't know why but about 3 years ago, I decided to try to get another one, preferably unbuilt, just as a novelty. What started as a lark of an idea turned into somewhat of an obsession, as I would check Ebay nearly every single day for search terms such as "28-244" (that I learned was the kit's model number), "science fair aviation", or "radio shack airplane".
About a year ago, I came home from a trip after not searching for 3 or 4 days...I actually found one on Ebay with 3 auction days left, and it was new/unbuilt! The going bid was only like $15, so in order to make sure I got it, I bid $250 (crazy, right?). Well, believe it or not, I was outbid by a snipe bid in the final 3 seconds. I guess I wasn't alone trying to find one of these.
Well 2 weeks ago, another one appeared on Ebay, again brand new/unbuilt. This time, I was the snipe bidder, and I WON! And to top it off, I got it for $40! If only the seller had known what my top bid amount was, he would choke! It was sold by a guy in Canada, and it even has French on the box as well as English. It came in the mail this past weekend, with the original radio shack cellophane and $4.50 price sticker, from probably 1975!
So tonight, I built the thing, knowing full well that I was destroying it's value to anyone but myself. And (drum roll please) IT WORKS! It actually works very well, and I spent an hour listening to some commercial airline guys calling Cleveland Center.
I'll include a pic...now I'm thinking (after a break) I'll order some balsa kits...
upload_2018-1-23_20-50-8.png

I got one for Christmas when I was a kid, except it was a police radio receiver. Looked very similar to yours, minus the airplane.

I had one of those. Later I got an amplifier kit so I wouldn't have to use the earphone and put the whole thing into a box with a collapsible antenna. I think I still have it around somewhere.

The tuning was so unselective I think you could hear anything within about a 5mhz spread from where it was set.

Congratulations!

I know the feeling, though my formative years were spent building Heathkits.

It does feel like something has been lost, doesn’t it?
I loved the heathkits too. I built a few of those.

Cool find! Is that an F8 Crusader in the lower right corner?

I had one of those. Later I got an amplifier kit so I wouldn't have to use the earphone and put the whole thing into a box with a collapsible antenna. I think I still have it around somewhere.

The tuning was so unselective I think you could hear anything within about a 5mhz spread from where it was set.
Sounds like my first airplane radio - coffee grinder pre-whistle stop Narco VHT 2.

I tribute many things to my love of aviation: as a kid, my dad would take me on trips to the airport, or encourage me to read books about Bob Stanford Tuck, Jonnie Johnson, Douglas Bader, and the like. Or, I was encouraged by my next door neighbor, that loved aviation, and gave me an old copy of "What Every Pilot Must Know" (I think...called something like that...FAA book from the early 1970s). Or my friends and I building balsa/tissue gliders and then having contests to see who could fly them the farthest.
But I think the very start of my love for aviation could be traced to a Christmas gift my mom got me when I was about 8 years old...a cheap little aviation radio kit from Radio Shack. I don't know why but about 3 years ago, I decided to try to get another one, preferably unbuilt, just as a novelty. What started as a lark of an idea turned into somewhat of an obsession, as I would check Ebay nearly every single day for search terms such as "28-244" (that I learned was the kit's model number), "science fair aviation", or "radio shack airplane".
About a year ago, I came home from a trip after not searching for 3 or 4 days...I actually found one on Ebay with 3 auction days left, and it was new/unbuilt! The going bid was only like $15, so in order to make sure I got it, I bid $250 (crazy, right?). Well, believe it or not, I was outbid by a snipe bid in the final 3 seconds. I guess I wasn't alone trying to find one of these.
Well 2 weeks ago, another one appeared on Ebay, again brand new/unbuilt. This time, I was the snipe bidder, and I WON! And to top it off, I got it for $40! If only the seller had known what my top bid amount was, he would choke! It was sold by a guy in Canada, and it even has French on the box as well as English. It came in the mail this past weekend, with the original radio shack cellophane and $4.50 price sticker, from probably 1975!
So tonight, I built the thing, knowing full well that I was destroying it's value to anyone but myself. And (drum roll please) IT WORKS! It actually works very well, and I spent an hour listening to some commercial airline guys calling Cleveland Center.
I'll include a pic...now I'm thinking (after a break) I'll order some balsa kits...
View attachment 59553
Dude. You gotta get an airplane kit and build it. Then install that in the plane.

I know the feeling, though my formative years were spent building Heathkits.
Same here. I built a 25" TV, Oscilloscope and nixi-tube voltmeter. I also built an FM transmitter but it was not Heathkit. Saying 25" TV sounds so wimpy these days with all of the huge flat screens, but back in the day it was pretty awesome.

Pretty cool. My Radio Shack project from 8 years old was an AM transmitter. Really low power. It worked!

I think there is a market for 'educational toys' of the past, but manufacturers are unaware of it. A bunch of 50-70yr olds would love to build electric devices, possibly motive devices, or do chemical experiments (all stuff that was available in the ~1960-80's) on their garage workbench.

I loved this thing when I was a kid. What a thrill to hook up the jumper wires to the little spring posts, rig up a crystal radio, sound generator or whatever, and actually have it work!

View attachment 59671

I always wanted one of those as a kid. I think I saw them in a Toys’R’Us catalogue but could never get my parents to buy it for Christmas. They were fairly pricey if I remember correctly (like $70+}.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is a market for 'educational toys' of the past, but manufacturers are unaware of it. A bunch of 50-70yr olds would love to build electric devices, possibly motive devices, or do chemical experiments (all stuff that was available in the ~1960-80's) on their garage workbench.

I’m sure that is a rapidly shrinking market, and manufacturers are aware of that fact.

And that rapidly shrinking market is served pretty well by eBay, for now. Along those lines I’ve searched for and found an original “Visible Man” on eBay, but never pulled the trigger. Thinking the grandkids might someday be interested, but I think probably not without the nostalgia factor coming into play.

I loved this thing when I was a kid. What a thrill to hook up the jumper wires to the little spring posts, rig up a crystal radio, sound generator or whatever, and actually have it work!

View attachment 59671
That is one of the neatest electronics toy kits I have ever seen. I have never seen one before. I would like to see the manual that came with it to see how much electronics it actually taught versus just how to wire projects. I was facinated by electronics as a child and would have loved to have one. I'm sure it came along after my time considering the LED digital display on it.

Google sparkfun. The toys have morphed a bit but they are out there.

That is one of the neatest electronics toy kits I have ever seen. I have never seen one before. I would like to see the manual that came with it to see how much electronics it actually taught versus just how to wire projects. I was facinated by electronics as a child and would have loved to have one. I'm sure it came along after my time considering the LED digital display on it.

It was more useful in teaching things like circuitry and running things in series/parallel. It included oscillators, capacitors, resistors, etc. as why as the associated symbols common in reading circuitry diagrams. There were different models which had 50, 75, 150, or 200+ different circuits to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was the "Electric Build-It Set" that Dad got me instead of a larger Erector set:

ElectricBuildIt810.jpg

Mine was a little different from the picture, I had a jet boat instead of a traffic light, but many of the parts were the same, I think some of the terminal springs are still in my junk box. That was followed by an array of Heathkits.

View attachment 59671

Had that exact same one. Great stuff. The book was a basic electronics course written for kids.

I always wanted one of those as a kid. I think I saw them in a Toys’R’Us catalogue but could never get my parents to buy it for Christmas. They were fairly pricey if I remember correctly (like $70+}.
Yeah, not cheap, especially back in the day. My dad was into pushing STEM before STEM was cool...he was CalTech educated and worked on guidance systems for the Minuteman missile, spent a lot of time at White Sands on the test range, truly a rocket scientist. I miss him terribly. I wish I still had that very special gift from him!

Back