When dreams come true... (long)

I must be a little over-eager. I’m sitting downstairs waiting on my crew while watching the hotel shuttle loading up. I’m thinking, “Where’s my crew?”

Then I look at my watch again and realized I’d set both my “Get Ready!” and my “Head to Van!” alarms one hour earlier than needed.

Better early than late, I guess. So I went to Dunkin‘ Donuts next door and bought a box of munchkins for the crew.

I must be a little over-eager. I’m sitting downstairs waiting on my crew while watching the hotel shuttle loading up. I’m thinking, “Where’s my crew?”

Then I look at my watch again and realized I’d set both my “Get Ready!” and my “Head to Van!” alarms one hour earlier than needed.

Better early than late, I guess. So I went to Dunkin‘ Donuts next door and bought a box of munchkins for the crew.

This New Englander approves!

Ha! BTDT. Time zones will getcha!

I start February 12. 5 days of ground, 1 FTD, 2 maneuvers training, MV, 2 LOFT, LOE. Whole thing should take about a month. There’s about 10 in our class and I’m right in the middle seniority wise so there shouldn’t be too big of a break in between ground and sims.
Congratulations. In searching for something the other day, I came across a thread you had started while you were getting your instrument rating. I almost necroposted it for old times sake!

Congratulations. In searching for something the other day, I came across a thread you had started while you were getting your instrument rating. I almost necroposted it for old times sake!
Yea man, it goes by quick. Hard to believe they’re letting the kid upgrade!

Ha! BTDT. Time zones will getcha!

I wish I had that excuse. But my alarms are on my iPhone which automatically switches to local time, and my watch is the latest and greatest Apple Watch with cellular that ALSO automatically switches to local time (while also always displaying Zulu time.)

So I really have NO excuse!!

I wish I had that excuse. But my alarms are on my iPhone which automatically switches to local time, and my watch is the latest and greatest Apple Watch with cellular that ALSO automatically switches to local time (while also always displaying Zulu time.)

We really know you were really one of those who wants to go jogging before meeting with the crew but you caved and bought donuts instead. Hahaha. :)

At least you had a leisurely breakfast. Sleep is overrated anyway. :D

We really know you were really one of those who wants to go jogging before meeting with the crew but you caved and bought donuts instead. Hahaha. :)

One of the flight attendants said she was going to go workout. I asked her to do 20 minutes of cardio for me, plus a few minutes of free weight. She assured me she would so I figured a few donut holes would be okay.

First Captain IOE trip complete. Got excellent reviews from my check airmen. The only item he left in "Training" status was I'm consistently a couple feet left of centerline, which he says is not an uncommon problem. Still adjusting to the sight-picture from that left seat. In the last 4000 hours I've probably spent less than 50 in that seat! It may take awhile!

It's also been interesting how weird muscle memory can be. My left hand just doesn't want to do things my right had could do without thinking! Reaching for certain center-console buttons with my right hand feels foreign and bizarre, assuming I can find them at all! That may be one of the biggest challenges switching seats.

We had a young jumpseaters fresh off his sim training and awaiting IOE doing an observation flight on our last turn of the trip. We flew to Louisville and back. I gave him as many of my FO pointers as I could recall! Chances are I'll be flying with him in the next few months!

Now a few days off to work with students before going back to the left seat late Sunday. Will be doing a little chair flying to stay sharp.

Last edited:
It's official: I'm a Captain! I had my FAA observation on Monday evening and my final line check was this evening and I got a good review from my Line Check Airman. What a relief.

It was an interesting trip with all kinds of new things thrown at me, including mechanical issues even my LCA hasn't seen in a dozen years flying the CRJ! I got to chat with MX Control several times and a couple of rounds of deicing. We had ATC delays, both on the ground and in the air, that necessitated some serious fuel analysis, as well as a boat load of bad weather going into and out of Detroit. And some very long taxi routes!

Now I have three days off to chill. Normally I'd be flight instructing but the Super Bowl has come to town and it is wreaking absolute havoc on General Aviation in the Minneapolis metro. So I'll probably do some ground school with a few students and do some prep for my first four day trip as a captain which starts on Sunday afternoon (no Super Bowl for me!) This trip flows through ATL five times and includes flights into several airports I've never been to before so it will have its own challenges. I'm nervously looking forward to it!

Stay tuned...

...It was an interesting trip with all kinds of new things thrown at me, including mechanical issues even my LCA hasn't seen in a dozen years flying the CRJ! I got to chat with MX Control several times and a couple of rounds of deicing. We had ATC delays, both on the ground and in the air, that necessitated some serious fuel analysis, as well as a boat load of bad weather going into and out of Detroit. And some very long taxi routes!...
That job is starting to sound like work!

Congratulations!!! Now you just need to calculate high mins for a couple months and you’re set!

Congratulations!!! Now you just need to calculate high mins for a couple months and you’re set!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that this time of year. I'm hoping to fly those 100 hours off as quickly as I can...but it will be at least a month and a half.

Are you coming through MSP or ATL sunday afternoon ?

I leave MSP early afternoon, do a Winnipeg turn, then end up in South Bend, IN for the night on Sunday. I hit ATL the rest of the trip with overnights in MOB and CHA, both new to me.

I leave MSP early afternoon, do a Winnipeg turn, then end up in South Bend, IN for the night on Sunday. I hit ATL the rest of the trip with overnights in MOB and CHA, both new to me.

I'll be at MSP from 2:20 to 3:20pm.

Flew into CHA & MOB for years being based in ATL. Both CHA & MOB easy to fly into. MOB not as busy as CHA. CHA has terrain and scenic mountains around it. ATL ok too, just busy busy. Good fresh Gulf seafood in MOB, CHA depends where your hotel is.

See you're doing TRI & AVL, both in mountainous terrain and scenic to fly into. ASH busy. Are you a NASCAR fan? If you're on the ILS for 23 you'll fly adjacent to Bristol Speedway, looks like a big football stadium.

Last edited:
I thought that the day I flew a two-leg trip from Pasco, WA to Minneapolis, MN to Norfolk, VA in one of our 900s. It may be as close to a coast-to-coast flight as I'll ever have in one day.

I flew one from ATL-OMA-SLC--LAX once in a 200. "Commuter" airline lol.

I'll be at MSP from 2:20 to 3:20pm.

Bummer. I'll be onboard my aircraft at 12:30, then don't get back from Winterpeg until 6:40p. (2 hour sit in Canada, which is sorta strange. We're only allowed 90 minutes without clearing customs, so this will be a PITA turn.)

What night is your stopover in CHA? If it works we could grab a bite and a pint somewhere.

What night is your stopover in CHA? If it works we could grab a bite and a pint somewhere.

We leave ATL at 23:33 and are scheduled in 20 minutes past midnight. :-( If you know any places open after 1 a.m. you're on! We don't leave until 2:30p the next day, so if breakfast or lunch is an option, let me know.

We leave ATL at 23:33 and are scheduled in 20 minutes past midnight. :-( If you know any places open after 1 a.m. you're on! We don't leave until 2:30p the next day, so if breakfast or lunch is an option, let me know.

Waffle House!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Where you staying in CHA, name of hotel?

Back