New PA28 AD

paflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PAFlyer
Just received notification that there is a new AD going into effect in two weeks that affects PA28s.

Apparently Piper "just discovered" that they had a "quality control problem" with the fuel selector labeling and the FAA- in their infinite wisdom and general lack of concern for the economic burden it places on owners- effectively grounds 17000+ airplanes until they are inspected for compliance.

This issue? Potential "mislabeling" of L/R tank selection, apparently having left the factory that way.

Yep, it affects airplanes that have been in service as long as a half-century. You would think that natural selection would have weeded out the incorrectly labeled switches by now.

that has been around as a S/B for years. most should have had it done by now, its as simple as checking to see that the tanks are marked right.

bob

Most of the Cherokees I have flown have the lever pointing either left or right.

How dumb do you have to be to think pointing left is for the right tank??

Put mine on left, and I watch the left gauge go down. Put mine on right, and the right gauge goes down.

Which PA28 models?

On mine it looks like this, the selector doesn't really point to a tank as it's mounted on the side.
ly6bz.jpg

Also the only way I can fathom anyone not knowing what's selected is because they didn't look it it. You can feel it notch into place....seems as foolproof as reasonably possible to me.

According to the AD yours looks correct since it points to 12:00 and 3:00 (in my opinion, which is worth zip since I'm not a wrench or wrench supervisor.) But if your serial number falls into the list then it has to be signed off.

Which PA28 models?

On mine it looks like this, the selector doesn't really point to a tank as it's mounted on the side.
ly6bz.jpg

Also the only way I can fathom anyone not knowing what's selected is because they didn't look it it. You can feel it notch into place....seems as foolproof as reasonably possible to me.

Which PA28 models?

ly6bz.jpg

I have the exact same fuel selector setup as well

Does it require an A+P to inspect and log?
On the surface it looks like something that easily could have been required of the owner instead of an A(+P).

Does it require an A+P to inspect and log?
On the surface it looks like something that easily could have been required of the owner instead of an A(+P).
Who can sign off an AD. I've been told that I can sign off the Bendix ignition switch AD as a PP but did not discuss the veracity of information.

This particular AD is beyond insane. Suddenly without discussion or comment every PA-28 must not fly again without inspection or a permit for a placard that has been in place for about 40 years? That certainly meets my definition of insane over-reaction. Now throw in the fact that Piper doesn't know which aircraft may be affected. Looks like they weren't tracking parts... oops.

If it is allowed to be inspected and signed off by persons other than a mechanic it should say so in the text of the AD.

At least its easy. Not like the one where you have to squeeze into the back of the empennage to inspect and lubricate the elevator pulley.

Looks like the AD writers brother-in-law owns a Piper service center.

It's a 100hr TIS item, so it doesn't really ground anyone immediately. Stupid though not to include text that the owner/PP can comply with it (such as in the Bendix ignition switch AD).

It's a 100hr TIS item, so it doesn't really ground anyone immediately. Stupid though not to include text that the owner/PP can comply with it (such as in the Bendix ignition switch AD).
The inspection must be complied with by 7 Feb. After that the 100 hour limit comes into play.

As posted, whomever the AD allows.

Was this AD not widely discussed by Piper owners in the Comment Period?
From the AD:
Comments Invited
This AD is a final rule that involves requirements affecting flight safety and was not preceded by notice and an opportunity for public comment. However, we invite you to send any written data, views, or arguments about this final rule. Send your comments to an address listed under the ADDRESSES section. Include the docket number FAA-2018-0015 and Product Identifier 2017-CE-045-AD at the beginning of your comments. We specifically invite comments on the overall regulatory, economic, environmental, and energy aspects of this final rule. We will consider all comments received by the closing date and may amend this final rule because of those comments.

Mine looks more like this, well exactly like this.

503.jpg

But the "place fuel selector on left tank, watch left tank gauge head towards empty then place selector on right and watch right gauge head towards empty seems to work just fine.

Mine looks more like this, well exactly like this.
Yours is the original PA-28 two-tank selector. They switched to the new arrangement (photo in Post #5) for the 1971 model year.

The newer selector is apparently the one that has had the label problem, but the AD covers all two-tank PA-28s, back to serial number 1 (1961). I’m guessing that’s because the new-style selector has been retrofitted in some older airframes. Just a guess.

-235s, which have four tanks, have a different selector valve arrangement, and are excluded from the SB/AD.

Last edited:
Which PA28 models?

ly6bz.jpg

But still....Which way do you turn it for left tank?

But still....Which way do you turn it for left tank?

Counterclockwise or "up". The arrow points up when it's on the left tank. But honestly I just look at it and the huge L and R lettering is a pretty good clue. I do get what you're saying but I never really thought about the positions that way.

Counterclockwise or "up". The arrow points up when it's on the left tank. But honestly I just look at it and the huge L and R lettering is a pretty good clue. I do get what you're saying but I never really thought about the positions that way.
You don't have to think about it that way. It's natural and subliminal. You're turning it left to go to the left tank and right to go to the right tank.

You don't have to think about it that way. It's natural and subliminal. You're turning it left to go to the left tank and right to go to the right tank.

I get you, for me I have to bend forward slightly to reach it and when I do this I look down and read the label so I'm actually reading L or R instead of thinking about the position. It could be the other way around and I don't see it being of issue. It takes less than one second, you just have to look at it.

This is really dumb. I know mine is fine because I often fill up on tank and leave the other at the tabs. I run the full tank home and when I get there they are even. You would think any yahoo who notices the stickers are swapped would have fixed it 40 years ago. Now I have to go pay someone to fill out paperwork confirming what I already know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least its easy. Not like the one where you have to squeeze into the back of the empennage to inspect and lubricate the elevator pulley.

That's just so when you crawl into the front of the Mooney it makes you think it's spacious. ;)

This is really dumb. I know mine is fine because I often fill up on tank and leave the other at the tabs. I run the full tank home and when I get there they are even. You would think any yahoo who notices the stickers are swapped would have fixed it 40 years ago. Now I have to go pay someone to fill out paperwork confirming what I already know

I’m guessing this is some sort of political weirdness to justify the ‘essential’ nature of jobs during the shutdown.

Anybody got a copy of the SB1309
It’s available on piper’s website. Select one of the affected models on the tech pubs page and recent SBs can be pulled up.

The inspection must be complied with by 7 Feb. After that the 100 hour limit comes into play.

Technically the inspection AND temporary labels if it’s wrong before Feb 7 and then you have 100 hours to get permanent labels/new plastic doohickey/whatever permanent means.

But I know you’re coming from a place where you already know yours isn’t wrong.

I was told by an AP that as owner operator I can sign it off....

I see no evidence in the AD text that his information is correct. Ask him how he came to that conclusion from the AD. Get the document that says it’s allowed. Careful.

My goodness, that explains everything! I've been wondering for years why it is that I can fly for 2 hours on the left tank, tell the FBO just to fill the left tank because I didn't use the right one, and get a receipt that shows they didn't add any fuel. I always checked and the tank was full, so I thought the FBOs were all just reacting to my cool sunglasses by comping me the fuel. I wonder if there's any fuel left in the right tank at all!

Here's a link to the PDF from the FAA: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...f5d08cb68625821e00521755/$FILE/2018-02-05.pdf

You also need SB 1309. Here's a link to that one: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pipercrm/Solution/19000/SB_1309.pdf

I think the funniest part is on page 4 of the AD document, the regulatory finding that this AD will not affect intrastate aviation in Alaska. Are there no Cherokees up North, or does the FAA just use a different definition of "affect" than I'm used to?

Anyhow, the time requirement is:
Inspect on or before February 7, 2018.
If the placards are wrong, replace them within 100 hours time-in-service after February 7, 2018.

Alaska commerce isn’t affected because even if there are PA-28s in service compliance only takes 10 minutes including time to pull the logbooks out of the cabinet.

I was told by an AP that as owner operator I can sign it off....
Not that I read in the AD or SB. That is unless he knows of an AMOC that permits a pilot sign off. There would have to be a statement in the AD similar to this for an owner/operator/pilot to sign it off:

"The actions required by this paragraph may be performed by the owner/operator (pilot) holding at least a private pilot certificate, and must be entered into the aircraft records showing compliance with this AD in accordance with 14 CFR 43.9 (a)(1) through (4) and 14 CFR 91.417(a)(2)(v). The record must be maintained as required by 14 CFR 91.417, 121.380, or 135.439."

As for the 100hr time limit, it only applies if you install temporary markings per the SB.

It’s available on piper’s website. Select one of the affected models on the tech pubs page and recent SBs can be pulled up.
Referring to the other thread on discontinued checkride because there wasn't an AD list....knowing where the ADs are on the FAA website and the manurfacturer SBs are located can be very handy. Sometimes the ADs refer back to the SBs.

Back