Pirep: McDonald's Filet o Fish Sandwich (or, salad, rather)

Heh - when I was a kid my dad would hand out a couple boxes of C rations to feed us kids whenever he and mom went out to dinner.

I still keep MREs around, I stuff a few in the motorcycle hardbags when I head out on a trip. If I end up camping out in the boonies where the nearest food is 40mi away, an MRE makes a pretty decent dinner.

P38? To me, a P38 is either an airplane or a pistol. Those little foldable can ope er thjngs were always "John Wayne"s. But then again, I grew up in the USMC, not the army . . . .

We called 'em P38s in the USAF also, but then a long time ago we were part of the Army. You know, like Marines are part of the Navy. ;):)

I always figured Marines just squeezed the can, like Poppye.

IMG_3407.JPG

Popeye is a sailor man.

I knew someone was gonna say that. So you're THAT guy. ;)

But I did say that the Marines were part of the Navy. From what I heard Poppye spent 2 years in the Marines then transferred to the Navy. :popcorn:

I knew someone was gonna say that. So you're THAT guy. ;)

But I did say that the Marines were part of the Navy. From what I heard Poppye spent 2 years in the Marines then transferred to the Navy. :popcorn:
Yeah, I'm THAT guy.

I suppose Popeye could have been a Marine at one time in his career, so I'll give him that. Navy records from that far back are hard to find, and I don't think Stolen Valor is going to do any follow-ups into it.

I did see that there's the possibility Popeye was actually a Coastie:

https://military.id.me/community-ne...areer-popeye-the-sailor-man-was-a-navy-phony/

Yeah, I'm THAT guy.

I suppose Popeye could have been a Marine at one time in his career, so I'll give him that. Navy records from that far back are hard to find, and I don't think Stolen Valor is going to do any follow-ups into it.

I did see that there's the possibility Popeye was actually a Coastie:

https://military.id.me/community-ne...areer-popeye-the-sailor-man-was-a-navy-phony/

A guy that competes with a fat slob for an egotistical anorexic chick? Has phony written all over him.

I was trying to figure out what kind of medical device that is, then I realized it's a can opener.

you need that for your spam....? o_O
It's sort of a medical device, it prevents starvation.

I've been searching for hours for a picture of a green, Army issue 5 lb square tin of Spam. I think it was called 'loaf, ham.' I scored one from the mess hall one Friday and had a major party in the barracks over the weekend. Hot plates were involved. Beer was involved. Schnapps was involved. Ramen noodle mix was involved.

I so heaved major chunks.

I so heaved major chunks.

That was common after hours spent at the base club. Tuna fish, in my room sink, wake up next day, go to sink...aww man, then dry heaves....back to club. What ya do overseas. :dunno:

Why would any adult eat at McDonald's?

I like the Sausage McMuffin w/egg. I could make similar at home, or buy frozen ones, but why bother. Same thing.

Couple of those late morning, I can usually completely skip lunch and not care at all. I’m usually not a breakfast person at all, and just have coffee and the occasional fresh made small breakfast burrito at our country convenience store where one of the neighbors makes the burritos and sells them through there... but if I decide it’s a day worthy of breakfast or I know I’m going to be tied up at lunch, a couple of McMuffins and a Diet Coke and I’m good. (If I do coffee with McMuffins, I nearly die from heartburn.)

Meh, to some it's comfort food. My wife once in a while likes a can of Chef Boyardee mini ravioli, and I'm guilty of having Kraft blue box once in while. Neither is haute cuisine, but it hits the spot.

Hahaha. Yeah, we have a very large pantry and there’s always those two and a few packs of Ramen in there somewhere. We actually made a little Ramen tonight, and then I see this thread. LOL!

Busy day, couple of left over pork chops, a little Ramen. Salad. Dinner done. Took like five minutes.

There's lots of things we normally don't keep around the house, because we try to eat healthy. But, on vacation my wife rolls her eyes, because my daughter and I load up the cart with "vacation food." Entenmanns chocolate frosted donuts, oreos, pinwheels, ginger snaps, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, BBQ chips, York peppermint patties, etc. We binge eat junk food all week, it drives the wife nuts.

Hey, it's vacation! We'll get back to clean livin' next week...

Oh that’s funny. And those donuts are pure evil. I can’t bring them in the house or I’ll eat like three of them at a time. With milk.

We all know that isn’t chocolate, of course. It’s chocolate flavored lard. Haha.

Yeah those donuts are about a once a year thing and they’re gone in two days, max.

I wouldn't know a thing about that...:rolleyes:
shopping

Nauga,
talkin' chip

Those things look awesome. I’ve been places that have Utz chips, but have never seen those! Want!!!

And the photos of the big seafood boil just make my heart happy, but my wife doesn’t do seafood, at all, which makes me sad. She loathes anything that tastes “fishy”.

Oh, speaking of that... back to the original topic... I’ll do an occasional Fillet O’ Fish, no tartar sauce. I know what I’m gettin’ into, it’s just shaped pollock paste and breading.

Ever watch the videos of pollack processor ships? They catch and process all at the same time because pollack can’t be kept in any sort of storage for any length of time and be edible, apparently. The creation of the catcher/processor ships made the use of pollack possible.

I’m more fascinated by McD’s cheese than the pollack. What IS that stuff? The color. The saltiness. I hate to say it, but that’s what makes their burgers and the Fillet work at all, is that strange horrible but salty and tasty cheese.

If I do anything else at McD it’s a double QPC plain. I probably should toss out one or both buns like Sac. Just gimme the pink meat protein paste that looks like hamburger and turns brown when cooked and that strange cheese substance, and I’m good.

Oh and yes, when I remember and they have them, I will do a McRib or two. No onion, extra pickle. And I HAVE to scape off like half or more of that insanely sweet BBQ sauce on the edge of the little sandwich box. Way too much. I’m happy with a microscopic coating of the sauce and a pile of pickles to go with the ground up pig noses, and anuses. Or whatever that crap is. LOL.

We actually made a little Ramen tonight, and then I see this thread. LOL!

Busy day, couple of left over pork chops, a little Ramen. Salad. Dinner done. Took like five minutes.
I had ramen this evening too; with an egg, and some lettuce that was too wilted to use in a salad. I’m a notoriously lazy cook.

I had ramen this evening too; with an egg, and some lettuce that was too wilted to use in a salad. I’m a notoriously lazy cook.

I should have tossed a couple eggs in there. Hrumph. Ha. I missed out! ;) The big problem with Ramen is I just don’t need that many carbs anymore. Adding protein to everything seems to be my cooking role in life these days. Veggies and protein... veggies and protein...

I’m not a big fruit eater either... even though those sugars are supposed to be the best sugars for you if you’re having sugars and starches and whatnot.

I do envy my late grandfather on dad’s side. That man ate potatoes at literally every meal for well over half his life, and nearly everything my grandmother made was fried in oil or lard or butter. He was a beanpole. He’d go through a ten pound sack of potatoes a week as a widower after grandma passed. He would eat mostly potatoes and eggs. Lived well into his 90s.

I think his potato habit came from the Depression days. They were farm kids and had a root cellar and he always talked about the food they gardened in a small plot near the farmhouse as being the difference between them doing “pretty well” and the hungry city folk in town.

No real idea if that’s why or not, though. The amount and varieties of potatoes that man could eat was astonishing though. We never picked a restaurant to eat out at with him if it didn’t serve some sort of potato dish. It was a mandatory thing that went unspoken.

Can still picture him frying up potato slices in a big frying pan at his stove if he was cooking.

Some small noodles with a generous tbsp or so of hot salsa does indeed make nice snack.

There is also a mom and pop pizza place nearby that offers jalapenos atop their very good pizza. They get my business.

Yeah, I believe I have the proverbial cast iron stomach. I do like spices and my cooking reflects that.

Bland foods are tasteless.

Hahaha. Yeah, we have a very large pantry and there’s always those two and a few packs of Ramen in there somewhere. We actually made a little Ramen tonight, and then I see this thread. LOL!

That's something else I'll stash in the motorcycle hardbags when heading out on a trip. A couple packs of ramen, a can of tuna, and a small can of peas, and you have a quick one pot dinner.

That's something else I'll stash in the motorcycle hardbags when heading out on a trip. A couple packs of ramen, a can of tuna, and a small can of peas, and you have a quick one pot dinner.
and fix.....whirled peas...too.;)

I like the Sausage McMuffin w/egg. I could make similar at home, or buy frozen ones, but why bother. Same thing.

Couple of those late morning, I can usually completely skip lunch and not care at all. I’m usually not a breakfast person at all, and just have coffee and the occasional fresh made small breakfast burrito at our country convenience store where one of the neighbors makes the burritos and sells them through there... but if I decide it’s a day worthy of breakfast or I know I’m going to be tied up at lunch, a couple of McMuffins and a Diet Coke and I’m good. (If I do coffee with McMuffins, I nearly die from heartburn.)

Oh that’s funny. And those donuts are pure evil. I can’t bring them in the house or I’ll eat like three of them at a time. With milk.

We all know that isn’t chocolate, of course. It’s chocolate flavored lard. Haha.

Yeah those donuts are about a once a year thing and they’re gone in two days, max.

Those things look awesome. I’ve been places that have Utz chips, but have never seen those! Want!!!

And the photos of the big seafood boil just make my heart happy, but my wife doesn’t do seafood, at all, which makes me sad. She loathes anything that tastes “fishy”.

Oh, speaking of that... back to the original topic... I’ll do an occasional Fillet O’ Fish, no tartar sauce. I know what I’m gettin’ into, it’s just shaped pollock paste and breading.

Ever watch the videos of pollack processor ships? They catch and process all at the same time because pollack can’t be kept in any sort of storage for any length of time and be edible, apparently. The creation of the catcher/processor ships made the use of pollack possible.

I’m more fascinated by McD’s cheese than the pollack. What IS that stuff? The color. The saltiness. I hate to say it, but that’s what makes their burgers and the Fillet work at all, is that strange horrible but salty and tasty cheese.

If I do anything else at McD it’s a double QPC plain. I probably should toss out one or both buns like Sac. Just gimme the pink meat protein paste that looks like hamburger and turns brown when cooked and that strange cheese substance, and I’m good.

Oh and yes, when I remember and they have them, I will do a McRib or two. No onion, extra pickle. And I HAVE to scape off like half or more of that insanely sweet BBQ sauce on the edge of the little sandwich box. Way too much. I’m happy with a microscopic coating of the sauce and a pile of pickles to go with the ground up pig noses, and anuses. Or whatever that crap is. LOL.

The double QPC is the shizz nit. It's one of those deals where if I actually do eat the bun, I'll get one or two. Same with Whoppers. Actually, with bun, Whoppers are about my favorite, although some of the Jack in the Box sourdough creations fairly decent. If I'm going to be bad though, I'm going to be real bad and go with onion rings. In retrospect, fries are probably better for you, but onion rings are so yummy. That is if they are done right, which eliminates a lot of fast food onion rings. Carl's are okay. BK's tend to be a tad on the greasy side for something that is greasy to begin with.

The alcohol munchies have led me to make a run to Jack in the Box for a couple of their big doubles, a stop by Carl's for one of their half pounders, and a finish off of one or to DQPC's in the past.

Remember the Big Chef at Burger Chef (went out of business) many moons ago @Sac Arrow ? Man I could devour those things, similar to a Big Mac.

0a87c40deba3af65c000fedfecd8879e.jpg

I had to Google that, but I have vague memories of the restaurant as a kid, but I'm not sure I ever ate there. Then again, I didn't spend much time in the States growing up.

The first fast food memories I had as a five year old was the McDonald's on Guam. It had massive arches, and I kind of remember it being in the middle of noplace.

The first fast food memories I had as a five year old was the McDonald's on Guam. It had massive arches, and I kind of remember it being in the middle of noplace.

Yes, that describes Gaum.

I should have tossed a couple eggs in there. Hrumph. Ha. I missed out! ;) The big problem with Ramen is I just don’t need that many carbs anymore. Adding protein to everything seems to be my cooking role in life these days. Veggies and protein... veggies and protein...
I'm not that big a fan of veggies, although I try to eat them. Some fruit is OK. I don't mind sweets as long as they are not too sweet, but I don't crave them. I love carbs, pasta in any form, rice, potatoes... It's amazing that I'm not twice as big as I am.

Remember the Big Chef at Burger Chef (went out of business) many moons ago @Sac Arrow ? Man I could devour those things, similar to a Big Mac.

0a87c40deba3af65c000fedfecd8879e.jpg
The most I remember about Burger Chef is the day it burned down.

I remember A&W Root Beer had the best burgers..... Greasy and with bacon. It was at A&W where I saw my first Harley Davidson 3 wheeler. I remember being amazed how the guy backed it out of the parking spot.

Except at Wendy's where burgers are square. Don't know what shape the fish are there.
Fish are square too, and deeeee-licious. They have a Pollock sandwich. It's listed under "Local Flavors" on their digital menu boards. I'm in NYC, so I guess they fish it out of the East River.

Last week, I got a strange craving for chicken nuggets, so went to McD's and ate a WHOLE 20 piece with medium fries (they add too much salt).

Burger Chef had a Burger Bar, similar to a salad bar. You could go in and get a plain hamburger for pretty cheap (like 35 cents), and then load it up with half a ton of "fixins." Ate a few of them when I was low on cash.

Burger Chef had a Burger Bar, similar to a salad bar. You could go in and get a plain hamburger for pretty cheap (like 35 cents), and then load it up with half a ton of "fixins." Ate a few of them when I was low on cash.

There is a chain called Fuddruckers that does that. But, they aren't cheap. And they aren't all that great either.

There is a chain called Fuddruckers that does that. But, they aren't cheap. And they aren't all that great either.
A couple of our local bar and grills has fixin' bars for burgers. You order with/without cheese. What you put on, and how much, is up to you.

We used to have a a Fuddrucker's around here, but I don't know if it's still open.

Last week, I got a strange craving for chicken nuggets, so went to McD's and ate a WHOLE 20 piece with medium fries (they add too much salt).
Wendys chicken nuggets are MUCH better. I can't eat most of the stuff McDonalds has

Wendys chicken nuggets are MUCH better. I can't eat most of the stuff McDonalds has

I've eaten them, the various McNuggets from the different chains, but

Then I grew up. No, chicken nuggets don't excite me. And yes, they get occasionally made at dinner. Not my call.

ChickFilA for nuggets.

That has never been on my radar. We have a few. I might just have to suck it up and try them one of these days. I've pondered their menu but it looked tough for my (low carb) needs.

I'll give them a shot. And post an appropriate review.

Back