Functional EGT required for annual?

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Is a functioning EGT gauge required for a Piper Cherokee 140 to pass an annual inspection?
Thanks,
Hish

That's a bit of a vague question, but I'd say likely not.

Is a functioning EGT gauge required for a Piper Cherokee 140 to pass an annual inspection?
Thanks,
Hish
Everything installed needs to function in order for the aircraft to be considered airworthy. For an item that doesn't function and you don't want to fix it, that item can be deferred or removed to maintain airworthiness provided it is not a required item for the type of operation you fly. How this is handled will be up to the IA that signs your annual.

Checking the EGT gauge during annual? That's an annual so thorough, I can't afford it. I don't like prostate exams either.

LOL Good one, Salty. :)
I cannot recall my IA checking my EGT gauge either. That would be fun if he grounded me due to a bad probe or something. :)

It is a good question. If the owner placards the non-required gauge INOP, the airplane remains airworthy. IA cannot change that.

LOL Good one, Salty. :)
I cannot recall my IA checking my EGT gauge either. That would be fun if he grounded me due to a bad probe or something. :)

It is a good question. If the owner placards the non-required gauge INOP, the airplane remains airworthy. IA cannot change that.

Not exactly...Far 91.213

The inoperative instruments and equipment must be removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with 14 CFR §43.9; or deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with 14 CFR part 43.

Slapping an inop sticker on it is not enough to be legal.

There might also some rulings on leaving things inop forever. See the thread elsewhere in this forum on that.

Bob

Last edited:
If the owner placards the non-required gauge INOP, the airplane remains airworthy. IA cannot change that.
In general that is correct plus the extra Bob mentioned above. However, the original EGT deferment ends at the annual or next scheduled inspection. Everything needs to function at that time. So you are looking at fixing, removing. or deferring again. How the IA handles it in this case is up to him. But in most cases the IA will sign the annual with discrepancies (EGT inop) which will require another deferment sign-off by an A&P or if applicable the owner. Nothing can stay deferred indefinitely on a single write up.

In the 70’s it was common for clocks to be inop almost permanently in VFR birds, wonder how they got around that issue?

wonder how they got around that issue?
They didn't "get around the issue." The annual was signed with an inop item. As I've mentioned before, it's up to the IA how he handles things. And while it's his certificate and signature on the annual, the owner is caught in the middle as he still is responsible for the overall airworthiness.

This is a good example of how things escalate over time especially when you take the aircraft to a new shop and the first thing out the mouth of the new mechanic is "how did they ever sign an annual off?" It is what it is.

Is it required to have an original/old Egt indicator installed in a TU206G? I'm installing a Jpi830 and dumping the classic Alcor.

Is it required to have an original/old Egt indicator installed in a TU206G? I'm installing a Jpi830 and dumping the classic Alcor.
No, only the old CHT is required unless you spring for the more expensive JPI which is your primary display. I had my old EGT removed during my JPI730 install, but kept the ye-olde CHT.

Only the gauges labeled as primary in your AFM/POH/STC docs are required functional at annual. Anything else can be labeled In-op and noted in the log book as such to legally fly the plane to a mechanic to resolve. Permanently in-op, I believe it must be removed and logged appropriately.

Only the gauges labeled as primary in your AFM/POH/STC docs are required functional at annual. Anything else can be labeled In-op and noted in the log book as such to legally fly the plane to a mechanic to resolve. Permanently in-op, I believe it must be removed and logged appropriately.

Removed or deactivated.

Removed or deactivated.

Good point of clarity Clip4. Log should say deactivated with an inop placard on the instrument, or if removed from panel stated as removed and negligible weight & balance change if true.

Back