Flight Following into Class B

Stephen Shore

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sshore
I will be flying down to Houston tomorrow. Destination airport is West Houston (KIWS) which is a non-towered "executive" GA airport that is close in to downtown and caters to business travelers.

It is right in the middle of the Houston Class B airspace, under the 2,000 foot layer of the "wedding cake".

I am planning on flying VFR (very nice weather this week) so I will fly a VFR flight plan and request VFR Flight Following upon departure from my small airport in NE Texas (07

I of course will be on Flight Following (unless of course dropped) right into the Class B airspace. I am assuming that even though I am on Flight Following, I will need to make a separate request for transition through the Class B airspace. Otherwise I will have to begin descending down to 4,000, then 3,000, and then ultimately 2,000 ft as I approach KIWS. I don't mind the 4,000 and 3,000 altitudes, but I really don't want to fly the 5-10 miles at 2,000 ft if I can avoid it. There are towers down there.

Anyway, is my assumption correct about having to request transition through the Class B airspace even though I am on Flight Following?

Thanks.

If the controller doesn't tell you that you are cleared into class bravo, and you are VFR, then yes you must request it.

I once heard a guy get quite a tongue lashing from Seattle Approach for assuming that a class B clearance was implicit in the fact that he was on flight following. The controller set him straight and IIRC gave him a number to call.

Last edited:
Best case? FF will clear you into Class B. Otherwise, ask FF for it. They may give you another freq to ask. Around Denver, it's the same freq within 30-40 nm.

If you don't hear your call sign + "cleared to enter class B airspace" or "cleared as requested" after you make a specific request for clearance into the class B, then you aren't cleared. People can go back and forth with example and counter examples (and this being POA, they probably will), but this is the gold standard.

Looking at the sectional, you can skirt under or around the class B without needing clearance.

Here’s what I do after having had a few Bravo denials in places that are notorious for it (KLAS).

Plan the descent to not NEED the Bravo clearance, but ask for it if you’d like it and be pleasantly surprised if you get it. :)

You are correct. Flight following into a Bravo is not a clearance into the Bravo. You must hear the magic words, “Cleared into the Class Bravo airspace” or similar.

Additionally as a gotcha, once in a GREAT while a Denver Approach controller will give an assigned ALTITUDE that WILL bust the Bravo, treating a VFR like it’s an IFR aircraft. It’s not SUPPOSED to happen but it’s up to the PIC to catch it and ask for a clearance in time to not bust the Bravo and still have enough time to descend if the controller says “negative” to the clearance request.

That one also probably deserves a NASA report, even if you catch it and don’t bust, for safety knowledge sharing. Vectoring you into the Bravo without a clearance is a problem. Doesn’t happen often, but be on the lookout for it.

It has happened to me more than once, and usually right after a sector frequency change. Previous controller gave the vector, next controller wasn’t aware of it. Many folks make sure when VFR by simply checking on with “level 9500, assigned” when switching frequencies and controllers near Bravo shelves. Hints to the next controller that you’re doing something you were told to do. Once I worked that into my habits, the next thing said usually is “resume own navigation, altitude pilot’s discretion, remain clear of the Bravo”.

In other words, “Thanks for letting me know the other controller screwed us both up, buddy... I shall release you from the altitude restriction henceforth!”

The other way the second controller will deal with it is “Cleared to descend through the Class Bravo, descend at pilot’s discretion...” which is similar just lets you flip the corner of the shelf because there’s nobody between you and your destination airport.

Same game with assigned headings. Tackling those on during the call up often fixes handoff problems for VFRs. Happens too often. “Level 8500, assigned heading 300”.

Usually on that one you get “Resume Own Navigation” or a quick comment about when you’ll be able to resume. VFR handoffs between controllers with assignments can be a weak/soft spot sometimes in the system for whatever reason. Good to be alert for it.

And since you're asking about getting IN to KIWS, pay attention on the way out... there are big signs at each end of the runway with the clearance freq to call. USE IT. They'll speed you on your way North.

No towers anywhere near 2,000 ft coming in from your direction. The only ones that tall are down south of Sugarland.

One other comment. Never fly at a shelf altitude without a Bravo clearance. Give yourself some maneuvering room and stay at least a couple hundred feet below the Bravo. Technically the Bravo airspace includes the defining altitudes. From a practical perspective why risk an inadvertent altitude bust?

As far as towers go, study the area and know where they are relative to your route. Big towers don’t pop up overnight.

Houston approach controllers are great to work with. They seem to have a good grasp of general aviation and will help out if they can.

An easy-peasy recap of what has been said....Without doing anything you will probably hear the magic words that you are cleared into the Bravo. If you don't, just ask to be cleared into the Bravo. Do that several miles outside B so that you're not feeling rushed and can concentrate on other things. At that point they'll either approve it or ask you to descend to avoid Bravo.

And since you're asking about getting IN to KIWS, pay attention on the way out... there are big signs at each end of the runway with the clearance freq to call. USE IT. They'll speed you on your way North.

Yeah that was the other thing I was wondering...how to get OUT. I am assuming the first call to Clearance Delivery and then on to Departure after TO from the KIWS.

Yeah that was the other thing I was wondering...how to get OUT. I am assuming the first call to Clearance Delivery and then on to Departure after TO from the KIWS.

Clearance delivery for VFR? Really? I don't see any need for that. Don't overcomplicate it.

Plan your route. Decide if you want to go east through the corridor along I-10 and then turn NE, or if you want to go north until out from underneath the Class B and then turn NE. Then just take off and go your merry way. If you want FF, then call approach and ask. Just be aware that just north of IWS the Class B floor is 2000, so don't climb into it. And if you go north, you have Hooks and Conroe Class D to avoid or transition through. Don't let it spook you, the Houston TRACON guys are really good.

When I have a path that takes me clearly through Boston, they either tell me to remain outside of Bravo or cleared through and the particular route. When I get close I usually specifically request the clearance and they give it if able.

Once while outside Bravo and circling around the airspace, they told me I was off my route of flight on Flight Following, but I wasn't cleared through the Bravo, and flying direct to the airport would have put me in violation. So it can be good to remind them, as they can forget what you are up to.

No matter what, just make sure you hear "cleared through Bravo" when VFR before you enter, even if their directions appear to clear you through, need to hear the magic word like my example above. Flying direct as they wanted would have put me in violation or uncomfortably close to it.

I'm not a local, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you're proceeding direct from 07F (I assume that's that's where you're coming from), you're going to be cutting directly across the arrival or departure path for IAH. As such, there's a good chance that even if they issue you a Bravo clearance, you're still going to be vectored around or down low. Just have a backup plan. If you're uncomfortable flying at 1,500-1,700 AGL for a few miles, plan on making a slight western detour to stay under the 3k shelf. It only adds 7nm to your route.

All the above is good information, so little to add on the flying.

What I can offer is to be on your AAA game with communicating. When you do your best to sound like a pro, Houston Approach are some of the best controllers to work with, even when they are crazy busy. It's when you sound like hicks from the sticks with lots of slow talking and "uuuhhhs" and "aaahs" that tie up the frequency that your chances of obtaining expedited routing and clearances will decline precipitously.

Something else to do before departure is to look up all of the various frequencies you need: CTAFs, Towers, Approach, Weather, etc. And then write these down in an organized fashion on your kneeboard. During a flight such as what you're doing, you may not have time to look it up on the fly. So having it down for quick reference is a good habit.

Finally, if you're not familiar with the area around Hooks, go on Google Earth and study the area around the airport. Look for various big land marks along the path that approaches the airport: Big roads, big malls, RR Tracks crossing a road. Goole Earth is useful for this because you can orient the picture to look like what you will see out the windscreen, including setting the altitude. Try to figure out "when I cross this landmark, the runway is to my 10/11/12/1/2 o'clock and xx miles"

Depending on traffic they may ask you to descend to at or below 2000 anyway...My Homedrome is under Houston Bravo...all depends on arriving traffic into IAH...towers are no issue from that side...frankly most of us don't FF until well clear of the Bravo and just fly below or around...

Hi.
Not specific to your exact location / procedure, but as a rule when you are close, or about, to enter Class B you must hear the words Cleared through class B, and you must reply Nxxxx cleared Class B, if not Do not proceed into B.
In addition FF does not guarantee you are cleared through controlled airspace on your route, the responsibility is with the pilot, more than it is with the controller. When it's not clear, ask.

Whenever I've had to deal with a Bravo I go under. I don't mind taking to them or anything, but they have the annoying habit of vectoring me well out of my way.

No matter what, just make sure you hear "cleared through Bravo" when VFR before you enter, even if their directions appear to clear you through, need to hear the magic word like my example above.

That is not entirely correct. While that is common phraseology by ATC there is no one specific required magic phrase...you just need to receive an explicit "Clearance" to enter Bravo while VFR and the exact wording can vary depending on the situation..."cleared" will indeed be part of it.

If you ever not 100% certain that you received that clearance or there is any ambiguity...query ATC as it is on you.

KIWS is under the class-B, but not part of it. It's a pilot controlled field, so you just take off and stay under 3000'. You don't have to talk to anyone.

Keep in mind that the class-B is just 2000' straight north of the airport. But you already knew that.

I think you are overthinking it, Stephen.
Sure there are towers around Houston but nowhere near 2000' MSL. That's the bigazz antenna array down south. :)
Also, if you are uncomfortable flying into/around the airspace, take a CFI with you, no harm in that.
Flying in Bravo is no different than flying in Delta or Charlie airspace, the airplane handles the same. The radio might be just a little busier and you will need an explicit clearance, no big deal. In my personal experience, I've flown in MUCH more congested Delta airspaces than Bravo airspaces. It is all relative.
And if you don't take a CFI with you, take another pilot friend. Expand your comfort zone.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

...Without doing anything you will probably hear the magic words that you are cleared into the Bravo....

That's rare, in my experience (but it could vary depending on which bravo you're talking about).

To each his own, but if Clearance Delivery is available on the ground at an underlying airport, I use it. The controller gives you a squawk, a freq to contact him on, and then knows you are coming.

Btw, I assume you already know about the landing fees. Though their description seems a little misleading: "No Ramp Fees, Flowage Fees, Security Charges, Landing Fees (with minimum fuel purchase)."
Last time we were there, the landing fee for a SEL was $10 or $15 (can't really remember).

You didn't say where your coming from. But, my guess is some of the first words out of Houston Approach's mouth will be "remain clear of Class B airspace." At least in my experience, going into a airport underlying class B, you don't get cleared into the actual class B unless you're headed to the primary airport.

Check out the Houston "FLY" chart. Click on "Houston Fly" tab at top of page:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=29.818194444,-95.672611111&chart=111&zoom=1

Last edited:
OK, I made it to West Houston - very uneventful flight into Houston Class Bravo and I built it up into way more of a big deal than it was. I really do appreciate all the advice though - I followed it and that is what made the flight uneventful and easy.

As I got close to the Class B, I was handed off from Houston Center to Houston Approach. I asked them for clearance through Class Bravo airspace to my destination of West Houston (KIWS) and they were very happy to oblige. I was vectored through, but it was not a problem and they got me all the way to West Houston and then terminated radar services once I had the airport in sight. No problems and no issues.

Now, you do need to be listening carefully because there was alot of traffic and I made sure that when I heard my "number" I responded immediately. I can see where you hear so much communication that has nothing to do with you that it would be easy to miss a call. But I made sure that was not a problem.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help - it really did make it much easier. I know alot of friends of mine that avoid this area or flying through Class B airspace and I really don't think it is anything to be worried about. I enjoyed all the banter between ATC and the big boys!

Hopefully the ride home tomorrow will go just as well!

IMG_20180122_164826111_HDR_zpsizb5mtix.jpg

Very interesting thread and links for some of us that have never been near a Bravo.
Thanks

I'd circle the furthest Bravo line to the west and come into the airport from the west under the Bravo.

I'd circle the furthest Bravo line to the west and come into the airport from the west under the Bravo.
That obviously was a consideration, but I wanted to try to see what it would be like to ask for and receive permission to transit through the Class Bravo direct to the airport. Honestly, I am glad I did and it really was a non-issue just like so many have said it would be. I enjoyed the flight right through the middle of the airspace and got some really good views of the area. The controllers in this airspace really treated me great and were a great help vectoring me through the area and into the airport. Saved me alot of time and fuel and was very interesting.

I plan on departing tomorrow and asking for clearance again through Class Bravo to go home. Hopefully it will go as well!

So, tell us....What sequence did you use in contacting ATC

So, tell us....What sequence did you use in contacting ATC

Trying to remember....

Started off with East Texas departure asking for Flight Following...
Moved to Fort Worth Center
Moved to Houston Center
Moved to Houston Approach #1 (5 miles before Class B)
Moved to Houston Approach #2 (mid way through Class B)
Requested an end to radar service and moved to West Houston CTAF.

It really flowed very easily and the controllers I talked to were very professional and helpful. I jumped the gun with Houston Center when I was about 10 miles from Class Bravo and asked for Class Bravo clearance and he very nicely told me to wait until he passed me over to Approach. He passed me to Approach and Approach gave me clearance before I could ask for it.

Then came some vectors, altitude changes, and pretty much just kept me out of harms way until I got to KIWS.

It actually was kind of reassuring to have all of the help and they called out traffic for me all the way through.

Great experience.

Last edited:
Again, specific for your departure from KIWS tomorrow, call Clarence after your run-up and get your instructions before you launch. Less stress writing and tuning, and they'll be expecting you. It's not like that at every non-towered airport under a Bravo, but when the services are there, use them.

Again, specific for your departure from KIWS tomorrow, call Clarence after your run-up and get your instructions before you launch. Less stress writing and tuning, and they'll be expecting you. It's not like that at every non-towered airport under a Bravo, but when the services are there, use them.

yes, that is exactly what I planned on doing. Thanks for the advice.

That is not entirely correct. While that is common phraseology by ATC there is no one specific required magic phrase...you just need to receive an explicit "Clearance" to enter Bravo while VFR and the exact wording can vary depending on the situation..."cleared" will indeed be part of it.

If you ever not 100% certain that you received that clearance or there is any ambiguity...query ATC as it is on you.

Sounds like our intrepid friend made it into and through the Bravo just fine.

But just to close this out, your last sentence is exactly why I wouldn’t accept anything less than “cleared into”.

Asking takes seconds, dealing with a controller mistake could take anywhere from tens of minutes to much longer if recordings had to be pulled. Etc. Since it’s “on me” either way, I’ll be demanding the “magic words”. Much less of a waste of time.

“Approach we’re on an assigned altitude and/or heading that’s going to take us into the Bravo. You still want us on that?” Simple.

“Cessna XYZ possible pilot deviation, advise when ready to copy a phone number.” Pain in the butt. Possibly a big one.

Go simple whenever possible. Life will toss enough other Pain-In-The-Butt stuff you don’t need to let anyone else add to it.

First time I flew to KIWS, and over the golf course, I wondered if any aircraft on final got hit by a golf ball.

Back