Iced In

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
We got a couple of inches of snow overnight. I thought that since it was nice cold crunchy snow I would be able to get out of here this morning. We did get some rain yesterday evening before it became cold enough to snow, so I still had some doubt.

Turns out that under that snow there's some ice. I got about two thirds of the way up my driveway when the car said "No mas". My neighbor has an all wheel drive Rav4, and he can't get up his driveway either.

I went out to see if I could walk up the driveway. No problem, except for the tracks that the car made. It seems like there was some slush under the snow, and when you drive on it you just get wheelspin. No matter, the sun is up and it will melt in a few hours.

I went out to see if I could walk up the driveway. No problem, except for the tracks that the car made. It seems like there was some slush under the snow, and when you drive on it you just get wheelspin. No matter, the sun is up and it will melt in a few hours.

We have an inch+ here, with a thin layer of ice under it. Seems the first snow melted on the roads (mid-40s yesterday), then as temps dropped into the teens it froze, and snow continued to fall . . .

Sunshine is helping it to melt off, but many roads are in the shade and icy from cars driving on them. Work is closed, so I'm staying home. The forecast says we may not reach 32° today, so clearing the roads to go to work tomorrow will be a challenge.

We have an inch+ here, with a thin layer of ice under it. Seems the first snow melted on the roads (mid-40s yesterday), then as temps dropped into the teens it froze, and snow continued to fall . . .

Sunshine is helping it to melt off, but many roads are in the shade and icy from cars driving on them. Work is closed, so I'm staying home. The forecast says we may not reach 32° today, so clearing the roads to go to work tomorrow will be a challenge.

Same here. I'm guessing I'll be able to get to work on time tomorrow, but the schools will be closed one more day.

10* with wind chill of -12* here this am. Kids were off Mon, then yesterday, and now today again as we have snow and icy roads. Some places received a couple inches of snow last might. Had about 1/2" here.

What is this ice and snow of which you speak? o_O

Winter seems to have skipped Tucson Arizona.

I don't mean to be. I'm looking at the Daily Pic thread and getting envious of all you guys with snow. We usually get snow at my house which is 1000' above TUS elevation and we've even had an ice storm which closed the runway one year. This year however, 40's in the morning and 80's in the afternoon is just an annoying weather tease.

However, Zeldman seems like someone I'd like to meet so I'm gonna take that as a compliment.

Last edited:
I'm in Richmond right now with 2-3" on the ground...I think. Haven't been out since it started snowing.

I have to drive back home tomorrow to Raleigh - understand they are expecting 6-7" by the time this stops.

Back in PA I had a driveway that was steep and had a 160 degree turn in it (on the hill part). Uphill to get out. It took me a couple vehicles to get it right, but I ended up finding that my 4x4 Ford Excursion with good tires on it could get up the driveway most of the time. I also installed a chain across the top end of the driveway which I could attach a winch cable to to winch myself out of the driveway. More often if I knew it would be bad, I parked at the top of the driveway and just walked up in the morning to make getting to work easier.

However, the best vehicle I had, that was completely unstoppable, was my Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with studded snow tires on it. The combination of all wheel drive and studded snow tires meant almost nothing could get in its way. I kept the car high enough off the ground that ground clearance wasn't an issue.

As expected, school is closed, apparently the governor declared a state of emergency for some counties, including ours.

There was a nasty multi-tractor trailer crash on I-85 not far from Gainesville earlier, closed the highway for a number of hours. Every time we get a snowfall it seems we get some horrible highway blocking truck crashes.

Went shopping this afternoon. Only sparse spots of snow on the road where it was in shade.

Two-three inches of powdery snow here in East Cobb/Marietta where we live. Where people drove on it, it turned into a quarter inch of ice. Getting to the interstate this morning was the biggest issue I faced. This afternoon, the 5 lane road I have to take to get to and from the interstate was still 5 lanes of ice for a considerable portion of its length. It seemed that the farther up I-75 I drove this morning, there was less snow.

We have a "just released from surgery dog" I have to walk several times a day. It was rather brisk this morning @12F with windchill when we went out. She didn't seem to mind (being in her fur coat). I did, being in shorts...

We got a couple of inches of snow overnight. I thought that since it was nice cold crunchy snow I would be able to get out of here this morning. We did get some rain yesterday evening before it became cold enough to snow, so I still had some doubt.

Turns out that under that snow there's some ice. I got about two thirds of the way up my driveway when the car said "No mas". My neighbor has an all wheel drive Rav4, and he can't get up his driveway either.

KPDK was closed today until 10am tomorrow.

Here in Lower Alabama, we still have pretty solid ground cover, but many roads are clearing up where they had direct sunshine. Work is closed tomorrow, too . . . .

I was hoping to get over to Middlebury tomorrow to have my GMX-200 pulled and sent in for repair... but as it turns out, the only runway at 6B0 is closed due to ice on the runway. Not expected to reopen before Saturday. Bummer. :(

What is this ice and snow of which you speak? o_O

Winter seems to have skipped Tucson Arizona.

You are about as bad as Zeldman.

Jiminy.... just because we live in the best part of the country everyone hates on us....:lol::lol::lol:

I kind of miss the snow as well. So far this winter all we have got is just a light dusting. We need the moisture..!!!

Jiminy.... just because we live in the best part of the country everyone hates on us....:lol::lol::lol:

I kind of miss the snow as well. So far this winter all we have got is just a light dusting. We need the moisture..!!!
Well if y'all weren't being so smug about it. ;)

Hey Zeldman, you'll like this being the racer that you are. Dale Jr. lost control on an icy road yesterday and crashed his pickup into a tree.

Yep, even those with high skill levels can err in bad conditions. Something for all of us to consider when going about our daily lives and especially when driving and flying. Be safe!

I drove in this morning. Some of the neighborhood roads are still impassible. I took a slightly alternate way this morning, since I know one stretch that I usually use was probably still iced over, and hilly as well, but with caution you could get where you were going. Fortunately traffic was lighter than usual.

Well if y'all weren't being so smug about it. ;)

Hey Zeldman, you'll like this being the racer that you are. Dale Jr. lost control on an icy road yesterday and crashed his pickup into a tree.

Yep, even those with high skill levels can err in bad conditions. Something for all of us to consider when going about our daily lives and especially when driving and flying. Be safe!

Wet Ice is the great equalizer. Everyone will slide on the ice.

Just to make some people feel better, we got about 4 inches of snow last night. Roads were slippery this morning, and will be slippery Monday morning, and every morning for a week as well.

And for the next two weeks it will be ice in the morning, followed by mud in the afternoon, and ice again when the sun goes down.

I went to let the dogs out this morning, one took off running laps around the yard. The other one said forget this and turned around and went back inside.

Now I have to shovel the porches and the rear walk to the garage.

I hope shoveling snow doesn't lead to a heart attack....

Is everyone is happy now...??? :lol::lol::lol:

Just to make some people feel better, we got about 4 inches of snow last night. Roads were slippery this morning, and will be slippery Monday morning, and every morning for a week as well.

And for the next two weeks it will be ice in the morning, followed by mud in the afternoon, and ice again when the sun goes down.

I went to let the dogs out this morning, one took off running laps around the yard. The other one said forget this and turned around and went back inside.

Now I have to shovel the porches and the rear walk to the garage.

I hope shoveling snow doesn't lead to a heart attack....

Is everyone is happy now...??? :lol::lol::lol:

In my best Deniro voice.

You talkin’ to me?

Back