Name this aircraft

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Here’s something unusual. Can anybody name it?
6C4987B2-C3E9-4912-9D7A-873DD1566128.jpeg

Adam aircraft A500
That was fast. I should’ve known I couldn’t stump the POA for more than five minutes.

Came across this on the web and thought it was rather unique.

They were based in Centennial, CO, at KAPA. There is an Adam Road at the airport, and unrelated Adams County.

An actual Adams 500 is on display at Denvers Wings Over The Rockies museum. Looks neat from the outside.

I saw that on trade a plane last week. I see it started as one of Burt Rutan's designs, and yet another unsuccessful one at that.

That has to be the very definition of an orphan airplane.

I know very little about it, but always enjoyed looking at them. Were they thinking about a VLJ at some point?

Only good parts of Miami Vice.

I think the state of New Mexico has a couple. Last I heard they were always on the lookout for any planes or parts.

I knew a guy a number of years back that had a deposit on one of those. Not sure if he ended up getting it before they went bankrupt.

I think remember reading that some of the aircraft were essentially grounded due to parts availability issues.

I think the state of New Mexico has a couple. Last I heard they were always on the lookout for any planes or parts.

Yeah, my first thought was wondering what the parts availability is for it... My guess is that would be a nightmare...:mad2:

Speaking of New Mexico, I think the Eclipse Jet and One Aviation’s days are numbered.

They only delivered seven aircraft...:yikes: What a run...:goofy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_A500

From Wikipedia:
"With the 230 US gal (870 l) fuel tanks full, the available payload for crew, passengers and baggage is 160 lb (73 kg), down from a projected 720 lb (327 kg). This means that the A500 cannot carry full fuel and one standard weight adult male or female pilot"

A fine piece of engineering, I tell ya. I'm amazed they sold even one.

Please, just say no!!!!

It's rising!

images

That was fast. I should’ve known I couldn’t stump the POA for more than five minutes.

Many of us serve on the Google site, where we are fed the first few letters of the public's searches, and we fill in the rest so that they can select, within microseconds, from a variety of options.

General info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Aircraft_Industries

the last aopa article about it 'rising' (I did not know about the failed Russian attempt and Triton's acquisition)
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2011/april/21/adam-a500-aircraft-to-rise-again

6 registered A500 (piston) 5 valid, 1 expired registrations
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_Results.aspx?Mfrtxt=ADAM+AIRCRAFT&Modeltxt=&PageNo=1

896MH, 511AX flew 8 yrs ago
607SF blocked
510AX flew 2 days ago!
558MC flew 8yrs ago
509AX flew 8mo ago!

Please, just say no!!!!

Hey! Hey!. I like the Mixmaster. Especially the planes with pressurization and the milspec engines. They can scoot right along.
I know, they are noisy, but since I am seriously anti-social, the noise is welcome.
It cuts down on annoying chit chat with passengers and even the occasional tower.

There is a local guy with the plane I'm talking about.
Beautiful aircraft. Pressurized, big engines, stol options, with the airframe beefed up so he can do aerobatics in it.
It's parked 7 miles (straight line distance away) and when the wind is right I swear I can hear it when he starts it up. :)

The Adam 500 was a neat concept. The composite fuselage was supposed to save weight but came in over 1000 lbs heavier than if they would have used aluminum. Full fuel useful load was under 160 lbs, and with 2 engines, it was fairly thirsty so it needed a lot of fuel to go places. It would have been a nice competitor for the Mirage/M350 for those that liked having 2 engines in a piston pressurized cross country plane. They could have solved the weight issue with 2 turbines, but then feeding 2 turbines with only 230 gallons of fuel, would have given it anemic range. Was close to a great design, but came up short on the engineering side.

Back