For Sale 1965 pa28 140 w/160hpSTC

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
60XXTT, 15XX since "0" time Penn Yan oh in1998. January annual, flying regularly. Garmin 430W with indicator, Narco 12D w/GS. January IFR cert. All compressions high 70's, clean cylinders and valves. Full details and pics www.6647W.weebly.com. Belonged to a good friend who's recently passed. I was a partner in this plane for 20years before buying a Comanche. Good little bird.
Asking $29k

60XXTT, 15XX since "0" time Penn Yan oh in1998. January annual, flying regularly. Garmin 430W with indicator, Narco 12D w/GS. January IFR cert. All compressions high 70's, clean cylinders and valves. Full details and pics www.6647W.weebly.com. Belonged to a good friend who's recently passed. I was a partner in this plane for 20years before buying a Comanche. Good little bird.
Asking $29k
very nice bird!.. I will definitely check with local PA28 pilots and see what kind of performance they are getting. I think 160hp may be just on the edge of performance envelope.

Looks like a great deal for someone. Can a -140 be upgraded to 180hp?

very nice bird!.. I will definitely check with local PA28 pilots and see what kind of performance they are getting. I think 160hp may be just on the edge of performance envelope.
The Hershey bar wing is not a great performer at altitude and you will struggle to get above 11K. This probably isn't the right plane if you are operating year round from 5,600 ft, as you mentioned in a previous thread. I do think it is a great deal at $29k, though.

The Hershey bar wing is not a great performer at altitude and you will struggle to get above 11K. This probably isn't the right plane if you are operating year round from 5,600 ft, as you mentioned in a previous thread. I do think it is a great deal at $29k, though.

Man mine climbs at a snails pace past 9000 feet...what type of climb rate do you get past 9k out of curiosity?

Yeah, after about 10k I didn’t see more than 100ft/min. Less the more you climb.

Yeah, after about 10k I didn’t see more than 100ft/min. Less the more you climb.

Climbing out of 9k I would sometimes be getting 0 ft/min! Usually between 50-100 fpm ha

Should make someone a good starter airplane. Price looks good for an IFR airplane.

Man mine climbs at a snails pace past 9000 feet...what type of climb rate do you get past 9k out of curiosity?

We're out east, so in all candor most of my flying in that airplane was 8k and below. I seem to recall 250fpm from 6 to 8k though, one aboard, fuel to tabs.

We're out east, so in all candor most of my flying in that airplane was 8k and below. I seem to recall 250fpm from 6 to 8k though, one aboard, fuel to tabs.

Yea it’s a great plane out East. Even here out West it’s fine for most places. Just wish it had a little more oomph

Oh maaaaaaan. This is SOOO close to what I'm looking for. My local field is at 3500' and I'm working on my instrument rating. This could work...

C'mon boys, this is a nice plane, well equipped for not a lot of money. I hate to see my friend's wife carry the hangar and other costs so I have a second plane to fly...

Ok for mild weather, but 180 is really needed in the summer around here unless you have zero interest in trips to the west other than the long route around the hills. Remember that DA on the ground along the Front Range can easily hit 9000 msl.

Y'all really need to review the RoC for the classifieds and quit taking a chit on the listings.

Above 11,000 ft? Anybody wanting to do that in a Cherokee 140 should look for one with the optional built-in factory O2 system. :rolleyes:

My '61 Cherokee 160 worked fine off the 4000 ft ASL airport it was based at. Summer performance was adequate, as long as I kept it light. My experience is the same as others have posted; 9000 ft was about the practical altitude limit with any load. They are great airplane's for what they are capable of doing imo, and I'll take a Cherokee over a 172 every time.

Above 11,000 ft? Anybody wanting to do that in a Cherokee 140 should look for one with the optional built-in factory O2 system. :rolleyes:

My '61 Cherokee 160 worked fine off the 4000 ft ASL airport it was based at. Summer performance was adequate, as long as I kept it light. My experience is the same as others have posted; 9000 ft was about the practical altitude limit with any load. They are great airplane's for what they are capable of doing imo, and I'll take a Cherokee over a 172 every time.
I loved my Cherokee, but I ultimate sold it because I do have a need for high altitude performance at times (yes, I have an O2 tank-portable ). My dad lives in Big Bear (6,700 feet) and I am just below Tahoe with a season pass to Northstar. I am surrounded by real mountains and have wanted/needed to be up that high a handful of times. I never stayed there for long, though. I will say, circling Lake Tahoe at 11,000+ feet is worth doing at least once.

Edit: This plane is a great deal at the price offered and a Cherokee is a great ride. It handles two passengers with pretty much as much luggage as you can stuff in the back. I had some great camping trips with all the gear I could haul.

Last edited:
That is a great looking plane. I love the seats and the panel.

And for that price, this plane is a hell of a deal

Just flew this airplane yesterday. Nice little bird here waiting for the right person/couple to enjoy!

That is a really super deal on a nicely equipped Cherokee. Yeah, its not so good out west, but nothing short of a Skylane really is. I even filled the seats on mine, several times with adults. It did just fine.

Back