Three weird things today

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
After months of relative tranquility, three kind of odd things with today's flight:
The weather was hazy, but GA pilots came out of the woodwork to enjoy some milder temperatures near Chicago. As we departed KARR enroute to KRFD, we were advised by Chicago Apch of traffic maneuvering at 3,200 feet. So we stayed near 2,000 and looked up. This put us close to KDKB, which had a full pattern at the time.
We had traffic information available, so we could see that there were many targets by DKB. Therefore, we deviated off our course to the west to avoid the traffic area.
Once we were clear of that airport, we turned back toward KRFD to the northwest.
We called RFD Apch to call inbound. However, they had another Piper Cherokee who was No Radio.
We tried a couple calls, but they were focused on the NORDO. Therefore, we deviated off course to the north to avoid their airspace until they had time to answer us.
RFD had another aircraft try to call the NORDO. After a five minutes, they told that pilot to "disregard," because the NORDO appeared to be turning out to land at Poplar Grove.
So RFD Apch finally answers us and we proceed inbound to RFD.
We did a touch and go on Runway 19 and turned toward KDPA.
After checking in with the KDPA Tower, they directed us to set up for a right base for Runway 20R. Immediately afterward, they tried responding to an aircraft which was trying to call inbound.
After a few unsuccessful tries, the aircraft finally answered and said it was having electrical problems (hence the carrier-wave-only transmissions). This experimental was told to enter the right downwind for Runway 20R.
The tower then asked if the experimental was having other problems. He said, "Yes."
He had lost one of his magnetos and was operating on battery power only for communications.
The pilot said that he could not tell what his RPMs were. (Doesn't sound like fun to me).
So the tower makes the experimental number one and clears him to land. The tower had us circle to the north to follow the experimental. Then, they switched us to enter a right downwind for Runway 28.
I have pretty good eyesight. I was disappointed that the haze made it impossible to spot this guy on the base for 20R.
The tower asked to call our base and told us to turn in for runway 28 after a couple minutes. I am fine with the tower doing things like this, but my eyesight is usually good enough that I can pick up traffic in the pattern. Not the tower's fault. The haze was frustrating me.
I was also wanting to see how my compatriot in the experimental was going to fare. Never saw him land on 20R. Dang haze.
At least the segment from KDPA to KARR was routine. I wish the visibility had been better for my two passengers. I am hoping to get them into the flying club.
Shoot, I may just have to take them up another time! :)

I was out there today too. I departed ARR (have a hangar at skyhaven) around 10:15 am. It was a bit hazy but it was smooth like glass and nice and warm today (relative). I was doing my BFR and was circling over DKB doing stalls, steep turns and shut down the left engine and feathered it. We then did a few landings and DKB and there were several in the pattern. It was hard to see the planes visually today with the haze, snow on the ground still and fact that most planes are painted haze/snow white. It was a nice day to have on board traffic for sure. Got in to work after my flight at the TRACON and noticed an unusually high volume of VFR's out today. First +40 degree day of the new year, vfr and calm winds. We should meet up for a hangar beer one day, haven't met many of the local pilots...hangars always seem to be closed.

How much are you paying for the hangar at SkyHaven? I am debating between Dupage and Aurora. Dupage is closer but if the price differential is nice, I could do the drive.

How much are you paying for the hangar at SkyHaven? I am debating between Dupage and Aurora. Dupage is closer but if the price differential is nice, I could do the drive.
I looked into hangars at DPA before getting one at ARR. DPA is slightly closer to my house.

At DPA you can only rent and they want, in my opinion, too much money for non-heated not well insulated/lighted hangars. At skyhaven you can buy a hangar as opposed to throwing away money on rent (they do have some for rent if you don't want to buy). Skyhaven hangars are night and day nicer than DPA. Mine has upgraded lighting, upgraded tile floors, very well insulated and heated. As a member there you have access to their pilot lounge which has a full bathroom to include shower, a living room, t.v., computer and wifi that covers most of the hangars.

The overall feeling at ARR has that small town nice feel. At DPA, I felt like they cater to the business jet types more than our type of GA. I use Lumanair for my maintenance and they have been great and if you need an avionics shop, JA is at the field as well. Lumanair offers pay at the pump price for full service if you base at skyhaven.

Is that your Bo in your pic? Where are you currently keeping it? If you want to look around skyhaven, let me know and we can meet up and I can show you around.

I literally just finished my insurance checkout with JA Air. The radio shop there had it for a long time (too long, but that’s another story) and the weather wasn’t nice after that until just recent.
I have it tied out at DPA now, but I need a hangar. DPA has a lot for rent, but no heat. The one listed online at Skyhaven isn’t available. I don’t want to purchase just yet, so a rental for me. ARR has a community hangar, but I don’t know if there is space. I am going to make some calls this week and then pick the best.

I did almost all my training out of DPA, and its between my house and work, but I agree. DPA is just too big and spread out for any real community feel.

I literally just finished my insurance checkout with JA Air. The radio shop there had it for a long time (too long, but that’s another story) and the weather wasn’t nice after that until just recent.
I have it tied out at DPA now, but I need a hangar. DPA has a lot for rent, but no heat. The one listed online at Skyhaven isn’t available. I don’t want to purchase just yet, so a rental for me. ARR has a community hangar, but I don’t know if there is space. I am going to make some calls this week and then pick the best.

I did almost all my training out of DPA, and its between my house and work, but I agree. DPA is just too big and spread out for any real community feel.

Some folks used to hang out together at the echo t-hangars but you are right, it is big and spread out.

My hangar neighbor just sold his plane. It's a nice heated T at skyhaven. Let me see if I can get in touch with him if he wants to rent it and for how much.

Didnt mean to sidetrack the post talking about hangars, but let me know!

I sent an email to the skyhaven email asking about any availability. They came back and said there is nothing available unless its on the website. The crappy thing is, there is one on the website and its not available...

Back