Why does a VOR approach still exist for decommissioned VOR?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Per this thread, the Hobby VOR (HUB) was decommissioned in Dec 2014. (Edit: Disregard...wrong VOR!)

However, T41 still has a VOR-A approach published that requires this VOR. (Not sure if that link always points to the most current procedure, or if it changes when the new pub comes out, but if the link breaks, you can find it via other means...here's the Airnav page for T41, for instance--just scroll down for the instrument procedures.)

So why has the VOR approach persisted for three years after the VOR it relies on has been decommissioned?

Last edited:
I don't see that it's been decommissioned. It still appears to be alive and well on the latest (Foreflight) sectional chart.

Edit: I did find this in the airport NOTAMs.

HUB VOR/DISTANCE MEASURING EQUIPMENT OUT OF SERVICE. 01 DEC 21:44 2017 UNTIL 28 NOV 16:11 2019. CREATED: 01 DEC 21:46 2017

Last edited:
OK, too early in the morning...got my VORs confused. (These two VORs are two that I have "watched" for years, and while the DTN VOR *was* officially decommissioned, the HUB VOR has just been OTS more often than not for the last several years.)

The KHOU notams currently include this line:
12/010 HUB NAV VOR/DME OUT OF SERVICE 1712012144-1911281611

So, OTS through Nov 2019. HUB is on the list of VORs to be decommissioned by 2020, so I don't expect it will actually ever be repaired. Wonder why they don't just kill it and be done, if that's where it's headed anyway.

There are FDC NOTAMS on the STARS but not the VOR-A. Has to be a screw-up. And, they are now furloughed.

Back