Plane of your choice

TBM...the WWII Avenger kind.

To me, a TBM is the Avenger, and it doesn’t/shouldn’t require a clarification. That turboprop thing should be referred to as “TBM...the not Avenger, kind”.

I guess to those of us who grew up building model airplanes and reading and learning about WW2 aviation, and talking with those who actually flew these things, hearing “TBM” always brings to mind this:

d1441af45a53e6d1c59711b22d55666b.jpg

not this:

7697c4208c60dd00bd2b32db12127715.jpg

San Jose ground gave me taxi instructions one time to “pass behind the TBM.” I was all excited until I realized they were talking bout the turboprop thingy and not a piece of history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To me, a TBM is the Avenger, and it doesn’t/shouldn’t require a clarification. That turboprop thing should be referred to as “TBM...the not Avenger, kind”.

Along similar lines I was talking with another pilot recently, and he was talking about his “180.” He gave me a funny look when I said how much I love those Cessna taildraggers, and that I’ve always wanted a 180 or 185.

Turns out he was talking about a PA-28-180:

71baa012924a2d54478df038c7fa9a23.jpg

And not this:

609c4ce1d6d2114a0a2abb032078cec2.jpg

A Cessna 180? Nice airplane, would love to own one.
A Piper Cherokee with 180 HP? Meh, big, deal...

If you’re gonna talk about a 180, you should be talking about the Cessna, not a Cherokee. Call it a Cherokee, or even a Cherokee 180, but don’t call it just a 180. Geeze. Just my opinion, of course... (rant mode off)

My most wanted plane without hesitation is this little jewel I fell in love with after a demo flight at Oshkosh last year.

JMB VL3-

the-vl-3-and-jmb-63648_399_969X727.jpg

Fits me and my "mission" perfectly. My only complaints with it are, I wish the baggage area were better, I wish it had a real name and not sound like a license plate and I wish I could afford one.

I guess to those of us who grew up building model airplanes and reading and learning about WW2 aviation, and talking with those who actually flew these things, hearing “TBM” always brings to mind this:

not this:

San Jose ground gave me taxi instructions one time to “pass behind the TBM.” I was all excited until I realized they were talking bout the turboprop thingy and not a piece of history.

DHC-2 Beaver with a big ol' round engine. <--- Unrealistic pipe dream thread choice right there.

We're about 75% of the way through a total bathroom remodel, from the subfloor to the rafters, and I've had a few realistic pipe thread dreams lately... Weird.

Cockpit Footage TBM Avenger Emergency Landing Arsenal of Democracy VE Day Flyover

Wow, just... wow.

Imagine the bravery and sacrifice of those who had to experience combat with their planes shot up and on fire miles away from safety. Glad this guy was able to land safely and that it was a hydraulic leak instead of a fire.

Last edited:

not this:

In order to avoid confusion, we could go back to calling the Grumman Avenger by its initial Navy designation, "TBF". "TBM" refers to a General Motors built Avenger. Or we could say "Grumman Avenger".

Last edited:

not this:

Didn't George Bush fly one during WW2? Or was it another Navy fighter?

Didn't George Bush fly one during WW2? Or was it another Navy fighter?

The first President Bush. He did, got shot down too, he was the only survivor of the resulting crash. Considering how big and slow the Avenger was, it's not surprising.

Paul Newman served as crew in one as well.

The first President Bush. He did, got shot down too, he was the only survivor of the resulting crash. Considering how big and slow the Avenger was, it's not surprising.

Paul Newman served as crew in one as well.

My father-in-law told me when Bush served as President someone was looking around for one to celebrate Bush flying one for some occasion. There was one in Valdosta, Ga, and I think the owner agreed to loan it. He said they (forget who) completely restored it to one like Bush flew. Markings, etc. Not sure if the owner got it back or if it's in a museum somewhere.

Most attorney's will think that aircraft have titles like cars. Ask him how aircraft are owned, see if he knows. What you need is someone else's contract where they have, over the years, thought of everything and added things as they come up. Still, not going to cover everything. Problems occur when there is a lack of money on partners part to pay his bill.

My father-in-law told me when Bush served as President someone was looking around for one to celebrate Bush flying one for some occasion. There was one in Valdosta, Ga, and I think the owner agreed to loan it. He said they (forget who) completely restored it to one like Bush flew. Markings, etc. Not sure if the owner got it back or if it's in a museum somewhere.

Might be in one at Pensacola. My mission, fly family of 4 on vacation, some travel for work, and some dive trips to the Bahamas with friends. If I wasn't paying DA62 would be top of my list, I will "settle" for an RV-10 though.

Might be in one at Pensacola. My mission, fly family of 4 on vacation, some travel for work, and some dive trips to the Bahamas with friends. If I wasn't paying DA62 would be top of my list, I will "settle" for an RV-10 though.

Also friends don't let friends use low quality avatars:

https://i.imgur.com/H6GarEA.jpg
H6GarEA.jpg

The full HQ version if you'd like a different panel:
http://garretthicks.oucreate.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/CH-Plane.jpg

Weirdly enough, the speech bubble in your current avatar is in a different panel than the original. Here's one without text:

https://i.imgur.com/BbPaelc.jpg
BbPaelc.jpg

Last edited:
G58 Baron. I just love the look of that plane, and it would do me just fine as far as mission goes.

Gulfstream, any model. Then I'd sell it and buy a C340A, spiff it up, and still have enough money left over to fund flying it forever.

Also friends don't let friends use low quality avatars:

https://i.imgur.com/H6GarEA.jpg
H6GarEA.jpg

The full HQ version if you'd like a different panel:
http://garretthicks.oucreate.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/CH-Plane.jpg

Weirdly enough, the speech bubble in your current avatar is in a different panel than the original. Here's one without text:

https://i.imgur.com/BbPaelc.jpg
BbPaelc.jpg

Thanks!!! I have been meaning to scan in a higher quality picture from that comic. Yes, I remember editing that to get those speech bubbles in that specific panel since I had to consider something funny in two panels down to one.

Extra 500

Pipe dream: P-38J

Maybe doable some day: Bearhawk

2nd Pipe Dream: Beech Stagger Wing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If you were given one plane of your choice what would it be? Take into the decision your mission, so it kind of as to fit that.

My mission is mainly ~250nm cross country into smaller (3000ft) paved strips. 2-3 people and a golden retriever.

My dream plane for my mission would be a Diamond DA62, although if I have to actually pay for it I'd probably go DA42.

I'd love to fly a Socata TBM, but it'd really be overkill and hourly cost would be much higher.
Without going into the obvious answers (P51D, SR71, F-14, etc.)... I could be very happy flying a Cessna 182 Turbo Skylane RG... It will comfortably handle the high density altitudes that go with summer in Colorado and make the hills to the west easy to cross... has the range and speed to make the trips my wife and I like to take easily do-able..

I'll limit my response to what I could possibly afford in the near future, not the outrageous out of the question planes.

A Cessna 182 would meet all my needs. A 180 would be what I would love. But a 140-170 will probably be closer to what I actually start searching for. I have a place in my heart for taildraggers and would love to own one.

But I just saw this on Barnstormers. Never seen this AC before and thought it was pretty cool. 157 kt cruise with a decent payload in a 4 seat taildragger, for ~20k? Sweet.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1334264_1950+Bellanca+Cruisemaster.html

20 years ago, I would have said Aerostar. 10 years ago, I would have said Socata TBM. Now, i realize I have no need or desire to travel frequently, and flying's just for fun. This looks like fun to me:

10797942185_e464375fe2_b.jpg

I'm going to give it a try once the weather warms up.

20 years ago, I would have said Aerostar. 10 years ago, I would have said Socata TBM. Now, i realize I have no need or desire to travel frequently, and flying's just for fun. This looks like fun to me:

10797942185_e464375fe2_b.jpg

I'm going to give it a try once the weather warms up.

That's why I bought a Breezy....breezy and me.jpg

Back