Anyone been to Cedar Key recently?

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
Just wondering if there is a porta potty on the field.

Also, how much is the taxi ride typically? Someone told me $20 each way...seems like too much.

I haven't been there in several years. Don't remember how much the taxi was but if it is 20, I'd say it's worth every penny. Cool car, nice lady that listens to unicom and picks you up quickly. Not sure how uber would work there and I for dang sure wouldn't make the walk.

It's a fun trip and great food. Enjoy.

There is, indeed, now a porta-potty - many thanks to vice-Mayor Sue Colson for keeping the pressure on the Levy County board to get it done (I put a bug in her ear about the pilots using the woods; which might contaminate the clam beds).
Don't know how much Judy is charging these days - I walk to the house. It really is a nice walk or bike ride downtown to the restaurants tho.
Uber?......hahahahaha. In CK?!

Also, be advised that depending where she might be on the Island, Judy might not hear you on 122.9 once you've landed. ....her cell is (352)949-2127

Last edited:
I always just walked into town, it's cedar key, not exactly a big place lol

I took the van a couple months ago. I believe it was $10 per person each way. The van is so inundated with smoke I smelled it while still 10 feet away when the door opened.

Personally, I thought it was too expensive for a 5 minute ride in a old smelly van.

Uh, what kind of smoke?

It's the islands mon!

images

My previous post was partially incorrect. It was $10 per person for the round trip. I still thought that was too much.

My previous post was partially incorrect. It was $10 per person for both directions. I still thought that was too much.

Buy a folding bike and have economical transportation no matter where you land.

Buy a folding bike and have economical transportation no matter where you land.
This is what I did. Plus I just like riding the bike paths around St Simons, Jekyll and Amelia Islands for the fun of it. I also look for nice weather too. :) I need to go check out Cedar Key. I've never been there.

Can’t fly a Grumman there cuz it might rain.....:rolleyes:

It is basically a fishing village with an air strip. We ride our folding bikes there, too.
Don't expect anything special and the food is ok. CDK is not near as pretty as Jekyll or St Simons but is good for a change.

This is what I did. Plus I just like riding the bike paths around St Simons, Jekyll and Amelia Islands for the fun of it. I also look for nice weather too. :) I need to go check out Cedar Key. I've never been there.

.....not near as touristy either....which is its real appeal.

First time looking at this. Roughly 3 hrs from my homebase. Might have to look into a trip. Has anyone camped there before? I could easily justify the trip if I could save money on lodging by popping a tent up near the beach. I see on the website it says "Camping by the plane is not allowed, but not rigidly enforced." I find it interesting that they add the, but not rigidly enforced to their website.

I've never seen anyone tent camping at KCDK.....and I spend a fair amount of time there.

I've never seen anyone tent camping at KCDK.....and I spend a fair amount of time there.

Should have been more clear in my last post. I'm just curious about camping in general in the Cedar Key area. Not actually on the field.

There are a number of RV-type campgrounds on the island- all a good distance from KCDK and poor fit for tent camping IMHO. No real beachy areas for pitching tent that I'm aware of.

Back