Which aviation-related services will stop in the government shutdown?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
In a previous government shutdown a few years ago, some but not all of NOAA weather forecast data just stopped. In particular, I recall that Skew-T data vanished, and commercial apps like SkewT-log pro just presented blank displays because they relied on upper air data from NOAA servers that got switched off.

Right now, just 20 minutes into the shutdown, there’s still upper air data being served.

I’m just wondering if anything that affects flight will be turned off this time.

For one, they suspend written test taking and/or processing new applicants.

I would guess this shutdown may be a little different than the previous "make it hurt" shutdown .

I would guess this shutdown may be a little different than the previous "make it hurt" shutdown .

Exactly. Congress has a lot of control over how painful it can be.

For this one, ‘essential’ functions will continue. Active duty Military will continue business as usual. ATC will still be up, but most govt civilians will be on vacation hoping that they will get back paid (they usually do). In short, no one will be answering the phones in OKC. Probably won’t reach anyone at the FSDOs either.

I imagine it will add to the delay for SIs and other deferred medicals.

For one, they suspend written test taking and/or processing new applicants.
Agree on processing applications, but why would written tests be suspended since they are administered by test centers that are non-governmental entities like Flight schools?

And aircraft registrations, pilot certificate processing....etc

... EAB certification, ferry permits, sign offs for A&P written exams, IA sign offs (good thing this isn't March in an odd year), field approvals, airworthiness certificate replacements, and more

Of course, you can pay a DAR a chunk of your money for some of these things if you are in a hurry.

IIRC, the government didn't collect some of the taxes and fees from the airlines during a previous shutdown, but some airlines kept that money anyway.

Can someone please explain to a dumb taxpayer (myself) what this government shutdown actually is? Does security simply shut down the buildings and noone can get in or our? Do politicians just camouflage their trip to Hawaii? How does the taxpayer-funded government shut down itself?
(and please keep it non-partisan, we don't need another redneck-vs-hippie debate)

Sometime our overlords feel the need to scare the peasants and try to convince them that they are still relivent and needed in their lives.

As far as I'm concerned.

Can someone please explain to a dumb taxpayer (myself) what this government shutdown actually is? Does security simply shut down the buildings and noone can get in or our? Do politicians just camouflage their trip to Hawaii? How does the taxpayer-funded government shut down itself?
(and please keep it non-partisan, we don't need another redneck-vs-hippie debate)

Urinating contest.

images
images
f8904c78b97df797a817227b91fab8f1--thrillers-writing-inspiration.jpg

It is just political party game playing.

Another who has the biggest ******

Senate just invoked cloture on a compromise by a vote of 81 to 18. Now they just need to hold the actual vote which should pass and then send it back to HR. And if they pass it, it goes to trump. This is just another CR to fund until Feb 8 then we can enjoy the freak show again. All this based on a promise by McConnell that he’ll hold a vote on DACA before Feb 8. So most likely the government will be fully back to work tomorrow but closed again on Feb 9 as this is all based on a promise by a politician.

They need to do their jobs and pass a freaking budget.

The important question is: Will anyone here suffer major inconveniences because of it? To be honest, I doubt it affects my life in any way. As of yet I wouldn't have known had it not been for reading the news.

The important question is: Will anyone here suffer major inconveniences because of it? To be honest, I doubt it affects my life in any way. As of yet I wouldn't have known had it not been for reading the news.

From a one work day shutdown? Unlikely.

And by budget you mean agree to plunge us further into debt.

What the government calls a budget, most businesses and individuals would call financial suicide

What the government calls a budget, most businesses and individuals would call financial suicide

This is true, but the USG has options that businesses don't have. You have to recognize two important differences:
1) Businesses cannot legally point guns at people and take money from them by force, whereas the USG can.
2) Businesses cannot legally print their own money, whereas the USG can.

This is true, but the USG has options that businesses don't have. You have to recognize two important differences:
1) Businesses cannot legally point guns at people and take money from them by force, whereas the USG can.

Details. Details.

There's a recreation area managed by the Forest Service near my house. They parked trucks and put up barricades to prevent people from driving into the parking lot over the weekend. Didn't prevent people from parking outside the boundary and walking in.

Well, the senate reached a deal to end the shutdown through Feb 8. Until next time, the fun is over!

NASA's Twitter account keeps tweeting that they will not be making Twitter updates during the shutdown. Same with the ISS Twitter acct.:eek:

0mKXcg1.gif

There's a recreation area managed by the Forest Service near my house. They parked trucks and put up barricades to prevent people from driving into the parking lot over the weekend. Didn't prevent people from parking outside the boundary and walking in.
Same here. NPS parking lots were chained closed so people parked on the street.

****ing politicians. :(

Ohhhh, I see you like guessing games. Ok I'll play.

Since they are going to their home state, ummmm... I'll guess traveling politicians!

Nope,wait, looks like four letters.
ummm.... rolling politicians!

Well maybe not. I know some are, but they don't inhale probably.

Ummm.... fishing politicians?
budging politicians?
judging politicians?
fudging politicians?
seeking?
soaking?
sicking?
sacking?

Am i getting close??!?!

Back