Mini 4 Yoke Mount

Cykoguy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cykoguy
Looking to yoke mount my mini 4 and I am having a hard time finding anything other than RAM. For those of you that do this what do you use?

I use a mygoflight. I used 3m command strips to attach the mygoflight to the yoke instead of an arm and clamp.

Recurring photos:

11309907325_e6b22867cf_z.jpg

11309910595_1e778c9205_z.jpg

A second mount and RAM arm adds a lot of rigidity:

17284924233_3d9e1f1ed5_z.jpg

I used the RAM handle bar mount to the yoke...but the ipad would hit me in the gut on full elevator, so it has been moved to a dash mount.

ADD80BEE-7510-400E-85AA-2715C94F84C7.jpeg D284978E-277A-4323-9A6A-70316D00DEB9.jpeg B30027B2-A568-4D63-98DA-55C3F453DC9B.jpeg My RAM mount install is a little unconventional but it works perfectly this way.

Ok, so this got me thinking. If you remove the folding stand mechanism from the otterbox lid, there's quite a bit of clearance... so I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a 1/4"-20 tee nut. That way, you can add a ram ball with a camera mount, sans velcro...

Really like the RAM stuff. One thing to consider, once I started trying to do instrument approaches with slightly older eyes, the yoke mount (or trying to zoom the iPad with pinch motions in turbulence where the yoke is constantly moving) wasn’t ideal.

I moved to using a dual suction cup ram base (not from RAM, someone on Amazon had a cheaper one) and X-Grip stuck to the windshield low and toward me, and got a multiple articulation arm so I could angle the iPad and put it right where I wanted it, so I could see over it (runway height by a glance) and also have it not block anything at all on the panel.

I tried lap mounts, and the aforementioned yoke mount before settling on this setup.

As a side benefit, if for some bad reason the gyros crapped the bed in IMC, it’s in a better place for using the AHRS from the transponder to ForeFlight’s synthetic vision as an emergency backup. I’m not sure I’d like to see the horizon line on the iPad tilting with the yoke. Mounted to the window makes more sense to me.

In fact, if the failure happened in cruise, it wouldn’t be super hard to loosen the mount and reposition it nearly in front of me to BLOCK the panel.

Just thoughts.

Ok, so this got me thinking. If you remove the folding stand mechanism from the otterbox lid, there's quite a bit of clearance... so I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a 1/4"-20 tee nut. That way, you can add a ram ball with a camera mount, sans velcro...

Came out pretty nicely.
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG

Which otterbox case is that? I can't seem to find that one on Amazon. They only list the defender that has the big hole in the middle. I've got the ram mount with 1/4" stud on order, just have to find a case for my Mini 4.

EDIT: Actually clicked on the link for the defender case and realized you all put the tee nut on the stand/cradle rather than the actual case. Got it!

Search ebay for mini4 hybrid case and for RAM mounts, combine the two with a few pieces of hardware, the attached photo is a mount for a Nexus 4

Attachments

• GPS Mount.png
    GPS Mount.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Back