Web resource for point-to-point distances?

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
Feel free to mock me after I ask this question:

I'm looking for a resource to provide me some simple distance/bearing between two points. I know I can use Airnav.com to get distances between airports. That's useful, but limited.

I'm looking for a tool or web resource that will tell me the distance between points (airports, VORs, intersections, etc.) that may not be on a chart. I.E. distance and bearing from KHHR to WILMA.

If it included Mexico, that'd be a bonus.

What's out there? Anything? I'm sure there is and I'm just missing it.

Yep. And Skyvector.com is world wide. All you have to do is right-click on a spot on the chart, and it gives various options that you can add to the flight plan window, and as soon as you have two or more waypoints entered, it gives you bearing and distance.

FAA VFR Wall Planning Chart
star-4.gif
- 1 customer reviews.

921.jpg

Ideal for preliminary VFR flight planning and makes a great wall poster! Depicts VORs, airports, class B airspace, special use airspace, urban areas, major highways, terrain contours, topographical features including bodies of water and more. Covering the 48 contiguous states, the VFR Wall Planning Chart uses a scale of 1:3,100,000. Includes all airports with runways greater than 4000'. Measures 59" x 36" inches open and comes rollled in a tube. Updated annually.

SHIPPING INFORMATION: Price includes individual shipping rolled in a tube. If you are ordering other items, this will arrive in a second shipment by itself. All FAA VFR Wall Planning Chart are shipped via USPS Priority Mail service.
To order any FAA (NOS) Aviation Chart please visit the FAA Chart Center where you can purchase the current release, the next release, or a subscription to any FAA Pilot Chart.
Now: $19.95
FREE SHIPPING!
freeship_truck.gif

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/7920

I use http://www.iflightplanner.com/AviationCharts/ for initial quick planning, since ForeFlight Web is quite limited and SkyVector is awkward since they changed their interface.

Do any web-based tools optimize cruising altitude? Help chart a course where if you flew a few miles over, terrain would be 2,000' lower? Or gave you a profile like ForeFlight iPad does?

For example, KBDU KDGW is 166nm straight-line and puts you through several high-altitude sectors above 10,000'. But KBDU KEAN KDGW only adds 5 miles and allows cruise at 8,500'. (Quick and imperfect example so no nit-picking. It's to demonstrate the desired function.)

Thanks

Try FlyQ. Seatle Avionics released an online planner, which does most of what you are looking for. Will do automatic route, optimize altitude based on winds, shows a profile view. Not sure if it has autorouting for terrain.

Back