Selling Plane

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Once someone hands over the cash, how do I actually sell the plane and transfer ownership? I own the plane so no banks involved.

Thanks,

Jesse

An AC 8050-2 is filled out and submitted. New owner sends in new registration form and all is good. That's how I did when I bought mine.

^^What he said. Along with the 8050-2 form, the buyer typically expects a bill of sale with the details of the transaction. It also is good for the seller, who will also keep a copy. The AOPA website has a good example bill of sale which can be modified to fit.

I had my seller fill out a bill of sale so I had proof of purchase price for state tax purposes.

The FAA doesn't care about the selling price.

My only advice is that if you or the seller are a LLC entity (which is common now for GA ownership) make darn sure you get the notation / signatures down correctly per the FAA guidelines for how they want LLC entities noted on the paperwork.

Look closely on the instructions for the FAA bill of sale form you have to submit and follow explicitly.

It took me three submissions to get my airplane ownership transferred - and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't take four!

Are you selling? Whatcha getting instead? :D

As others said, AC 8050-2 / bill of sale...I would add the words "as is, where is" to a written receipt...speaking from experience, as I was once sued by a nut job over an aircraft sale.

I would also recommend that you use the AOPA recommended forms.

Are you selling? Whatcha getting instead? :D

It is indeed up for sale. We want to move south. Then I’m debating something like a Tiger, or a partnership in something fancier like a Mooney or Bo. I’ve fallen in love with this IFR flying and want something quicker and more capable.

Not putting lots if avionics in a 1961. I will miss her though.

Damn
It is indeed up for sale. We want to move south. Then I’m debating something like a Tiger, or a partnership in something fancier like a Mooney or Bo. I’ve fallen in love with this IFR flying and want something quicker and more capable.

Not putting lots if avionics in a 1961. I will miss her though.

Totally understand...ifr is my favorite way to fly myself.

Good luck with the sale and the eventual move. Lets try to get the new England pilots together one more time before you go to see you and your bird off before you both go!

Might try for a brunch tomorrow. If I move it wont be until the summer so I’ll be around for a bit.

Back