New to me 310I

Kevin 310I

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin K
IMG_9625.JPG I bought a Cessna 310I back in July. Went through an extensive pre buy, did an annual, flew it and then started to upgrade the panel. Hopefully will fly it this week. Been in the shop for the last 2 months. Any tips from 310 owners would be greatly appreciated. I have about 10 hours on her and been very happy! Flew a mooney for the last 5 years before the twin. The high low fuel pumps is a little confusing. Also the flashing nav lights until the beacon comes on, a little different. Would like to meet some 310 pilots. Also taking the TTCF 4 day seminar in St. Petersburg FL
Regards Kevin Kuehn KGRB

Welcome to Twin Cessna ownership! I put 1,000 hours on the 310 that Cloud Nine had, loved it.

Congratulations! I want to own a 310 or similar twin some day. I didn't realize the plane was that tall though :eek::D

I have 310I time, but it was so long ago I can't give you anything specific. Flew the I, M, Q, and the R models in both Air Taxi and training ME students. A fun twin, not as easy to land as 400 series Cessnas. The R was the best for W&B. I would highly recommend a W&B prior to each flight, at least until you get an idea of how to load it. Fun plane to fly, you and your wife will enjoy it. Stay proficient on emergency procedures and SE flying.

Yeah, I would call that a high low wing.
Congrats and fly safe!

ps.... there's a scene in American Made where they are both in the same seat. ;)
I wan't to say don't do it, but....but I can't.

Congratulations and welcome... That's one nice looking 310. The fuel pumps are pretty straight forward... Low for T/O, landings and high altitude (above 12,000). The High setting is for a engine driven pump failure. At least that the case for mine.. Check your operator's manual...

Where are you based???

PoA adds another piston twin owner. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
We trust you understand this puts you on the official Church of Cirrus list of the excommunicated. ;)

And BTW, we expect pictures of the upgraded panel as soon as you get it out of the shop. :cool:

Last edited:
Congratulations Kevin! Beautiful bird!

Congratulations! I want to own a 310 or similar twin some day. I didn't realize the plane was that tall though :eek::D
Yeah it is. I'm 6' and it still seems big. I received some dual in a 310T and it feels like you're flying a BIG airplane when you're used to flying single engine Cessna's all the time. A very capable airplane!

PoA adds another piston twin owner. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
We trust you understand this puts you on the official Church of Cirrus list of the excommunicated. ;)

And BTW, we expect pictures of the upgraded panel as soon as you get it out of the shop. :cool:

In this case being excommunicated isn't that bad...:goofy:

That’s great Kevin. 310s are wonderful airplanes. Have you joined the Twin Cessna Flyers yet?

@Kevin 310I beautiful bird you got there! I bought a Q model last year. While this forum is great and has several twin cessna guy's here, I'd ask any questions about the maintenance and operation of your new bird on the TTCF forum. Those guys are very knowledgeable and will answer fairly quickly. @Twin_Flyer answered the fuel pumps well for you. I agree with him on the pumps. I crank the engines and then turn them on low. Taxi, run-up, depart and land on low. At 1000 agl I turn them off and leave them off except for switching between aux and mains and operating above 12K.

I just did my BFR today and we shut down the left engine and feathered it. I was at 6000 and climbing at ~300 fpm above blue line (I should have held blue line just to see how well she does until the top). These are great single engine performers in the light twin world.

When you get a chance, post about how your panel started and where you are going with it. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Man, the availability of information on the internet is scary sometimes that you could just pull that up.

He gave me four things to work with that were really powerful:
  1. His full name.
  2. His location.
  3. A photo.
  4. A fairly complete LinkedIn profile.
Small other things helped, too, like the fact that he owned a pricey-to-run twin could eliminate several job titles pretty quickly as being unable to swing that kind of cost. Nice thing about LinkedIn, unlike other social networks, is that you don't put anything there that you don't want to be found. @Kevin 310I wanted to be found, and so I did!

I also work for the company, which helps. I didn't do anything you couldn't have done, but I do know the ins and outs of finding the info pretty well. In fact, I can't find anything you couldn't find due to the privacy guards set up internally. (There are exceptions, of course, but they usually require you to give explicit consent to customer service.)

EDIT: By "the company", I mean LinkedIn.

Last edited:
I was thinking (scary I know) and I believe the 310I I flew at the FBO had some engine conversion or something, maybe like 300 ponies a side, maybe more. It was fast I do know that.

He gave me four things to work with that were really powerful:
  1. His full name.
  2. His location.
  3. A photo.
  4. A fairly complete LinkedIn profile.
Small other things helped, too, like the fact that he owned a pricey-to-run twin could eliminate several job titles pretty quickly as being unable to swing that kind of cost. Nice thing about LinkedIn, unlike other social networks, is that you don't put anything there that you don't want to be found. @Kevin 310I wanted to be found, and so I did!

I also work for the company, which helps. I didn't do anything you couldn't have done, but I do know the ins and outs of finding the info pretty well. In fact, I can't find anything you couldn't find due to the privacy guards set up internally. (There are exceptions, of course, but they usually require you to give explicit consent to customer service.)
Can I get a last name and a photo of you real quick? ;)

welcome,nice choice of aircraft,hope you enjoy it.

It is when you are 5'5" and my wife is 5'
Kevin
Beautiful airplane! My brother and I co-owned a 310H for a while, many years ago. Loved that airplane. Fast, comfortable, solid. Looking at your photo, my first thought was - I didn't remember the 310 being so big... :)

Welcome to the club! I bought an R model back in May and absolutely love it. Join TTCF if you haven't already. You certainly got a pretty bird, enjoy it!

Welcome and Congrats on the 310. Beautiful plane!!!!

LOL...I'm not hiding. I have the N-number of my aircraft listed, so it's not much more work than that to find me.

But, here, I'll let you cheat: http://linkedin.com/in/arnoha

Yeah, it's that easy. ;)
Ah I spent a couple minutes trying to do it before saying anything, didn't even think about checking the planes tail number

Congrats on your C-310. I am going into year 3 of owning my C-310K...i will be putting it for sale later this year however.

On fuel pumps:
Low = take-off (great tool to control cylinder head temperatures (CHTs) during climbs), landing & probably high altitudes (never needed to turn it on up to 14,000ft...)
High = for engine failures only...presumably caused by failure of engine-driven fuel pump...only comes in during your engine failure checklist.
Middle = Off position. I use this for start-up, taxi & cruising

A few tips:
1. Join Twin Cessna Flyers & Beechtalk. You will get faster response on Beechtalk but more model specific advise on Twin Cessna flyers....response on Twin cessna flyers can be slooooooow!
2. Make sure your gear is rigged every year...to ensure the work is done, ask for the torque values for each gear, and have them send you pictures of the torque measurements. It only takes about 5hrs to do by a shop familiar with Twin Cessnas. Most anything else can be done by competent A&Ps...
3. Get an engine monitor. This will save you tons of money on troubleshooting & can forecast impending issues. expensive, but well worth it.
4. Never climb out at Vy or Blue line (unless for obstruction clearance). It's hard on your cylinders (high CHTs)...climbing at 120-130kts still provides > 1,000ft/min even in the summer and loaded heavy.
5. Never side-load the gear, and never make high speed turn-offs...this will help keep cracks from appearing on the gear attachment points...manage your landing speeds accordingly.
6. These planes are capable of being flown very slowly (60kts dirty stall if VG equipped) and at relatively low fuel burn...if you can handle the boredom, you can lean back to 125-130KIAS & 13-14gph total (17'MP & 2300RPM and lean till just before stumble).
7. upgrade to LEDs...you will find the old GE bulbs will die quick deaths in these planes...not sure why, but that was my experience.
8. In flight, there are no visible lights on the 310 to help others spot you (beacon's not bright enough in daylight). I added Cowl-mounted lights on the plane, and it's resulted in other aircraft seeing & avoiding me...especially in the pattern.

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome... That's one nice looking 310. The fuel pumps are pretty straight forward... Low for T/O, landings and high altitude (above 12,000). The High setting is for a engine driven pump failure. At least that the case for mine.. Check your operator's manual...

Where are you based???
Green Bay WI
Thanks for the info

Kevin:

Beautiful bird! I never really paid any attention to the 310s until I rode in the one Cloud 9 had, with Ted; I found it very roomy and was impressed by the performance. 4-up summer in Arkansas, and Ted demonstrated excellent single-engine performance.

Green Bay area - you know my old college friend Dr. Richard Harrison? He just upgraded airplanes...

--

Edit: One of my principal aviation mentors is similar in height to you - he calls it "fun size." Funny thing, though: I have several good friends who are not "tall," but when I think about them, their stature is substantial. Funny how that works.

congratulations. Looks like a beautiful bird. For almost year I have been thinking about getting into a twin. What does your research show about different models of 310? Is there one model which is better than other?

congratulations. Looks like a beautiful bird. For almost year I have been thinking about getting into a twin. What does your research show about different models of 310? Is there one model which is better than other?
Mine is a 1964 I with IO 470 U engines. I have read this was a very good engine. Before 1964 the exhaust went over the wing causing corrosion issues. 64 and up to I believe 68 used augmentor tubes to draw the exhaust under the wing and draw air thru the engine to cool it and not require cowl flaps. I think all 310s are good designs. Finding one that has been flown regularly and taken care of is the challenge. The older ones that I came across had newer paint and interiors than ones that were in the 1970s. Mine has a nice newer paint job and a new leather interior. It showed me that the owner cared and had pride of ownership. What good is a glass panel with a ratty interior that your wife, or girlfriend, won't want to be seen in. My plane was upgraded with new and newer steam gauges that I arranged on a panel that I manufactured myself. The engines are strong and it took about 3 months to shake the bugs out so I can just get in and go. Good luck with your search. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards
Kevin

Last edited:
Back